Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:39 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,515,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I don't think he was talking about sex and in more understandable terms for you it would probably be best if he used "prude" instead of puritanical. His post had nothing to do with sex. I think some of those makeup fumes are clouding your comprehension.

Thank you, ..you are correct "puritanical" was a poor choice of words. I wasn't referring to sex it's true. Having heard her (op's) opinion or ideas on sex I must opine. I'm not sure indulging in sex with several partners (rather than a singular spouse) could be safer than playing Russian Roulette. Possibly more detrimental to your health than smoking, drinking and drugs combined.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:48 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,947,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Jackie am like you in some ways. Never touched alcohol, drugs or smoke of any kind in my 52 years. I also used to spend a great deal of time taking care of my body by working out. I don't do that now since I am who I am and getting too old to have to impress anyone. I feel I can impress more now with my superior knowledge and personality.

You are probably young. You will not understand this now but when you get older you will see that owning all those nice things like expensive cars, big house, all the toys etc all mean jack sheet when you get buried 6' under. I learned this the hard way so I am not bragging. Not very long ago I had it all. A successful business that afforded me all the show off toys in life. The current economic depression has murdered me to the point where I downsized my life and lifestyle to less.....much less then the bare minimums to survive. Do I want that big house and big car again? Who gives a sheet.

And finally, all that nice stuff to make you look good means nothing if you don't go out and enjoy showing it off. I just get the impression you don't go out. We all need to get away from people and have some "ME" time. But not all the time. You might look attractive to a man but once you open your mouth they will snicker and run. Maybe you don't care about that. Many people hate others who have more then them or are smarter then them. It's human nature. So tread lightly in how you say things.
I'm not that young. I am actually turning 32 soon.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Jackie, since you have such a passion for cosmetics and things that make a woman beautiful, why didn't you become a makeup artist? You'd be helping people look even better and make money at it too.
I enjoy playing with makeup on myself but I'm not sure if I would enjoy putting it on others... I know my own face best... so it's easier for me to apply it on myself. Being a freelance makeup artist is extremely competitive where I live and doesn't pay well at all for most artists. A lot have to start out working for free TFCD (Time for CD or Time for Print).

Old 04-05-2010, 06:15 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,498,791 times
Jackie, not everyone finds makeup and fashion so absorbing and fascinating. I'd be bored to death doing nothing but shopping, accessorizing, waxing, plucking, Botoxing, etc. And no, I'm not into the party scene, either. I figure we all choose our form of entertainment or escape. Mine is books, more specifically, romances. I'd rather spend money on books than on alcohol, drugs, or cosmetics. But to each their own.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:55 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,686,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I don't know what other forum to post this in so I guess it goes here?

I'm in my early 30's and I have never done drugs my whole life. Not even pot. I don't see the point of taking drugs because it doesn't make you look better in any way (if anything it detracts from your looks over the long run) and it's not "visible" by others.

By this I mean, if I have lots of money, I would want to spend it on a Mercedes Benz or a designer handbag or an expensive house. At least this is beneficial to my image and makes me look good. However, doing drugs is not tangible, it doesn't enhance your status in any way and no one would know how much money you spent, whereas if you drive a Benz, EVERYONE will know what you spent.

I understand people do it to make them feel good but personally I like spending money on my looks (cosmetics (Nars, Mac, Chanel etc), treatments etc) and on VISIBLE goods (expensive cars, bags) etc because it makes me look good. I would never smoke pot because it doesn't improve my status and it doesn't do anything for my body; it certainly doesn't make me look fitter or make my skin glow.

That's why I never understood why people do drugs. For me personally, doing something is only worth it if it helps me look better in some way.

I get that some people have pain their lives, but personally I ease my own pain by shopping, pampering myself, taking care of myself and making sure I will look as young as I can as humanly possible.

Also, I'm super vain and I would never do anything to jeopardize my looks or dry out my skin or make my skin red such as drinking etc. I think I look at least 10 years younger because I never smoked, never drank and never ever party.
sounds like you need one of these to improve your image. now if it were me i would be having rum and cokes on the deck at sundown with a big spliff to boot.

but if you are ever able to afford such a yacht. remember when you are gunking up your face with cosmetics to get a phony look,>> that there are millions of starving people in the world that could use your help.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
sounds like you need one of these to improve your image. now if it were me i would be having rum and cokes on the deck at sundown with a big spliff to boot.

but if you are ever able to afford such a yacht. remember when you are gunking up your face with cosmetics to get a phony look,>> that there are millions of starving people in the world that could use your help.
What's your point? You could say the same thing for people who spend a lot of money drinking, partying and doing drugs? They probably spend thousands... couldn't THEIR money help "the poor and downtrodden" as well?

Old 04-05-2010, 07:34 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,380,420 times
Quote:
But don't you feel like crap the next day?

I'm not a partier and I never ever party or go to clubs or house parties etc. I'm not sociable and it's NOT my idea of fun.

For fun I'd rather stay home alone and play with my makeup stash!

Well, seriously, you do sound kind of boring. I also think alcohol is fun.
Do I drink myself drunk, no. But I like a couple of glasses of wine every now and then, or a few beers a hot summer day.
If I had to choose between never drink any wine for the rest of my life vs never wear any make up for the rest of my life, I would choose not to wear any makeup for the rest of my life.
Do I wear make up now? Yes, but I can easily go to work and school without makeup on. Maybe because I still look good without it.
And also, i feel bad for you that you have no friends. You should try to get some.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:29 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,686,113 times
Quote:
What's your point? You could say the same thing for people who spend a lot of money drinking, partying and doing drugs? They probably spend thousands... couldn't THEIR money help "the poor and downtrodden" as well?

well some people that have mega millions will go buy a 100 million dollar yacht just to make them selves look good, you know keep up with the jonses.. name one alcoholic that spent 100 million on booze. it's not posible to drink that much alcohol and live

remember bernie maddoff> greedyparasiticcockroach, well he had 4 mega yachts and seven mansions to make his image look good..

Old 04-05-2010, 09:06 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,358,427 times
Oh the irony!!! I do some of my best shopping when I'm drinking. A little champagne goes a long way!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:23 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,380,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Oh the irony!!! I do some of my best shopping when I'm drinking. A little champagne goes a long way!
working in retail I wish I could serve all my customers alcohol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty