Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 04:41 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

I've been using regular bar soap to wash my face. I know. My bad.
Now, my jawline and upper neck is itchy. Probably due to dryness.
What is your favorite facial cleanser? I know Cetaphil is supposed to be good but I find it irritating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 04:44 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
What is your skin type? Is it generally dry, or dry because you're using the wrong products? You might need to be using products for sensitive skin if you're having reactions.

Old 07-06-2022, 05:05 PM

I think they call it combo skin? Dry cheeks but oily t-zone.
This is the first time experiencing this. Usually, my skin isn't all that sensitive.
I used to use facial cleanser but in the past 4 years have used regular bar soap with no problems.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:04 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
CeraVe is a good line, and often recommended by derms as a reliable drugstore product. Also well regarded is La Roche-Posay.

I would also recommend getting a moisturizer as well.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:51 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times
That's odd. Cetaphil is usually recommended by dermatologists because of how gentle and non-irritating it should be. If even that irritates your skin, maybe you should talk with a dermatologist. If you don't want to go to one and would rather experiment, I like anything by Neutrogena. They make a Naturals facial cleanser with willow bark, which is a gentler version of salicylic acid so it could be good for your combo skin. Or you can try Dove Beauty Bar. It's supposed to be more moisturizing than regular soap and is fine for the face.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:21 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I think they call it combo skin? Dry cheeks but oily t-zone.
This is the first time experiencing this. Usually, my skin isn't all that sensitive.
I used to use facial cleanser but in the past 4 years have used regular bar soap with no problems.
Do you prefer the form factor of a bar of soap, or have you been using it just because it is handy?

If you actually prefer bars to lotion cleansers, you have numerous options, but keep in mind that most bar soaps tend to be more drying than liquid cleansers, from what I have read.

https://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-bar-soap.html

https://www.byrdie.com/best-bar-soaps-4690801

CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Bar 4.5 oz, approx. $5.49
CeraVe Foaming Cleanser Bar, .4.5 oz., approx. $7.99

Old 07-08-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Do you prefer the form factor of a bar of soap, or have you been using it just because it is handy?
I've been using it just because it's handy. And since I didn't feel any ill effects until now, I thought it would do. Thanks for the recs. I think I'll go back to buying a cleanser. Just not Cetaphil.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:27 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Cetaphil is not good for my sensitive skin either. There is some thing that annoys my skin. Who knows, but I have used CeraVe for years with no problems. I use the hydrating cleanser. It doesn’t foam up, although they’re making one that does, but the basic hydrating cleanser cleans really well. I wear a small amount of make up, concealer, blush and eyeshadow and I wear mascara. It takes it off with no problem.

I also use the CeraVe PM moisturizer. And it does a pretty good job of moisturizing my face. As I’ve gotten older I’ve gotten a little dryer and I’ve had to add a serum, and retinaldehyde.

I stopped using sunscreen years ago because I would sweat and it would run into my eyes and make my eyes burn. I’m not really a sun person.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:53 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
CeraVe is a good line, and often recommended by derms as a reliable drugstore product. Also well regarded is La Roche-Posay.

I would also recommend getting a moisturizer as well.
I used to get ezcema quite often and dermo and/docs used to recommend Basis soap. I don’t know if it’s still around. Last I heard rumors that the company changed the formula.

I’ve been using Dove stuff mostly now and no probs except in winter where it’s (sometimes) harder to squeeze contents out of the container.

Old 07-12-2022, 01:36 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I use Kylie Jenner foam wash. I really like it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty