Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:23 PM

768 posts, read 942,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
What you look like clothing and all is a reflection of who you are, like it or not. Shoot the message not the messenger. I always yap at you sweatpants lovers. Does it mean you are an evil piece of crap because you wear sweatpants..no..GET REAL. It means you are being lazy or don't care to make efforts for looks in activity xyz. Are you a lazy person all the time? Maybe...Are you feeling ill that day? Maybe...are you looking to make a good impression. Probably not.

And that is why people judge.

"New money" looks can be just as unflattering as sweatpants and speaks volumes about the person as well.

As for the chick with the see through shirt...Thats kinda s*****. S**** are not really known for being mean to your face. They are attention ***** people pleasers. So of course they are going to be charming.
Maybe they aren't putting effort into looks because they've actually read a book or two, and done the psychological work it takes to get past the 101 superficiality of the low-lying fruit.

You seem like a very angry person, pitt. I mean it. Re-evaluate some things. Maybe get some sweatpants. They are very comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 07:03 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
I'm pretty oblivious and I don't care at all about fashion. I think if you are neat and clean when you go out then that is good enough. I am who I am and I like who I am. I live in jeans and tees. It works for me. And if someone else judges me because of the way I dress...well then it's their loss

Trimac- Maybe you should find a new group of friends.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:40 PM

10 posts, read 43,422 times
It IS human nature. We all do it, even if we don't admit it.
Example: A short, stout lady, wearing baggy pants, a plain shirt, ugly tennis shoes, an old, ugly coat, and no makeup. I'm walking up to you. I smile at you. You notice my teeth are decayed and falling out. Do you *really* want to be my friend?

It's harsh, but it really is human nature.

By the way, I truly think a tee and jeans can totally fit into fashion. Just dress it up and add a pair of earrings!

Old 11-14-2011, 12:55 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
People judge you by what you are wearing because your appearance is all they have to go on until (or if) they get to know you.

It is also a matter of survival. The ability to judge a threat to personal safety is very important.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:05 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with the types of places you hang out. I've noticed that a lot of people who hang out at swanky ultralounges tend to be more judgmental than those who frequent sports bars (which I prefer). At least that's what I've observed.
This past weekend I walked into a sports bar after a modeling gig, so my hair was styled and my makeup was heavy, but not strange or artistic or anything. I was in nice jeans and a nice trench coat and I got plenty of weird, not so friendly stares.

The casual are just as judgemental as the swanky.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:31 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
i remember in high school everything had to match and it had to be in style. Now ill wear any color combination, i have one pair of shoes, i still have clothes from 15 years ago that i still wear regularly, and i will wear clothes based upon comfort and weather (regardless of what sex they are geared for) not what the rest of the crowd is wearing.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:28 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
Really?

I'm wearing my hoodie right now because I just got in from taking the trash out. I think the way I feel about myself relative to my hoodie is "cold."

But maybe it's deeper. Maybe I'm subconsciously trying to express who I am as a man by my selection in winter apparel.

Love it,

When I wear a hoodie up, (as I too, am cold)

I get judged as a terrorist. hey, I can't help the way I look............

Old 11-15-2011, 09:36 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times
Hey, hoodies rock!

Old 11-15-2011, 11:11 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Hey, hoodies rock!

they do. all the boys here in brooklyn wear them, and wear the hoods up also.

if you want to know about boys fashion, just take a ride down 4th ave and see the ghetto boys, they know how to work it !!

Old 11-15-2011, 11:41 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,464 times
Yes, it is annoying. They think I am cool and as a shy person it is too much to handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty