Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:48 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,464,422 times

Advertisements

Ok here it goes...

My wife is a very beautiful woman. Growing up she was an athletic tomboy and had zero interest in clothes, fashion, make-up, etc. She has always gotten by on her natural beauty, but now she wants to be more "put together" in her appearence but does'nt know where to start. She loves the TLC show "What Not to Wear" and has even jokingly - barely jokingly - asked me to nominate her for the program.

I can't help her with this cause I barely know men's fashion, let alone women's. Since its highly unlikely she is going to get on a reality show, can anyone offer any advice on how she can develop some fashion sense and a sense of her own style? Anyway to "Buy some style" in an affordable manner? She also really struggles with the whole make-up & hair thing. Where can she get help with this? (Real help, not "buy my stuff" help)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 06:14 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,170 times
I think this woman is in Orange County:

Erin Stafford Style and Image Consulting

Old 03-31-2010, 06:20 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,497 times
Wait, is this my husband?... i totally sympathize with her. Have you tried to nominate her? you never know. my husband (for bday and xmas) shops for clothes for me by what the mannequins are wearing. just an idea.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,060 times
Take her to a department store that have personal shopping; they will outfit her in the latest clothing. Tell her not to think about it, because you will be paying the cost. Stop by the make-up counter and have them redo her make-up. Consult a hair dresser to fix her up. Sometimes, just seeing yourself done over, will be inspiring enough to make changes. As her husband, I'm surprised that she is not taking your cue to change. When I was married, I listened to every word he said. No reason to give your man a reason to cross the fence. Good luck!

Old 03-31-2010, 11:27 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,464,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
Take her to a department store that have personal shopping; they will outfit her in the latest clothing. Tell her not to think about it, because you will be paying the cost. Stop by the make-up counter and have them redo her make-up. Consult a hair dresser to fix her up. Sometimes, just seeing yourself done over, will be inspiring enough to make changes. As her husband, I'm surprised that she is not taking your cue to change. When I was married, I listened to every word he said. No reason to give your man a reason to cross the fence. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, but there's no chance I'd "cross the line" and I'm not giving her any "cues". She is the one who wants to get better at this.

When my wife worked she had a good business wardrobe and a would hang out in jeans for the weekend. But now she is a SAHM and needs more "dressy casual" for Mom stuff and needs to migrate away from her corporate look that she used to use for most of the dressy socail occasions. She just has know idea how to do it. Plus, she has been hanging around more "Newport Beach" types through our church MOPs group and is getting self concious around all the well put together women there.

I used to help her with the work clothes by keying off woman at my office, but now I am just clueless on how to help her.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:59 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
You can watch vids on youtube for make-up and hair. Get some "dress for your body type" books. For colors its really simple...pick the ones that don't make you look sick when you hold them up to the face.

Anne Taylor is really good about the whole line being able to mix and match. There are modest cuts with decent fabric weight. J.Crew is good for that too.

She could always go shopping after church with one of those ladies stating she is looking to revamp the closet. I would ask for a stylist referral for her hair from one of them too. Don't let her just go to some salon at random just in case it = bad cut.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:13 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,884,206 times
All women should have their own style. I think copying someone famous is the wrong thing to do. What may look to them may not look good on you too.

I'm simple and frivolous. I wear shorts, tank tops, open toed high heels, sandals, swimsuits, and skirts all summer long (you'll never, EVER see me in jeans in the summer). And I only wear jeans, long sleeve shirts, sweaters, jackets, boots, and slacks in the winter season. That's just my style.

She should develop her own style and if she's happy, then by all means, leave her alone. It's her style and she's happy and comfortable.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:00 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,794 times
I know Macy's has personal shoppers that will help to identify clothes based on her body type and size, etc. It may not be the cheapest route, but it may be a way to start. They should help give her the tips she needs to shop on her own from there.

I also know that she can make an appointment at MAC (makeup) and they will do full makeup on her with instruction as long as she spends $50 in makeup after. I did that for my wedding day and got lots of good tips and lots of good makeup to boot.

Hair is the tough one. Finding a really good stylist who has a vision for what her hair should look like can be challenging and pricey, but so worth it if you can find it.

I agree with letting her be, but it sounds like she is open to a change. I respect you for being supportive of her too.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
This is where her GIRLFRIENDS come into play! Let THEM take her shopping and give suggestions!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:48 AM

796 posts, read 1,842,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I know Macy's has personal shoppers that will help to identify clothes based on her body type and size, etc. It may not be the cheapest route, but it may be a way to start. They should help give her the tips she needs to shop on her own from there.

I also know that she can make an appointment at MAC (makeup) and they will do full makeup on her with instruction as long as she spends $50 in makeup after. I did that for my wedding day and got lots of good tips and lots of good makeup to boot.

Hair is the tough one. Finding a really good stylist who has a vision for what her hair should look like can be challenging and pricey, but so worth it if you can find it.

I agree with letting her be, but it sounds like she is open to a change. I respect you for being supportive of her too.
I work for MAC as a freelance makeup artist...most definitely get her to a counter and have the artist show her colors, textures, etc that work for her. Just make sure she is extremely specific on what she wants. I usually ask a customer if they have lots of time to do their makeup in the morning, if they work out of the house, SAHM, or go to school, need looks for evening, etc. The more information she can provide, the better the product recommendations. She can ask for foundation samples, unless a powder foundation is better for her (and from what you said about her, it probably will be...quick, easy and no fuss).

She sounds like someone who would be comfortable in more classic clothes...simple dresses, skirts with clean lines, nothing fussy. If she likes that style, look at lines such as Ralph Lauren for ideas...doesn't mean you have to buy those exact clothes. She also needs to make sure she's dressing for her body type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty