Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:16 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,690,775 times

Advertisements

My answer for anything chapped is Bag Balm. It works for everything, including scrapes, small cuts, chapped lips or hands, rough elbows, everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 12:50 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times
How would you compare it to blistex that comes out of the squeezie tube?

Did you know that cracking lips can be a sign of a lot of different things? Like needing to drink more water, anemia (did it for me) or lipstick allergy (also did it for me) etc.

I exfoliate my lips when I brush my teeth. It really helps too. Lips cracks are terrible. Don't you just hate it when you get that side crack or bottom lip crack...and then you think its gone...until you open your mouth and feel it tear right back open. GRAH!

Old 01-31-2010, 07:21 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,627,457 times
Honestly - in my opinion Blistex sucks. Really most lip balm brands suck. They add ingredients that make it worse like menthol and camphor and crap like that. They create a need to use more lip balm instead of healing the lips. The only drugstore balm I can recall that isn't guilty of this is Burt's Bees Honey lip balm (not the normal one or the lifeguard one). If it feels cool or tingly it is worsening the chapping instead of improving it. If you just need moisture use Aquaphor or plain Vaseline at night, it's cheap as can be and works well but it won't remove flakes. I am also very sensitive to the cheap chemical sunscreen and have to avoid most drug store lip products with an SPF.

Yes, I know that cracking lips can be a sign of many things, but as I explained in my case it is due to a medication side effect. I have always been a big drinker of water, it doesn't help. I can not use a brush on my lips, as I explained that hurts and it doesn't actually remove the flakes. I can do a better job biting them off but that's gross and could lead to infection.

But since I started using this All About Lips twice a day my lips are just perfect. No cracking, no peeling, and I don't need to use any balm, I can have them bare if I like. I can wear lipgloss and it spreads evenly across my lips instead of collecting in the flakes. Amazing stuff.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:54 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,250,778 times
Thanks for all the helpful posts!

Old 12-13-2010, 08:44 PM

19,695 posts, read 20,218,442 times
Anything new on the market?!!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:57 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,465,890 times
I have dry lips also and there is one spot on my lower lip that is constantly super dry with a huge "flake" that I can peel off (ick!). Anyway, nothing worked for me before and I've tried everything including ChapStik and Burts Bees. The best things I've found have been: Carmex STICK (not the potted ointment or the gel ointment), Cetaphil lotion or Jergens Ultra Healing lotion. I usually put on the lotion after I get out of the shower and carry the Carmex stick with me to apply throughout the day as needed.

I'm going to look into the Clinique All About Lips, though. Their stuff is good for my skin type and I didn't even know they had "all about lips".

Old 12-19-2010, 07:51 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,036 times
I just use the lipstick on it .

Old 12-20-2010, 01:34 AM

5,901 posts, read 3,789,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I have lived with chronic chapped lips for much of my life thanks to a medication side effect. They are always peeling and sometimes cracked and bleeding, even in the depths of our humid summer. I can't wear any lip color because it builds up in the flakes and calls attention to them. I have tried all sorts of products to deal with this and most products actually make them worse. The ones that don't make it worse can add moisture but don't do anything to stop the peeling. Scrubs make my lips burn but don't stop the peeling either.

I finally found something that actually works. Clinique's "All About Lips." I am sitting here right now with my lips BARE and they are perfectly smooth and comfortable. This product normalized them within three uses. I am completely amazed. This is the first time I have been able to go without applying balm and not have my lips crack immediately. It ain't cheap but it's worth every penny in my book. It is a chemical exfoliant (not a lip balm) and since it is safe for lips I can also use it at my lipline where the lip balm clogs my pores but normal exfoliants burn. Love this stuff.
Hey I'm glad I found this thread!! I have a friend who has chronic lip problems and never goes anywhere without her chapstick and I think I'll get some of that Clinique stuff for her for Christmas!! Thanks!

Old 12-20-2010, 11:40 AM

19,695 posts, read 20,218,442 times
Yeah I may have to look into that Clinique stuff as well...

Been using Burt's Bees chapstick which only provides very temporary relief...

Also been trying coconut oil, olive oil, and aloe at home which is not doing much either...

Damn cold weather!

Old 12-21-2010, 12:23 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,980,819 times
Anybody try Neosporan for lips? I was thinking of trying that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty