Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:15 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The only people that have problems with skinny models are fat people.
I think it's a stretch to say that. It depends on how "skinny" a model is. When her knees are wider than her thighs, I have a problem with it. Not because I want to be that skinny, either. There is such a thing as too skinny. It's unhealthy, and encourages otherwise healthy young women to be equally skinny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 10:33 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
Quote:
The only people that have problems with skinny models are fat people.

It's not so much the skinny models as it is the anorexic models. Sure anything will look good on someone who is a size 0, but not all women are the same size and shape. Once you start getting into the size 4 and up, some women actually have breast or bigger thighs. What looks good on a bean pole does not look good on someone with curves.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

and as long as people think keep thinking of "regular sized" women as "plus sized" you will have the obsession with being on the opposite end of that spectrum.

I have alway thought that regular sized women are anywhere from a 6 to a 12. After the size twelve it's borderline depending on height, muscle mass, etc. 16 and up is "plus size" to me.
Being a woman at the height of 5'4 (I'm not telling my weight now, because I need to lose some) I have some muscle to me and I looked good at a weight of 150. When I was at 125 everyone thought I was on drugs. BUT, according to "standards" I would be obese at that height and weight.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:11 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I have alway thought that regular sized women are anywhere from a 6 to a 12. After the size twelve it's borderline depending on height, muscle mass, etc. 16 and up is "plus size" to me.
Being a woman at the height of 5'4 (I'm not telling my weight now, because I need to lose some) I have some muscle to me and I looked good at a weight of 150. When I was at 125 everyone thought I was on drugs. BUT, according to "standards" I would be obese at that height and weight.
ok...but I'm a size 0...are you saying I'm not a regular-sized woman? Are you saying that anyone smaller than that is too thin? It depends on the individual woman. I am 5'1", so a size 0 on me isn't close to being anorexic. I am in the normal weight bracket for my height...but a 0 on someone taller would look different. It's all relative to height and how/where you carry your weight.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:13 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I think it's a stretch to say that. It depends on how "skinny" a model is. When her knees are wider than her thighs, I have a problem with it. Not because I want to be that skinny, either. There is such a thing as too skinny. It's unhealthy, and encourages otherwise healthy young women to be equally skinny.
I see your point...but being too fat is just as bad as being too skinny. So I don't think promoting plus-size models is great either b/c that can maybe tell people it's ok to be fat. Being overweight is just as unhealthy as being underweight.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:50 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
I see your point...but being too fat is just as bad as being too skinny. So I don't think promoting plus-size models is great either b/c that can maybe tell people it's ok to be fat. Being overweight is just as unhealthy as being underweight.
Yes, I said pretty much the same thing in my first post on this thread.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
ok...but I'm a size 0...are you saying I'm not a regular-sized woman? Are you saying that anyone smaller than that is too thin? It depends on the individual woman. I am 5'1", so a size 0 on me isn't close to being anorexic. I am in the normal weight bracket for my height...but a 0 on someone taller would look different. It's all relative to height and how/where you carry your weight.

I'm sorry if I offened you. I guess it's okay to call people fat, but not skinny.
The women in the article are a little overweight. I do not think it is right to compare them to Dakota Fanning (size 0) because she is not even a women yet. I could be wrong, but I think she is around 15?
You may look fabulous, I don't know and I don't care. As long as you are comfortable with yourself it shouldn't matter what other people think.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:46 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,492 times
Great, so now we are going from promoting women being underweight to promoting woman being overweight? WTF Why not promote a healthy size?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 PM

144 posts, read 597,497 times
Quote:

My problem is with the idea that a " plus" sized model = fat. In fashion mags "plus size" starts at a 12, there are plenty of women that are a size 12 and are NOT FAT, maybe if the person is short a 12 means they are carying extra fat, but many women who fit into a size 12, that I have seen don't even have fat rolls. I was once a size 12 but I am very athletic and I was firm with no fat rolls, no jiggle anywhere except my breast.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
It's not really going to be a big deal until they have models like that in magazines without having to call the issue "The Big Issue" or whatever. If someone just threw them in with out saying anything about it, and THEN people noticed. And I don't really get what the fuss is about models weight anyway, they are advertising clothing usually. They're not there to be role models for little girls, and they are not there to represent anything that is "right" or "wrong". Fashion is political but it is supposed to look attractive. They don't care if the model with the clothes on is or is not. People think they do, but I can tell you from working with these people, they really don't whatsoever. And usually, the people who complain about the models weights, can't afford or do not buy the clothes they are advertising. So it does not matter anyway. It would be bad business to change for something way out of your demographic. They aren't selling clothes to fat people... obviously.
I'm not saying that anorexic models are attractive, I am saying that they aren't going to make them plus-sized with high-fashion clothing. People who buy high-fashion clothing just aren't plus sized. Sorry. And most models are advertising high-fashion clothing, and this is the fashion forum.
That's it exactly... the cold hard truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty