Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:27 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,797 times

Advertisements

What kind of shoes would you wear with this dress? It will probably be 20 degrees outside when I wear it. It's totally impractical, and nothing like the more tasteful and classic things I usually wear, but for some reason I had to have this dress.
Shadow Stripe Fit and Flare Dress - Women's Clothing and Apparel - Chic Dresses, Fashion Tops, Shoes, Bottoms, Denim and Accessories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 02:54 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
See the shoes they suggest? You need something similar, strappy sandals.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:49 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Little Ballet Pumps would look lovely with the dress, as it has a slight 50s look. Add a nice Pashmina Stole with it, maybe some little sexy gloves and I think it would look quite pretty and feminine.

Ballet flats by London Sole

Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
What kind of shoes would you wear with this dress? It will probably be 20 degrees outside when I wear it. It's totally impractical, and nothing like the more tasteful and classic things I usually wear, but for some reason I had to have this dress.
Shadow Stripe Fit and Flare Dress - Women's Clothing and Apparel - Chic Dresses, Fashion Tops, Shoes, Bottoms, Denim and Accessories

If your style is funky enough to pull it off....

A look I saw over and over again in the Anthropologie catalogs this winter was to pair a short dress with opaque tights in a slightly "off" color (navy, sage, charcoal) and then add heeled peep-toed-oxfords, or lady-like t-strap pumps. Sometimes even very short booties.

To balance the dark on the bottom, they were topped with either a cropped shrug or a longer belted cardigan (to keep that 50's waist).

I thought it looked like a fun way to "winterize" a party dress.

If you choose the shop-by-catalog option on their website and flip through the Nov and Dec issues, you'll get the idea.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:23 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,565,838 times
Ahhhh, Grasshopper...you will do what we women have done for centuries: You will wear the lovely dress, the strappy heels, the light wrap and freeze your fanny off for beauty! Sad but oh! so true!!!

Old 01-28-2010, 04:40 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Ahhhh, Grasshopper...you will do what we women have done for centuries: You will wear the lovely dress, the strappy heels, the light wrap and freeze your fanny off for beauty! Sad but oh! so true!!!
LOL. Awesome post.

I have a heels-too-high, ground-too-icy story:

We came out of a concert, a slick snow had fallen, and so my dashing SO scooped me up and carried me to the car. People actually clapped.
Long Live Chivalry.

To the OP: it also looks kinda cute when you have to borrow his suit jacket to keep warm.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:21 PM

I love all the suggestions! I had a pair of silver stappy heels I thought I could wear (the same "feel" as the suggested ones - which weren't on the site when I ordered it). I love the idea of flats or the tights with the shoes (similar to Anthropologie).

Unfortunately, the dress came today, and my torso must be longer than I thought, because the dress is soooo short! I could probably be arrested for indecency if I wore it Good thing shipping was only $5! I have to return it, because while I will show off my legs, I'm not really looking to show the tush unless I'm wearing a bathing suit

I'll have to find another fun dress for Valentine's Day, but will be looking for something fun, but a tad bit longer, and will keep the shoe recommendations in mind.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
LOL. Awesome post.

I have a heels-too-high, ground-too-icy story:

We came out of a concert, a slick snow had fallen, and so my dashing SO scooped me up and carried me to the car. People actually clapped.
Long Live Chivalry.

To the OP: it also looks kinda cute when you have to borrow his suit jacket to keep warm.

How sweet! I might have to whisper this idea in DH's ear while he's sleeping so he thinks he thought of it himself

Yeah, the men's jacket is a classic

Old 01-28-2010, 09:08 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
I love all the suggestions! I had a pair of silver stappy heels I thought I could wear (the same "feel" as the suggested ones - which weren't on the site when I ordered it). I love the idea of flats or the tights with the shoes (similar to Anthropologie).

Unfortunately, the dress came today, and my torso must be longer than I thought, because the dress is soooo short! I could probably be arrested for indecency if I wore it Good thing shipping was only $5! I have to return it, because while I will show off my legs, I'm not really looking to show the tush unless I'm wearing a bathing suit

I'll have to find another fun dress for Valentine's Day, but will be looking for something fun, but a tad bit longer, and will keep the shoe recommendations in mind.
If you find a similar dress, I think a choker type neckace would be very pretty with it, maybe pearls. Be sure to show us what you wind up with!

Old 01-31-2010, 01:17 PM

441 posts, read 2,108,807 times
That dress is adoreable... sexy yet sweet at the same time. I say wear a strappy silver or clear shoe with open toes. Hair up or half up with a short necklace and chandalier earrings. A night to remember!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty