Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 AM

105 posts, read 234,809 times

Advertisements

I want to have children one day... but there is something that always brings me to back to wanting to be a 50 year old childless world traveler and that is getting horrible--> Stretch Marks!!! I remember when I was younger watching my mother take her shirt off, and looking in horror at her bubbled up scarred stomach!! She only had two children and was a very thin woman most of her life, she was (5'6 like 110lbs).. My mother's stomach looked like she had 11 children back to back .. forget road map! like crumpled up newspaper!! I heard that how your body deals with stretch marks is heredity.. if it is .. I'm looking to adopt. Does anyone out here know if stretch marks are really preventable..? and I'm not talking about cocoa butter, please... otherwise I could forget going to the beach.. by the way I'm 26 and according to some people my clock is ticking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Just wait until you realize what lactating did to your breasts.

Are you sure you even want kids?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:16 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
It's all hereditary, but just because your mother had them doesn't mean that you will. My hunch is that if a woman is as fit at possible before the pregnancy, with well toned abdominals to support the pregnancy better, she has done all she can to prevent stretchmarks.
It's definitely true that childless women keep their figures better, but only you can decide what your priorities are.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:36 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
There are lots of reasons for not wanting to have kids, but I've never heard of an abnormal fear of stretch marks being one of them.

I guess you have to decide what's more important to you over the next 60 years -- raising a happy family, or having "perfect" skin.

Cocoa butter and vitamin E oil work wonders, btw. Don't dismiss them.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:40 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Just wait until you realize what lactating did to your breasts.

Are you sure you even want kids?
LOL, funny girl!

I didn't get stretch marks and my DD is preggy right now and she uses cocoa butter every night, that is hubbys job. I have them on my thighs from adolescence, growing too fast I guess. There are a lot more important things to worry about. A tummy tuck after might help.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
I have three children, and never got a single stretch mark. Not all women get them. And I'm petite, and had large babies at 38 weeks (the last was 9.13 lbs), PLUS I had excess amniotic fluid. In other words, I was HUGE. Only towards the end of my pregnancies did I put any kind of creams on my stomach, and only because my skin started to hurt from the stretching. I just used plain old moisturizing lotion.

The sagging tummy though, well, no amount of ab work seems to help with that in my case. No
"bubbling" like the OP mentioned, but it's no longer firm. But I don't care how bad my tummy sags, and even if I was covered with stretch marks, they would all be worth it for my beautiful children.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNix732 View Post
I want to have children one day... but there is something that always brings me to back to wanting to be a 50 year old childless world traveler and that is getting horrible--> Stretch Marks!!! I remember when I was younger watching my mother take her shirt off, and looking in horror at her bubbled up scarred stomach!! She only had two children and was a very thin woman most of her life, she was (5'6 like 110lbs).. My mother's stomach looked like she had 11 children back to back .. forget road map! like crumpled up newspaper!! I heard that how your body deals with stretch marks is heredity.. if it is .. I'm looking to adopt. Does anyone out here know if stretch marks are really preventable..? and I'm not talking about cocoa butter, please... otherwise I could forget going to the beach.. by the way I'm 26 and according to some people my clock is ticking
The genetics in my family predispose both genders to developing stretch marks. Sometimes there is simply not enough collagen in the body. My mother, daughter, son, and I all developed at least some on our hips, knees, and/or lower backs during childhood growth spurts. It's life.

I find it extremely upsetting to hear you describe your mother's body the way you have, filled with so much revulsion.

I used to feel that way about my own body after my first child was born, for I too developed a roadmap (London, possibly? ). I hated myself.

It took decades to come to terms with the fact that I was not perfect. In America, the urge to become 'perfect' is obsessive and sick, IMO.

If you're that hung up on appearances, it may be best to adopt.

For the record, I earned every single mark...they're my badge of honor, and I wear it proudly. Many mothers feel the same way.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:41 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
The sagging tummy though, well, no amount of ab work seems to help with that in my case. No
"bubbling" like the OP mentioned, but it's no longer firm. But I don't care how bad my tummy sags, and even if I was covered with stretch marks, they would all be worth it for my beautiful children.
Same here. I have already been told the only way my saggy tummy will look good again is if I have a tummy tuck. However my abs are awesome from working out. Hopefully if I keep at it for another 6 months- a year I hope to be able to see them again.

OP- Dont let the idea of strech marks keep you from being a mother if its what you really want. If I let my fears keep me from doing things, I wouldnt have done a single thing with my life. Its all about taking chances and living life to your fullest.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:12 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,518 times
Lady, I'm trying for my first baby and I'm feeling a little scared about the overall changes to my body. Not like I'm super hot or anything, but I'm comfortable with the way I look and feel in my clothes. Naked is another story and I haven't worn a bikini since I was 16. I stick to tankinis and one piece suits that I think are classier and always have and I grew up on the beach. I'm not sure how heriditary stretch marks are. My mom is so opposite of me in every way. I'm built more like my dad with my dad's skin texture. My mom has horrible stretch marks. My theory is that I will use a natural, organic olive oil soap during pregnancy; alternate rubbing cocoa butter and olive oil on my tummy each day; and try to minimize weight gain to the most conservative amount. I don't believe that being pregnant means eating for two. I will also look into binding my stomach after healing from the delivery. It is something used by African women as well as other cultures and I think it helps the body bounce back quicker. All I want is to feel comfortable in my jeans.

And these people who like to tell others about their biological clocks are just ridiculous. We've thrown all privacy out the window. I'm 35 trying for baby number 1 so don't worry about it.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:20 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I have three children, and never got a single stretch mark. Not all women get them. And I'm petite, and had large babies at 38 weeks (the last was 9.13 lbs), PLUS I had excess amniotic fluid. In other words, I was HUGE. Only towards the end of my pregnancies did I put any kind of creams on my stomach, and only because my skin started to hurt from the stretching. I just used plain old moisturizing lotion.

Wonderful post! That's exactly what it should be about - not vanity, IMO. (I would have repped you, but I couldn't )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty