Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:48 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is it simply fashion, showing off, wanting to be daring/slutty, feeling liberated? It's funny I've heard both, seemingly contradictory answers. Someone even said on Yahoo answers that men shouldn't even be showing off their body and only women should .

When men show off it's usually the torso, it seems they're ostracized if they wear speedos etc. Women can 'get away' with wearing short shorts and skimpy tops while singlets on men look unusually casual. I thought guys liked to show off their 'gun's but isn't it weird how ladies usually show off more arm? lol.

In summer I see alot of bronzed female skin and I'm not complaining but I get turned on easily and it gets annoyingly distracting at times...yes it's 'my problem' but girls, give me a break sometime! lol
I think the main reason is that in Western culture, women's bodies are sexualized, and men's bodies aren't except for in the gay community. Haven't you ever noticed that if a man goes too far in the dressing skimpy direction (ex: wearing a Speedo) that other men (and also women) will accuse him of "looking gay?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 05:19 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,627 times
It's because women are taught to dress and act like whores

Seriously, look at the dolls that little girls play with nowadays. Bratz? Are you kidding me? Then they get a few years older and have people like Beyonce, Lady Gaga, etc to look up to, all of whom look like they walked from the corner to the recording studio, then back again.

A lot of women seem to think that whatever is in the media is awesome. It's popular not to think for yourself anymore and to buy into these ridiculous trends. I'm just waiting for it to become popular to walk around naked. I give it fifteen years.

I'm not sure why men seem to be more able to tune out from the bs blaring from TV and radio stations. That's an excellent question. Perhaps there should be a scientific study conducted and we can use the results to stop so many women from turning into mindless, slutty drones.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:44 AM

957 posts, read 1,133,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I think the main reason is that in Western culture, women's bodies are sexualized, and men's bodies aren't except for in the gay community. Haven't you ever noticed that if a man goes too far in the dressing skimpy direction (ex: wearing a Speedo) that other men (and also women) will accuse him of "looking gay?"
and indeed it is.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:09 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Is it simply fashion, showing off, wanting to be daring/slutty, feeling liberated? It's funny I've heard both, seemingly contradictory answers. Someone even said on Yahoo answers that men shouldn't even be showing off their body and only women should .

When men show off it's usually the torso, it seems they're ostracized if they wear speedos etc. Women can 'get away' with wearing short shorts and skimpy tops while singlets on men look unusually casual. I thought guys liked to show off their 'gun's but isn't it weird how ladies usually show off more arm? lol.

In summer I see alot of bronzed female skin and I'm not complaining but I get turned on easily and it gets annoyingly distracting at times...yes it's 'my problem' but girls, give me a break sometime! lol
This is a complex question. I think women clothes is designed to show off their curves, most women with no curves dress like men. Our close is more geometric. A lot of squares and rectangliar shapes. Like a our suits, polo shirts and even our ties and belts. Certain fabrics are stretchy and form fitting and are mostly used in women clothing to show off their curves. Thats my take on it.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:14 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Most women's fashion is designed by men, go figure...
Gay men or Str8 men? There is a difference.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:16 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
Have to agree that it's probably nothing more than the fact that, let's face it, men are visually stimulated, women know it, and simply use this in their arsenal to attract the male. Women....not so much stimulated visually. To me....the more covered up guy will get my attention....but HE will have to keep my interest in some other way! (In other words....there needs to be some intellect in there somewhere.) ;-)
I think it's more than that...cause the majority of women who dress 'naked'...aren't looking for a man right there on the spot...

most are with their own families walking around, or at rest areas, the zoo ect ect...and have no intention of going home with a 'man' or 'guy'....

I just think it's more of a 'self centered' trait taught by this society...

'See see...look at me'....

Old 06-28-2018, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 3,004 times
Actually women subconsciously are extremely possessive and they dislike other women from staring at their man and his 'package'. So even if a woman wears practically nothing and reveals so much that she leaves nothing to imagination, she will give all sorts of excuses to make sure he man stays covered up....maybe even from head to toe. Hence we find all these silly excuses like 'speedos are not fashionable', 'board shorts look better', and all these lame excuses. By the way, compare pictures of a man in board shorts and in Speedo briefs. The men in those ugly knee length beach shorts look more like comic book characters. Go on men: go flaunt your body. Believe me, ladies love seeing men in briefs. I'm a straight guy in my 50s and I've worn briefs confidently throughout and my wife's female friends have told her that I still look hot. I don't go gymming and I don't have abs....but confidence to carry what I wear is all its about.
My wife too wears her 2 piece and I love it.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:45 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
I know! Well, at least that's what they SAY. I find it weird some women think boardshorts are sexier on a man than speedos.

I think modern etiquette kind of sees the male body as grosser. Men are allowed to grow their underarm air, for instance, because they're generally hairier overall and thus 'grosser.' Leg hair for a girl is revolting enough to justify feelings of nausea , while men who shave - who don't have a good excuse - are gay or creepy. The point is, even women have been conditioned to feel a certain revulsion towards male bodies and a certain aesthetic preference for the female form, regardless of sexual preference/orientation.

I think Olympic swimmers look GREAT in speedos.

If you're built like an Olympic swimmer...you rock that speedo!

If you don't...well...wear what makes you happy. lol

Old 06-28-2018, 10:47 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Its about the male gaze.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:59 AM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I've noticed this a lot lately. People complain about men having hair on their legs, and stuff like that. It's sort of strange, IMO.

The feminist answer to this, of course, is that men are not valued for their bodies the way women are, and that it's more an issue of female bodies being exploited through overexposure. That fact that women choose to expose themselves more than men do sort of demolishes this argument.

In general, I think it's best to leave something to the imagination, whether you're talking about the male body or the female body.

In other words you just disproved your own dumb theory.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty