U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2010, 05:43 PM
 
Location: earth
27 posts, read 116,823 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

My boyfriend has many good qualities and is a cute guy, but I would like him to have a little fashion sometimes when we go out other than the usual tshirt and jeans. Am I wrong for thinking this?

He have spoken this and I'm not expecting a over-the-top expensive tastes, just a little effort I would like when we go out. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2010, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,292 posts, read 13,056,492 times
Reputation: 6639
Date a new guy. This one doesn't want to put up with your insecurities when he's happy with himself.

Or maybe if you ask him, he will.

Is it worth it to you to find out?

Do you want to risk losing a cute guy with a lot of good qualities over a shirt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 05:51 PM
 
5,019 posts, read 12,889,609 times
Reputation: 6988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayurveda.Skin View Post
My boyfriend has many good qualities and is a cute guy, but I would like him to have a little fashion sometimes when we go out other than the usual tshirt and jeans. Am I wrong for thinking this?

He have spoken this and I'm not expecting a over-the-top expensive tastes, just a little effort I would like when we go out. Any suggestions?
1. How long have you been dating?

2. What does he do for a living?

Need those answers before I can give any meaningful advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,292 posts, read 13,056,492 times
Reputation: 6639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayurveda.Skin View Post
Well, he and I would have to come to some kind of compromise...like having him in the kitchen more washing dishes or something that you only prefer as well. They are not always the most comfortable to wear, so maybe he should try wearing them first for some time.

But, speaking with him about how you feel about this before completely giving him the boot.
Come on. Really? Are you serious?

Please tell me that you can see the parallels in these two situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2010, 01:44 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 42,012,815 times
Reputation: 10968
I don't understand the hangup on "fashionable" clothing...and see nothing wrong with jeans and a T-shirt. Perhaps the occasional polo shirt in a color he likes. Regardless of how he dresses at work, his manner of dress in his casual time may simply reflect what he's comfortable with wearing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2010, 04:34 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,020 posts, read 26,044,508 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayurveda.Skin View Post
My boyfriend has many good qualities and is a cute guy, but I would like him to have a little fashion sometimes when we go out other than the usual tshirt and jeans. Am I wrong for thinking this?

He have spoken this and I'm not expecting a over-the-top expensive tastes, just a little effort I would like when we go out. Any suggestions?
You sure you aren't asking for too much?

For example, the polos I fish out of certain brands are easily 150 dollars each. But of course, there are 50$ polos off AE or Hollister that are mediocre and wear out in 2 months time. It's all a matter of personal preference and how much a man can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2010, 11:21 PM
 
Location: earth
27 posts, read 116,823 times
Reputation: 31
I don't know, am I asking too much? I noticed that some men like their women to sometimes wear something other than sweat pants and pjs everyday. And some they like their woman to sometimes fix their hair a little, wear a little natural makeup, a dress or skirt from time to time outside of the house (as inside doesn't matter much), or do most men not prefer this? I could be wrong. I personally fell that is a little important for both people to do these things for themselves and for each other once in a while. We have been dating for about 5-6 months, our jobs are both computer-related. Nothing expensive, as I try to be a careful money spender personally speaking. But a question for those who are familiar with the fashion-beauty advice area. I mean like sometimes adding a simple button down shirt or a pair of khaki or some other type of pants when we go out sometimes. Not walk around wearing suits all day, that is too much. I wear a dress for him or style my hair the way he likes it sometimes because I know he finds it flattering, this is what I'm trying to explain but not for everyday.


@TKramar - yes like a polo shirt sometime, something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,020 posts, read 26,044,508 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayurveda.Skin View Post
I don't know, am I asking too much? I noticed that some men like their women to sometimes wear something other than sweat pants and pjs everyday. And some they like their woman to sometimes fix their hair a little, wear a little natural makeup, a dress or skirt from time to time outside of the house (as inside doesn't matter much), or do most men not prefer this? I could be wrong. I personally fell that is a little important for both people to do these things for themselves and for each other once in a while. We have been dating for about 5-6 months, our jobs are both computer-related. Nothing expensive, as I try to be a careful money spender personally speaking. But a question for those who are familiar with the fashion-beauty advice area. I mean like sometimes adding a simple button down shirt or a pair of khaki or some other type of pants when we go out sometimes. Not walk around wearing suits all day, that is too much. I wear a dress for him or style my hair the way he likes it sometimes because I know he finds it flattering, this is what I'm trying to explain but not for everyday.


@TKramar - yes like a polo shirt sometime, something like that.
WoW, why am I not surprised.

Computer-related IT guys have the worst dress sense, ever. Partly becoz the job can be mentally damaging if the guy is a DBA I'm an ex-IT geek, but left the domain as early as 2006.

My peers roam around in shirts where you can smell sweat, no hair gel, no proper shirt, guys still come around in wrinkled checked shirts folded up the elbow. Some come in boots intended for forests and mountain climbing.

Sorry, you can try talking him out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2010, 07:14 AM
 
796 posts, read 1,644,882 times
Reputation: 374
It's a little different because you guys are dating, but my husband isn't the best dresser on earth either...so I took care of that problem by shopping for him. He gets free reign when he's hanging out at home, but when we go out, he pretty much doesn't have a choice but to wear what I got for him (because he's got nothing else to wear). He's in his mid-40's so anything from Hollister and Abercrombie is a no-go, but he does wear classics like Ralph Lauren and Lacoste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2010, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,020 posts, read 26,044,508 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
It's a little different because you guys are dating, but my husband isn't the best dresser on earth either...so I took care of that problem by shopping for him. He gets free reign when he's hanging out at home, but when we go out, he pretty much doesn't have a choice but to wear what I got for him (because he's got nothing else to wear). He's in his mid-40's so anything from Hollister and Abercrombie is a no-go, but he does wear classics like Ralph Lauren and Lacoste.
But they sell the best ones. Their fabric is just royal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top