Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 07:14 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,770 times

Advertisements

So from a combination of being raised by rather middle class (okay, white trash) family and being born/raised in laid back SoCal I know next to nothing about suits. I've tried looking around the web, but haven't found any good information for someone as naive as me. So, how does one go about getting a mens suit (not too expensive) that fits well etc?

PS. I've never worn one in my life, but may need to in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 07:53 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,348,871 times
Men's Fashion, Men's Clothing, Gear, GQ and Details on men.style.com

Brooks Brothers <----Depending on the time of year, you can get a great suit here for a little money.

Modern Apparel, Handbags, Shoes, and Accessories | Banana Republic <---- Good for the budget

J.Crew - Cashmere, Sweaters, Women's Clothing & Wedding Dresses, Children's Clothing, Men's Clothing & More

Nordstrom: Designer Collections and Top Apparel, Shoe and Beauty Brands <----- Hugo Boss suits are great

Old 09-16-2008, 05:38 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,867,890 times
I love suits. Though I've only got a couple left in my closet. Follow the links up there, and look elsewhere, too. The last one I bought was a Calvin Klein from Macy's, on sale for about $300 (reg $500). But Younkers was having a sale last week on suit separates (meaning you buy the pants and jacket separate) and you could get a decent Kenneth Cole or similar for about $150 or $175. I bought two pairs of the pants on sale for $50 each. These two places always have sales, and you can get good items for the money. And check that GQ qebsite for their "10 best suits under $500" article. They actually picked a Merona suit from Target 2 years in a row.

But the most important part of a suit is the way it fits. You need to get yourself measured by someone who's worth their salt and get your correct jacket size. Most importantly - if the shoulders don't fit off the bat, there's little hope for the jacket to fit you. And you should have that suit tailored to fit you exactly - it should fit like a glove. The jacket shoulders and sides should be snug, and have the sleeves show a bit of your shirt cuff for some style. The pants shouldn't be baggy and should not have too much "break" (how much fabric is pillowing around your shoes). A cheap suit that fits right looks 10X better than an expensive one that doesn't. Tailoring is the most important part and budget $100 for it. Also the style lately is to go beltless, so see if the tailor can get the waist nice and snug.

What is this suit for? Business or interviewing I assume?

Old 09-16-2008, 06:05 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Important point is how you are built. If you have say a 40 chest and 30 waist you'll need to have the pants "recut" if you buy an off-the-rack suit in the US. One way around this is to buy separates, or even just a "sport coat" and some slacks.

Most European makers offer 3 or more "models" and the most "athletic" model will fit me, OK, off the shelf. My favorite is Voronin, from Kiev, Ukraine. I don't know if they have any stores in the US, probably not. But I got a suit that fit OK off the shelf, which I cannot do in the States, and got what looks like a $400 suit for about $250 including tailoring.

I don't know if they are in LA or not, but Men's Wearhouse generally has a decent deal. Britches of Georgetown is also good, my fraternity big brother worked there back right after college and I picked up some good buys, but they all had to be recut. Brooks Brothers is an old standby as well. Any of these will have staff who can help you get what you want, the fit you want.

There are a few good books out there on "The Gentleman's Wardrobe" worth a look at the library if you don't want to buy them.

Do post back about what you want to use the suit for, at least initially.

Really I would think if you knock around LA a little you can find many good options.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:57 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,867,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Important point is how you are built. If you have say a 40 chest and 30 waist you'll need to have the pants "recut" if you buy an off-the-rack suit in the US. One way around this is to buy separates, or even just a "sport coat" and some slacks.

Most European makers offer 3 or more "models" and the most "athletic" model will fit me, OK, off the shelf. My favorite is Voronin, from Kiev, Ukraine. I don't know if they have any stores in the US, probably not. But I got a suit that fit OK off the shelf, which I cannot do in the States, and got what looks like a $400 suit for about $250 including tailoring.
How or where do you buy something like that? Internet, or where you actually there? I have alot of trouble finding suits that fit me since I am short and lean; I can imagine that European suits are going to give me more options.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:15 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
I have traveled to Kiev several times for work, then several more times to visit my (now) wife Irena.

Actually if you want to organize yourself a shopping trip to Kiev, if you buy a couple of suits, some "ruchnik" embroidered towels, some unique Christmas gifts, if you go in the fall or winter, if you stay in an apartment rather than hotel, you can save enough money on all this loot to pay for (I guess) about half the ticket. I Googled "Voronin Mens Suit" and got the below link?

Kiev is a lot more open to you if you have good Russian language skills, but this is not necessary.

Just off the top of my head, probably you can find a similar deal in Spain.

Italian suits will fit guys like us but they tend to be spendy.

One other option might be the "Hong Kong Suit" outfits in most bigger cities, that will make you a bespoke suit for a relatively good price.

Will new EU ties revive Ukraine textiles? (hktdc.com)

Old 01-25-2010, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,748 times
Default Men's Sport Coats

Hello,
guys

If you would like to get prominent Layered/Cotton/Italian[/url=http://www.customsuitsshirts.com/Mens-Custom-Sportcoats-orderby0-p-1-c-35.html] Men's Sport Coats[/url] with long lasting material, You can get easily.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty