Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times

Advertisements

I want to make my own Halloween costume and found one I like for $149, I want to copy. I bought the fabric but need help. Do you think the hood is a separate piece from the cape? Would I just tack on the hood? I was just going to layer the Tulle and wrap it around but I can't figure out the hood section.
Here are pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone sew that can help?-detailfamily.jpg   Anyone sew that can help?-detailfamilytmp.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 08:20 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Hmmm, if I were trying to replicate that, I'd cut a very large circle from the fabric, and then fold it in half since it looks like the hood is actually a couple of layers sort of bunched up. So now you'd have a doubled-over half circle shape. The flat edge is going to be the part that goes around your face, and you will need to gather the rounded edge up to fit the neck hole of the garment. Then pin it in place, and sew it directly into the neckline.

You may have to experiment with some scrap fabric to figure out what size circle you want to start with.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:44 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Take the pics to a fabric store with older women. (not teens or apathetic workers)

They can totally help you out. I think it looks like a two piece item. I think it would be much easier to do two pieces than one.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:47 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Hmmm, if I were trying to replicate that, I'd cut a very large circle from the fabric, and then fold it in half since it looks like the hood is actually a couple of layers sort of bunched up. So now you'd have a doubled-over half circle shape. The flat edge is going to be the part that goes around your face, and you will need to gather the rounded edge up to fit the neck hole of the garment. Then pin it in place, and sew it directly into the neckline.

You may have to experiment with some scrap fabric to figure out what size circle you want to start with.
Good info., thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Take the pics to a fabric store with older women. (not teens or apathetic workers)

They can totally help you out. I think it looks like a two piece item. I think it would be much easier to do two pieces than one.
There are no fabric store near me. I had to buy the fabric at Walmart and the people there couldn't help much.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:11 AM

466 posts, read 581,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I would do it the way Mercury Cougar suggested. As a rule of thumb I think I would measure from the top of head to base of neck & double it, anything less I think would pull when you pull the hood up. The finished hood will look lovely.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:58 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I've made doll capes that looked almost exactly like that. Because they were on a much smaller scale, the garment was a single piece, with a casing folded and sewn at the neck. It would definitely be better to use a separate piece for the hood on your cape. Also find a way to attach the long part of the cape to the rest of the costume at your shoulders, so it's not dragging against your neck when you wear it.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:10 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Well, this is an old thread, but that is a very cool costume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty