Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2010, 08:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If you want to justify your poor behavior that way, go ahead.

Don't push your own faults onto other people though.

Saying 'everyone does it' isn't a good excuse.
Aren't you making a sweeping generalization by saying that my behavior is poor? You shouldn't generalize like that. After all, you wouldn't want to do what comes normally to people. Making judgements about someone you've never met, and don't know.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:10 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naelivia View Post
Tattoos don't seem to be something that can "go out of style"; they've been around for many millenniums.
Quoted for truth (and to try and steer the thread back toward the actual topic)

Old 05-01-2010, 09:33 AM

229 posts, read 879,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Interesting point.

I'm a little embarassed to ask this . It's really not a judgement. I don't mind tattoos and as an artist myself often find them fascinating. I really love it when someone has a great story behind his or her ink.

I totally agree with you. I have zero problem with those who have tats, hell I watch Brian Bolter every night doing the news on Washington's FOX 5 News at Ten and Bolter, its quite well known is heavly tattooed though you don't see them on WTTG-TV but I have seen his Facebook pics.

The only time I would look down at someone who has a tattoo would be the very young. Talking about those in the mid teens, not those 18 and over. For example our local newspaper about a year ago did a story on America's top high school football players. One photo featured a 16 year old young man from Colorado. This somewhat goes back to the thread about shaved heads-goatees that I had started earlier....the photo in the paper showed him sporting..

*entire arms covered with tattoos
*shaved head
*full beard
*shirtless and wearing nothing but a jock strap ( the other players wore shirts and pants )
*multple earrings in both ears plus if memory serves correct his nipple was pierced.
*smoking a cigar
*his "nickname" was Prince Albert...yes I know what that means

One of my best friends is a tattoo artist and even he questioned the 16 year old's parents and their logic for allowing someone so young to get so many tattoos, being allowed to be photographed in such a manner....and that prince albert.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:48 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
They are out of style, no one with any class would ever get one.

http://api.ning.com/files/aW7hn7Czbk..._/P3070573.jpg

Yeah, cause he has NO class right?

Hell, he's the tribal elder/shaman, and former Tribal chief. He IS class for his tribe.

Tattoo's are as old as time, it's not about class or whatever some simple minded people believe.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:56 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:

I'm just wondering why and how a person makiing say, 10 bucks an hour (in this economy) justifies the expense? Versus, say groceries or gasoline (or movies or video games ) ? How do you fit this into your budget?

And, yes, I am aware that many of you with body art are way way way above that level financially . But this question really isn't aimed at y'all. I'm more interesting in responses from folks who may have to give up something else ( a vacation or a new car for instance) in order to get some new work done.

Anyone?
Well, for us (hubby and I), we co-own our own business; so we make our own hours, we set our own prices, and we have low overhead for the business itself, so it's honestly mostly profit.

We also bought a home recently and our mortgage is stupid super cheap, our autos are paid off (have been for a few years now), and we have a lowered grocery bill, since we hunt quite a bit, not to mention grow a good majority of our own veggies.

I used to work in a tattoo shop and the majority of my ink (and his) was from there, but we do exchange work with a local artist currently (hubby is working on his back right now); to do work for his shop, in exchange for hubby's tat.

We don't do traditional vacations, but we do go camping and such, so that is much cheaper than a week in Orlando or NYC, etc...

Old 05-03-2010, 06:02 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Aren't you making a sweeping generalization by saying that my behavior is poor? You shouldn't generalize like that. After all, you wouldn't want to do what comes normally to people. Making judgements about someone you've never met, and don't know.
I am reacting to what you said. You made the original statement, not me.

You can't make an offensive statement and then turn it around on people to try to defend yourself.

Nice try slick, but you have poor behavior by being judgmental. I am pointing out something you said. See the difference?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:48 AM

But you're still "judging" me. I thought that you said it wasn't right to do that.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
But you're still "judging" me. I thought that you said it wasn't right to do that.
a Judgement is an opinion formed. Not fact. You based what you said on absolutely nothing, while I based what I said on what YOU said. Basing a statement on an external supposition as I have is not a judgment call, but rather an extrapolation of fact from a situation.

So again - don't be so judgmental.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
a Judgement is an opinion formed. Not fact. You based what you said on absolutely nothing, while I based what I said on what YOU said. Basing a statement on an external supposition as I have is not a judgment call, but rather an extrapolation of fact from a situation.

So again - don't be so judgmental.
I base all my opinions on past personal experiences. For example, I don't like drunks--or even people who drink--because I've had negative experiences with those sorts of people in the past.

Yes, I'm "judging". But everyone has a right to "judge" others to protect themselves from potential harm.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:55 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Interesting point.

Has this thread run it's course and may I hijack?

But, it always has intrigued me.... why are tattoos so often seen on the working and poorer classes?

I'm a little embarassed to ask this . It's really not a judgement. I don't mind tattoos and as an artist myself often find them fascinating. I really love it when someone has a great story behind his or her ink.

I'm just wondering why and how a person makiing say, 10 bucks an hour (in this economy) justifies the expense? Versus, say groceries or gasoline (or movies or video games ) ? How do you fit this into your budget?

And, yes, I am aware that many of you with body art are way way way above that level financially . But this question really isn't aimed at y'all. I'm more interesting in responses from folks who may have to give up something else ( a vacation or a new car for instance) in order to get some new work done.

Anyone?
I think a simple answer would be that anyone who has a couple hundred bucks (or less) could feasibly purchase a tattoo machine off of ebay. I know a lot of people who think that because they can sketch a few things on paper that they should become tattoo artists. They buy a tattoo machine (run far far away if they refer to it as a 'tattoo gun') and a few dollars worth of ink and start tattooing on their friends in exchange for some beer.

They tattoo out of their garage or living room, not following any type of sanitation techniques and usually have no idea what they're doing. You do have to set the machine to different settings depending on what type of work you're doing and many artists simply learn this by trial and error.

Also, I've exchanged services for tattoos in the past. I flew someone up to Sacramento once in exchange for some work on my back... I've also traded mechanical work for tattoo work as well. Bartering is alive and well in the tattoo community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty