Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 05:14 PM

273 posts, read 682,436 times

Advertisements

Anyone else find it so hard to lose weight once you get near your forties - i hate it i hate the way i look i exercise don't eat that much but still have a hard time losing weight - is it just harder to lose once you get older anyone else have this problem and what do you do?

Old 01-01-2010, 06:35 PM

22,241 posts, read 47,165,320 times
It IS harder, so you work harder at it!

Wait 'til you hit 50!

Old 01-01-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It IS harder, so you work harder at it!

Wait 'til you hit 50!

Can i ask what exercise or diets you follow i am just trying to get some advice and ideas thank you.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:11 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,215,397 times
I find some success with increasing my vegetables and calorie counting. I don't do well unless I do those two things with increasing exercise.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:13 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,834,341 times
I have gallstones and lost 20 pounds now in just over a month. No, I don't promote it as a diet.

I'm 39 and when I was actively working on my weight, the biggest things I did was change what I ate. More good fats-less bad, more complex carbs-less white flour and sugar, good lean protein.

The biggest thing was to make up my plate with 1/2 veggies, 1/4 complex carbs, and 1/4 protein.

Change some foods out for Basmati rice, steel cut oats or at least the long cooking oats, stone ground whole wheat breads or small low fat, low carb wraps. Heck make wraps out of lettuce and fill them with good fats and lean meat. Ditch mayo for honey mustard.

Start something new and fun for exercise. Walking, bellydancing, dancing in your living room, yoga, pilates, whatever you enjoy. I like the eliptical.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:13 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,831,899 times
I definitely find it harder to lose weight now that I'm in my 40's. It didn't help that I had a child just after turning 40, either. With my first two the pregnancy weight fell off easily in a matter of weeks, but I have never been able to lose it all after that third child. I work out hard too, several days a week, with a lot of cardio and weight training. I agree with misplaced1, your diet is important in weight loss. I have lost a few pounds with a diet change, I just need to be more vigilant. I'd be happy with just losing another 5 lbs.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:35 AM

I guess i have to give up my chocolate addiction lol

Old 01-02-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I have gallstones and lost 20 pounds now in just over a month. No, I don't promote it as a diet.

I'm 39 and when I was actively working on my weight, the biggest things I did was change what I ate. More good fats-less bad, more complex carbs-less white flour and sugar, good lean protein.

The biggest thing was to make up my plate with 1/2 veggies, 1/4 complex carbs, and 1/4 protein.

Change some foods out for Basmati rice, steel cut oats or at least the long cooking oats, stone ground whole wheat breads or small low fat, low carb wraps. Heck make wraps out of lettuce and fill them with good fats and lean meat. Ditch mayo for honey mustard.

Start something new and fun for exercise. Walking, bellydancing, dancing in your living room, yoga, pilates, whatever you enjoy. I like the eliptical.
I do walk alot, in the winter i have a mini trampoline i jog on and some weights but i need to work longer i think to be more effective. i also i have watch what i eat at restaurants.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:10 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,165,779 times
You can't out train a bad diet. Also your body gets used to whatever activity you do and burns less calories doing it eventually. You probably need to put on some muscle and then think about body fat. Generic advice: start a lifting program and eat 1500-1800 calories on a balanced diet. If you need a guide google: spark people diet. Its a free set up and logging program. Gives you exercise and food help too. Tons of articles.

Walking barely burns anything calorie wise. If you can afford it, I suggest getting a stationary bike with resistance for it's calorie burning power.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,553,931 times
I am surprised about the walking comment Pitt, I had no idea about that.Been doing it for years and am in pretty good shape for an old broad I really thought it was more beneficial. I do live in a hilly area so that helps too. However, I do add some cardo/lite wts during my week as well. Educating oneself on proper nutrition/healthy eating is a must. I found the healthy food I really enjoy and keep it around. I imbibe in some sinful things on occasion. Moderation is a key to desserts/cocktails etc Now that the Holidays are over, I threw out the remains of those lovely desserts/cookies/fudge I made and gave away the two boxes of candy I recieved as hostess gifts. I surrender to the fact that if cheesecake and I have a stare down, it always wins so I just dont keep the temptations around. I buy/make sweets for the family that I dont care for but they like. And always have go to food ready in the fridge so I dont get tempted. Marinated raw veggies,fruit,pitcher of lemon water,etc.

Last edited by nanannie; 01-02-2010 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.