Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:11 AM

4 posts, read 12,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Fashion always recycles....but it always has it's own signature in it's own decade. Maybe it'll be Garbo Ghetto.
yes, it will come back always, no matter when and how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 12:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanflorida View Post
I hope those styles come back...they were beautiful/ Problem now is "women" aren't as slim, in general....fabrics aren't the same. When was the last time you could pronounce the name of the material your clothes were made of. In the 40-50's it was cotton, silk and wool....now it is recycled bottle caps/ poly------ whatever. It is sad.

Even if you go to Sak's and buy a designer wool suit...bet the buttons will poop in a year!
I saw bring back the past glamour!
All very good points.
Even if you make a point of buying natural fabrics, the quality might be sketchy.
I am glad that I have a few vintage things--I just wish I had more.

Fashion does recycle itself.
For the past few years, I have been observing the babydoll blouses and bell bottom blue jeans of my own youth on today's kids.

This article seems to think the 40's are returning. I have a little black dress a lot like the one pictured, but mine is a bit longer hem.
1940's Return to Fashion

I do like some of the microfiber fabrics, but *well made* clothes from cotton, silk and wool are something to cherish.

Even if the styles come back, I still wonder about the workmanship.
I guess some people get around that by making their own, but that's not an option for me.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:21 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I think so. But 'hats' have been out of style for a long time. I'm talking about the 'dressy hats' that women wore with dresses and suits (Jackie Kennedy, Audrey Hepburn).

Don't know who else remembers this but some 40's styles did make a comeback in the 80's for awhile. They were the peek-a-boo pumps, the polka-dot dresses, and the wavy hairdos pinned up at the sides.

I don't care if the poodle skirts with bobby-sox NEVER come back!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:08 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,635 times
I love the 1950's styles better. Especially those dresses. Any woman, of any figure, can wear them (and don't show much of the legs either). I love those. Doesn't have to have a poodle on it, but just the flowingness of it is nice.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Don't know who else remembers this but some 40's styles did make a comeback in the 80's for awhile. They were the peek-a-boo pumps, the polka-dot dresses, and the wavy hairdos pinned up at the sides.
I do remember that. I even had some pantyhose with lines up the back of my legs. And plenty of shoulderpads. But wearing a hat rarely worked for me, i just couldn't quite carry it off.
Quote:
I don't care if the poodle skirts with bobby-sox NEVER come back!
Agree.
I don't much like the full skirted look. I don't care for anything too tight, but a flouncy bouffant skirt is too much the the opposite.
A slim sheath is preferable, but jeans are what I usually wear so I probably don't even belong in this thread.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:00 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Anyway do you think womens fashions which is called the New Look will return? I believe the fashion sense then appeared to have more emphasis on glamour than on any other fashion period in the 20th century. What do you think?

Oh, I hope so!!!!

And it wasn't just limited to your picture as you know, but what a shot!

I'm so tired of seeing rags on people. And I leave empty handed from Macy's and even Nordstroms often.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:26 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I even had some pantyhose with lines up the back of my legs.

A slim sheath is preferable, but jeans are what I usually wear so I probably don't even belong in this thread.
My mother wore pantyhose with lines even when they were no longer in fashion. I thought they looked sexy.

As for jeans, someone told me that the cuffed look in jeans was coming back. Cuff 'em, tie a scarf around your neck, and you've got the look. I thought it looked cool, too. Don't remember what they wore for shoes with them ~ probably loafers.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:38 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
http://pk.b5z.net/i/u/6040209/i/b7350_ezr.jpg (broken link)

found this site that sells vintage patterns,

since I can't find clothing from the 30s/40s/50s...but can find patters....

is it possible to find a dressmaker? To make these?

Or is this just a silly idea?

Boy! I just wish Macys would just have a section of 'classic' wardrobe - surely there is a market for it.

oh, btw...momspatterns.com is where I found the pattern....I wish I could sew!

I think I watch those old movies like That Touch of Mink, Pillow Talk...gosh, any Doris Day movie for that matter....How to Marry a Millionaire....just for the costumes.....they knew how to dress!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 AM

921 posts, read 1,132,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Anyway do you think womens fashions which is called the New Look will return? I believe the fashion sense then appeared to have more emphasis on glamour than on any other fashion period in the 20th century. What do you think?
I think the fashions of the late 40's thru 50's are already creeping back into the industry, especially with the shoes.

It looks like the thick platform shoes for women are already in some stores for this year's spring fashion.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
since I can't find clothing from the 30s/40s/50s...but can find patters....

is it possible to find a dressmaker? To make these?
Definitely!
Maybe you could even just barter with a good friend who sews.
I would want to get the best possible fabric for the pattern, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty