Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 10:47 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times

Advertisements

My wife bought 2 pairs of genuine UGG boots in the UGG store in Queen Street, Brisbane, Australia, just across Victoria Bridge from Southbank, around 9 or 10 years back, she’s unsure, but she vaguely recalls they were around £100 per pair, which at today’s exchange rate would be about US $131 per pair.
I also bought a pair for my granddaughter, who was around 4 or 5 then, she was like a dog with two tails, wanted to wear them all day long, and go to bed in them, she was royally p***ed when she grew too big for them.
About 3 years ago, my wife bought a pair for her niece, in a Mall near Naples FL., she thinks they were about $200, £260 at today’s rate.
Although she’ll occasionally look in an outlet store, she still lives in the past a bit, she used to say, “I could have married a lawyer, but I married a licenced London taxi driver so that I’d never need to look in a thrift store!”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 01:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Too funny! I still have, and wear, the Bearpaws I posted about in this thread, and they have held up perfectly. I bought them in 2008 or 2009 and don't look worn, despite regular wearing in season.
I had a pair of Uggs bought used, and wore them all winter for some five more years. When the leather tore, it was time to replace them and I found Bearpaw. I couldn't afford Uggs. But I wear my Bearpaw boots all winter. They start out shiny and new and become comfortable looking after the first month or so. But I can't stand to get my feet cold, and when its really cold mid winter I use the foot warmers you shake and then put in your boots to fight off the bare wood floor.

I've gotten two years wear, looking nice, but get at least one. I keep the new pair for going out somewhere, while sticking with the slightly stretched Bearpaw from the year before with fluffy socks. They get me through the cold weather, and going outside where they might get wet. And when they get stretched a bit too much, and the stitching starts to fail, they're yard boots. So I get a good five years at least out of each.

What I'd love to find is a winter boot like the Uggs and Bearpaw with a good warm lining, but which go all the way up to the knees. There's this gap of a few inches where cold air can get in just below the knees which could be a few inches higher. Last pair they sent a knitted extention to wear at the top of the boots which works nice.

My bearpaws are winter boots, slippers, snow boots, yard boots, cleaning up boots, just sitting around warm boots, and I get at least five years wear of some sort, except for one pair which had a cut and they were replaced.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:24 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think sometimes the quality of name brands is much better than knockoffs and that makes it worth the price. Like leather sandals - I buy Chacos. They are comfortable, they fit right, I get 2 or 3 years' wear out of them, and they are real leather. They are $90-$100 a pair, but worth it.

For kids, I love Stride Rite. I know a lot of people are okay with buying kids' shoes at Target, Walmart or whatever, but with my own experience buying shoes for myself that don't fit right and hurt my feet, I don't want to take any chances with grandkids, especially when they are learning to walk and not able to verbalize that their shoes hurt their feet. I love the soft leather shoes they have for babies/toddlers.

I have been known to buy Uggs for a baby/toddler too.

I don't care about labels/brands, but I do care about quality and I know which brands are good quality.

If you know you like Uggs, it might be worth it to spend the money on them than on two or three pair of off brands trying to find something you like.
It's good to see that Stride Rite are keeping up their standards. As a kid, I had foot problems and I went thought school up to teenagehood in their shoes. They were one of the few brands with real high arches and other foot supports I needed. When I went into my teens, about 13 for sure, I argued enough I got more variety but then fashion was more important than comfort. When I got past stupid then I went back to the old stuff.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:15 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,439 times
I have 3 pairs of UGGS. Most I paid was $100 for a pair, and like $50- $60 for the other two. Brand new from Nordstrom Rack. They are very comfortable , warm, and durable. Well worth the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty