U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 11:59 AM

270 posts, read 444,303 times

Advertisements

I know you aren't doctors, but does anyone know of anything that would work on the face? I have some acne and scars from previous breakouts. I also might have a wrinkle or two. I hope not, though, because I'm only in my 20s. Anyway, something, preferably not a harsh chemical product, that will kill acne while tightening the skin might be a good idea. I think I do occasionally have dark circles when I don't get enough sleep. I've tried a few products, but I also seem to have trouble remembering to use the ones that require daily use. Benzoyl peroxide has also never completely cleared my skin, although it has perhaps reduced breakouts. Is there maybe just something I could eat or some spice I could start cooking with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:06 PM

553 posts, read 1,405,790 times
You probably want a prescription, such as Retin A or Differin. There's also a newer one called EpiDuo.

You could also try MD Forte's Facial Cleanser 1. It has 12 percent glycolic acid. You should see results within 4 months. After your skin is used to it, you can go to level 2, which has 15 percent glycolic acid. Level 3 has 30 percent, but that's pretty high.

Make sure you use plenty of SPF!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 PM

252 posts, read 602,100 times
what HAVE you tried so far? Benzoyl peroxide never did a thing for me, but there's no point in mentioning products that you've already tried. I had issues with acne until my early 20's and have to use certain products to keep my better complexion so I might be able to advise a few gems if you haven't tried them yet.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:38 AM

270 posts, read 444,303 times
I don't know if I could name them all. I've tried mostly over-the-counter products, but I haven't tried ProActive, yet. I'm not sure if it would work either, though. I would also really prefer something I wouldn't have to apply everyday. I've found that I'm not very consistent with those kinds of things.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:01 PM

23,098 posts, read 25,014,239 times
Quote:
I've found that I'm not very consistent with those kinds of things
If you want good results from any skin care regimen, you're going to have to get over this. Consistent skin care is what's going to clear up your skin.

Some of the best things to do for good skin are to make sure you're drinking enough water and getting enough sleep.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-19-2010 at 04:11 PM..

Old 02-19-2010, 10:54 PM

3,917 posts, read 7,047,529 times
Good nutrition helps, too. I take oil of oregano capsules and they have really helped clear my skin.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:57 AM

873 posts, read 2,009,171 times
The only thing that completely cleared my skin was BCP however I use DHC products since they don't irritate. The oil cleanser is wonderful.

also if you haven't already post this on the makeupalley boards and check the product reviews

Old 02-20-2010, 12:01 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,898,388 times
Don't use benzoyl peroxide if you are concerned about accelerated age.

Smart Skin Care: Acne and skin aging

Those wrinkles could just be dry dead skin. I stopped using benzoyl peroxide as my main "go to" product after a roomate/pro make-up artist told me to stop long ago. That dry skin also makes your dark circles stand out much more. Plus the dry skin can make your face look far more baggy/loose than it really is. Think ~ deflated ballon...just like that.

Internally you should just try to eat healthy and balanced. Take a multi-vitamin too. I am going to give a new hair/skin multi a test run as soon as I get it. But even with a healthy diet I have clearer skin with a regular daily multiple vitamin.

The acne scars will take time to fade but protecting them from the sun and exfoliation will help. Sun exposure makes them last. Sunscreens sometimes break me out so I will just dab it on any healed up pink spot and rub it in. I do my face makeup with brushes so it does not really get smudged off.

Have you check out Juice Beauty products?
Juice Beauty - The Organic Skin Care Solution

This product really works:
Organic Blemish Clearing Serum for Natural Skin Care from Juice Beauty (http://www.juicebeauty.com/za/JB?PAGE=PRODUCT&CAT=MAIN.TREATMT_EXFOL_PEELS&PRODU CT.ID=36 - broken link)

Plain aloe gel on your face at night before bed helps kill breakouts. Its much cheaper but it wil get you by in a pinch. Topical vitamin C serum is also a good antiage item/ scar fader:
Avalon Organics, Vitamin C Vitality Facial Serum, 1 fl oz (30 ml) - iHerb.com

That is cheaper than the juice beauty one. You may be able to just get away with the vitamin c and the correct face lotion/cleanser. But hands down, if you ever get acne all over and are prone to sensitive dry issues, that linked juice beauty is fantastic at clearing without drying your skin out like crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty