Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 06:16 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
I agree! They are indeed trashy! If someone would do that to their body, in my opinion they have no respect for themselves.

They look absolutely awful!
All tattoos are trashy?

that is painting with a pretty broad brush. Isn't that like saying all paintings are ugly? Or anything red is bad?

Generalizations are never a good thing.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:52 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
IMO people (men or women) who have tattoo's & piercings are a little light in the brain department and should be avoided.

One of our son's got brain dead and got a small tattoo but I doubt that he will again. Most unacceptable............
One of our son's got brain dead?

And you're calling people with tattoos 'a little light in the brain department'?

I have degrees in Music composition, International Studies and a Bachelors in Aeronautical Engineering. I'm going back to school to get another degree in Aviation Maintenance.

I have a lot of tattoos. A LOT of tattoos.

I won't lose any sleep if people like you avoid people like me

Old 05-21-2010, 12:53 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
You know what they say...they only difference between tattooed and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care if you have one or not.
Love this!

Old 05-21-2010, 04:54 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Your opinion is noted.

How many people with tattoos do you know?
Way, way to many. It seems like getting a tattoo is the new smoking that everybody did when I was a kid in the 50's. Old people, young people (by far the most common) middle aged housewives and corporate executives it doesn't matter anymore.

I have to wonder what this trend is saying about our society today. There be a dumbing down of expectations due to the economic decline and the associated job loss.

All i know for sure is a lot of people with tattoo's today will regret them as their skin gets older. THAT ought be something to see! (shudder! )

Old 05-21-2010, 05:03 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
One of our son's got brain dead?

And you're calling people with tattoos 'a little light in the brain department'?

I have degrees in Music composition, International Studies and a Bachelors in Aeronautical Engineering. I'm going back to school to get another degree in Aviation Maintenance.

I have a lot of tattoos. A LOT of tattoos.

I won't lose any sleep if people like you avoid people like me
Yes, both his mother and myself expressed our family displeasure with #4 son getting his body vandalized since this type of behavior is unacceptable in our family.

As to your choice to vandalize your body well...that's your cross to bear not mine. And do I still think that there is something innately wrong with people that choose to get tattoo's? Yes, I'd like to think that modern educated humans don't need tribal markings to know who , and what, they are. Like I said..... light in the brain department.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:31 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,663 times
Wow - I'm surprised at the vehemence of opinions against tattoos.

For the record, I don't have any and would never get one. Never.

That said, I have seen some incredible tattoos whose genuine artistry was proof of the tattooer's extraordinary talent.

People with tattoos are represented across all socioeconomic classes.

I may not want one, but I am not going to pass judgement on or demean someone who chose otherwise.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:02 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yes, both his mother and myself expressed our family displeasure with #4 son getting his body vandalized since this type of behavior is unacceptable in our family.

As to your choice to vandalize your body well...that's your cross to bear not mine. And do I still think that there is something innately wrong with people that choose to get tattoo's? Yes, I'd like to think that modern educated humans don't need tribal markings to know who , and what, they are. Like I said..... light in the brain department.
I definitely don't consider it 'vandalizing' but to each his or her own.

We may not 'need' it, but we 'want' it. I like my tattoos and each and every one of them have some sort of meaning to me. I received them WHILE getting my college degrees and it's simply something that I like.

If it's unacceptable in your family, then great! Luckily, my parents understand that I'm an adult and that I am capable of making decisions on my own. There's nothing wrong with me, and I consider myself an intelligent person who has a different taste in art than you do. My hubby's Father is a well known wildlife artist and he LOVES my tattoos. He thinks they're a great artistic expression .

Old 05-21-2010, 09:34 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
Mostly, it seems people either love them or hate them with still a sizable number who don't care one way or another. Tattoos don't cause lung disease, as smoking does, but there are far more ex-smokers than there are ex-tattooed people running around. Tattoos are for life unless one can afford to have them removed. I am a 41 year ex-smoker and I'm damn happy that tattoos were not the "in" thing to do when I was young or I might have a faded blob of ink somewhere on my body.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 05-21-2010 at 09:53 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 10:02 PM

181 posts, read 323,828 times
I have tattoos, but each one means something to me:

One is something I used to draw a lot as a kid, and I got this to remind me to stay young.
Another is in memory of my mother.

I am getting a third on my back. It's a stencil of my son.

I work in a corporate environment. I don't use drugs, drink good beers now and then, and I would consider myself a family man. I like my tattoos, but they do not define me as a human being. My first tattoo I got 10 years ago, before it became a hipster thing, and I definitely do not get them for any sort of hipster factor. I don't even wear clothes that would allow me to fit into any type of group anyway.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:33 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Perception is reality. When your average person see's a woman with a "tramp stamp," what are they thinking? Hence the term tramp stamp.

As someone else pointed out, only sailors/marines, bikers, and CRIMINAL's had tattoo's. Then the whole tramp stamp fad came into play. The term "INK," comes from where? Not from LA, but from the PRISON SYSTEM. The term "SLEEVED," also came from the prison system. In fact, most terms related to tattoo's did/due come from the prison system. Walk into any prison in the country and 99.9% of the prisoners will have tattoo's.

Do you want to walk into some high end jewlery store and be waited on someone who has tattoo's all over their neck, arms, forehead, etc? No, you don't. Again, what is your perception of this person? Are there exceptions? Of course there are, however, they are minority. If it walks like duck...

Not too mention, yep, right now, tattoo removal is a HUGE business. Many women now, who are 35+, are getting their tattoo's removed; especially their tramp stamps. Why? Because they don't want their children to get tattoo's, because they look trashy. There is only ONE reason to have a tattoo on your lower back; what other possible reason could there be? You can't even see it.

Yes, we all can do what we want. I got that. Just remember, you get all tattoo'd up, people, in general, will treat you differently. It may not be covert, but overtly, most people will look upon you with disdain and disgust. Just like most people look upon people who are overweight, in the sameway. Its human nature and you will never be able to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty