Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:01 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times

Advertisements

I think we should be mindful of where the products we use come from and the suffering, pain, death that are caused by our decisions.
If each of us were just a bit more sensitive to the suffering around us, we would each modify our habits a bit and the world would be on its way towards being a better place.
All of this hatred and fighting and negativity - in the long run it bodes ill for all of us.
Just let us make decisions in our own lives to try to alleviate the misery of others a bit. Nobody can argue that the suffering of any creature can be a good thing.
Maybe nature is cruel, but we have a moral conscience that some other animals perhaps lack. We have managed to thwart nature in our spread around the planet.
We live in climates that would be impossible, had it not been for our superior minds.
We are capable, too, of using those same minds to create a better world for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 11:10 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
again, if you would read the article and the quote by world renowned paleoanthropologist Richard Leaky along with the preponderance of evidence, the correct conclusion is that people are "behavioral omnivores". the simple fact with humans is that they taught themselves to eat everything. humans have a digestive system consistent with herbivores. human beings are not natural meat eaters.

If humans were not meant to eat meat, then meat shouldn't be so tasty!

There are essential minerals and vitamins that can not be replaced in a vegan diet w/o artificial supplements; or a HUGE PITA to find the perfect food to balance everything out to get all your daily essentials. Not to mention not all places can grow all the foods needed to try and attempt a natural vegan diet w/o ANY animal products.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:24 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
there is nothing to give up. you think it is ok to slaughter other living feeling beings for your own gain and i do not.
So you feel it's wrong for humans to take advantage that we are tp of the food chain and kill animals for our own gain correct?

You must then not drive a car, live in permanent housing, eat ANYTHING you do not personally grow, or wear ANYTHING but your own cotton woven clothing.

Any food that is harvested will kill millions of animals in any of the stages of growing or harvest, any synthetic materials are oil based and kill millions of animals and humans alike, cars are deadly to the environment and destroy the wildlife and their habitat, and housing is former wildlife and cleared for humans, thus destroying animals in the process.

Hell, even your PC caused the deaths of animals.

SO either give up your current lifestyle totally, or you are a hypocrite.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:45 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,942,355 times
I don't see anything wrong with having a fur coat.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:14 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I don't see anything wrong with having a fur coat.
Maybe, but again, if some aliens came here who were much smarter than us and decided to skin us for clothing you might change your opinion a bit.

You would say that even though they are superior to us it is unfair that they kill us for our skins when they had other products that served perfectly well.

You see, it is a moral issue.
It's about values.

Just because we can do something does not mean that we should.

Clergy certainly could molest children and ruin all those lives, but because they were in a position of power and had the opportunity does not mean that they should have.
The same can be said of us.

We have the power and opportunity to do much destruction, but perhaps we can find better ways to meet our needs.

Other animals kill for need, to prevent their own deaths. We have substitutes for much of the killing that we do.

There is a reason why farmers do not allow their children to bond with the animals they raise. Because in bonding we learn to understand and respect other creatures. If we did this we would be less prone to killing them.

Notice some of the hatred and 'disconnect' from what we might consider 'normal' human emotions by some of the posters here who are taking the opposite view from myself. In order to kill wantonly the way humans often do you have to distance yourself from some positive human attributes such as compassion.

It's all about choice.
Your choices define to the world who you are.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:19 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Maybe, but again, if some aliens came here who were much smarter than us and decided to skin us for clothing you might change your opinion a bit.

You would say that even though they are superior to us it is unfair that they kill us for our skins when they had other products that served perfectly well.

You see, it is a moral issue.
It's about values.

Just because we can do something does not mean that we should.

Clergy certainly could molest children and ruin all those lives, but because they were in a position of power and had the opportunity does not mean that they should have.
The same can be said of us.

We have the power and opportunity to do much destruction, but perhaps we can find better ways to meet our needs.

Other animals kill for need, to prevent their own deaths. We have substitutes for much of the killing that we do.

There is a reason why farmers do not allow their children to bond with the animals they raise. Because in bonding we learn to understand and respect other creatures. If we did this we would be less prone to killing them.

Notice some of the hatred and 'disconnect' from what we might consider 'normal' human emotions by some of the posters here who are taking the opposite view from myself. In order to kill wantonly the way humans often do you have to distance yourself from some positive human attributes such as compassion.

It's all about choice.
Your choices define to the world who you are.
i think some people forget that we are a "higher" species. i think the issue being overlooked is empathy. some of us can have empathy for lesser/ lower life forms and some cannot or will not.

i would never wear a fur coat because i empathize with the suffering involved to make it. i guess everyone has their own moral code that they follow.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,801 times
After reading alot of replys to this post, I just have to say that I am amazed at how many perfect little angels hang around the internet, but how little you will find such perfect people in person. Could it be you guys wishing death on pro fur people ( I own plenty fur myself) and claiming to eat only humanely made food, non- sweatshop clothes, etc etc, are just lying and hiding from reality behind your computer screen? Just get of your ( fake ) pedastal! I read some idiot talking about killing animals is sick and cruel but was pro-choice! Just think to yourself, if someone offered you a 15k fur coat for free, would you really just throw it away? Please, if you are really are all about rainbows and unicorn farts, can you show it by respecting peoples opinions?!? I'm done with my rant. Anyways, I love fur! It is so warm! I'm here in Vermont for a litttle, and my fox fur lined hoodie and sheepskin workboots( work uggs) keep me warmer than anything else I have.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:20 PM

265 posts, read 534,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Maybe you're just not going to the same events.
Agreed. I see both sides but there is no denying fur is beautiful. You can't tell me the below coats are not classy and glamorous!!
Attached Thumbnails
They Need The Fur-kgrhqv-k0fcletyyg-bq4nwpqmgw-60_57-1-.jpg   They Need The Fur-692493-vanessa_williams_sophisticated_style_.jpg   They Need The Fur-2412290872_6884be82c0_z.jpg  

Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,426,806 times
I own a fur hat and sheepskin uggs and I love them !

"How do you know if there's a vegetarian in the room? They will always bloody tell you" true story that, don't see us omnivores feeling the need to announce it to anyone who will listen do you ?

Old 08-23-2013, 05:46 PM

747 posts, read 1,681,539 times
to me fur coats are tacky and outdated...who even wears those any more any way? I've never owned one and never desired one not because i'm all for PETA but just simply because they are just god awful ugly, plus I have no need for one...I live in the south. Even if I lived in the cold i'm sure there are lots of nice coats I can buy that don't look trashy and tacky that will do the job as good as if not better then fur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty