Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 01:35 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yes.

What's interesting here is that people want things both ways---they want to display trashy and unconventional behavior (no doubt for the reason that it IS trashy and unconventional) but then they don't want that behavior considered trashy, they want it considered conventional and upright. But nobody gets a tatoo to be conventional and upright.

If you're gonna be trashy then at least have the gumption to stand up for it.

This is laughable, and this is such a typical rhetoric from the conservative crowd. Reading your bio, it says you are catholic ? So what makes you so high and mighty to stand in judgement of others ? Oh thats right you were not empowered to stand in judgement of us, it is an internal character flaw, and it makes you a hipocrite under your own religion.

My grandmother was born on a cherokee reservation. Being native american is my heritage, to show my pride for that heritage and culture I have black and grey portraits on both upper arms of the first cherokee chief and the cherokee nations greatest warrior. They can only be seen when I have no shirt on, so unless you are in my pool or you sneak into my shower, you will never see them. How do they affect you ? Why do you people care if we have ink ? And more importantly, why do you feel entitled to judge us, and as a few have labeled us future criminals...

I have never had a speeding ticket, I dont do drugs, I dont drink, I have never stolen anything, I have never had an issue with the law and I dont spend my free time judging people that are not like me. Hey, I guess that makes me a better person than most of you tat haters.

What a pathetic waste of time for you people, are your lives that shallow and empty that you have nothing better to do than pass judgement on people? You should all practice making yoursleves better people instead of worrying what everyone else is doing. But where would you find drama in that.....

Old 06-04-2010, 03:11 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
The most admired person in the world could have a tattoo, and it wouldn't change my opinion. No matter how great the artist, skin is a poor long term medium to display art. In the future, will color-faded, saggy, shapeless blobs on flesh still hold personal meaning to the owner? Color me doubtful.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:23 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Went to the grocery store yesterday and saw something interesting. There was an older many with white hair stocking shelves that had a tattoo on each forearm in the style of the past. The thing I noted about these tattoo's was that so much time had passed that the tattoo's were now blobs of blue colored skin with no design shapes to see left at all.

Then on the way out to the car I saw a young mom & dad with toddlers in tow going in. Both parents were sucking on cigarettes and were covered in tattoo's. The car they got out of was an old tired beater that looked to be ready to die in the parking lot. The toddlers were dirty and sickly looking. All in all a sorry lot to see.

Now the parents had money for tattoo's and cigarettes but not for better care for the kids or for their accommodations. The parents also looked like crap making both of them pretty much unemployable so it's a good guess they are welfare cases that the public pays for. The kids will more than likely follow in their parents mold as kids do to become tattooed welfare case's also. And so it goes............

Is this post judgemental ? No. If anything it is an observation of facts that pertain to tattoo's and those who have them.
Bad parents are bad parents. If I saw a Hispanic family today at WalMart with a couple of dirty, sickly looking toddlers, would that be just cause to think all Hispanic parents have crap parenting skills? Of course not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
The most admired person in the world could have a tattoo, and it wouldn't change my opinion. No matter how great the artist, skin is a poor long term medium to display art. In the future, will color-faded, saggy, shapeless blobs on flesh still hold personal meaning to the owner? Color me doubtful.
That's why people with forethought get tattoos without too much tiny detailing, put sunscreen over them every time they go outside, and get touchups.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:28 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Actually, the quality of ink AND the quality of artists has increased leaps and bounds over the old 'sailor quicky tattoo' days. I have a friend who got her first tattoo about 25 years ago and she STILL gets asked how old it is and nobody believes her.

If you go to a quality artist that uses high quality inks, and if you take care of your skin (no tanning, wear sunscreen, use lotions with no lanolin and no fragrance regularly) tattoos can last many, many years. You should also get fairly regular touch ups to keep the ink looking crisp, but that isn't absolutely necessary.

The problem is that people think tattoos are 'permanent' in the sense that they will never fade, which is untrue. You REALLY have to work at keeping them looking nice and most people just don't care enough to do it.

And when I get old I'll have wrinkly skin...luckily for me though, my 63 year old grandmother has beautiful skin with hardly any wrinkles, liver spots or freckles because she took care of her skin throughout her life. I hope I take after her in that respect. I'd rather have wrinkly tattoos than leathery, freckley skin from tanning my entire life.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Is this post judgemental ? No. If anything it is an observation of facts that pertain to tattoo's and those who have them.
It's really interesting, because I see and know a lot of educated, working professionals who have a tattoo somewhere, and am one, myself (and have a law-abiding lifestyle that is also devoid of a tobacco habit and welfare checks, as it turns out!).

So what you really must mean is that your post is an observation - one that may or may not be on target, at that - of a particular family you saw. Not one of "tattoos and those who have them." Because if it's not, then, yes, it is judgmental, given that the only really observable "facts" are that some people are responsible, educated, hardworking individuals, and some are irresponsible, uneducated derelicts, and people in either camp may have tattoos, or may not have any. But I think you know that.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:40 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
It is my opinion that the more educated one becomes, whether formally schooled or not, the more free your mind becomes.
This is so true, from what I've observed. Especially for women, I believe.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:37 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Just what every guy wants on his future wife....a "tramp stamp"

Old 06-05-2010, 05:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Just what every guy wants on his future wife....a "tramp stamp"

I'm heavily tattooed and don't have a 'tramp stamp'

Old 06-06-2010, 04:18 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm heavily tattooed and don't have a 'tramp stamp'
Thats your opinion of what a "tramp stamp" is. I don't care if its a silly design on your lower back or some fruitcake design elsewhere......it all falls under tramp stamp to me.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:35 PM

345 posts, read 1,642,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Thats your opinion of what a "tramp stamp" is. I don't care if its a silly design on your lower back or some fruitcake design elsewhere......it all falls under tramp stamp to me.
This, from someone who lives in "Joisee"

If you really want to throw around stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty