Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 02:06 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Is it simply fashion, showing off, wanting to be daring/slutty, feeling liberated? It's funny I've heard both, seemingly contradictory answers. Someone even said on Yahoo answers that men shouldn't even be showing off their body and only women should .

When men show off it's usually the torso, it seems they're ostracized if they wear speedos etc. Women can 'get away' with wearing short shorts and skimpy tops while singlets on men look unusually casual. I thought guys liked to show off their 'gun's but isn't it weird how ladies usually show off more arm? lol.

In summer I see alot of bronzed female skin and I'm not complaining but I get turned on easily and it gets annoyingly distracting at times...yes it's 'my problem' but girls, give me a break sometime! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 11:17 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
That's the whole point, Trimac. To attract men.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:15 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Like bears to honey

Old 04-12-2010, 03:23 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,793 times
And for some unknown reason, women generally do not like to see too much of a man's body.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:53 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
And for some unknown reason, women generally do not like to see too much of a man's body.
I know! Well, at least that's what they SAY. I find it weird some women think boardshorts are sexier on a man than speedos.

I think modern etiquette kind of sees the male body as grosser. Men are allowed to grow their underarm air, for instance, because they're generally hairier overall and thus 'grosser.' Leg hair for a girl is revolting enough to justify feelings of nausea , while men who shave - who don't have a good excuse - are gay or creepy. The point is, even women have been conditioned to feel a certain revulsion towards male bodies and a certain aesthetic preference for the female form, regardless of sexual preference/orientation.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:58 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
I old.....and old-fashioned......but to me for a man to be covered up when out in public shows respect for women. At the beach, it's expected that people will be in swimming attire and when playing a sport such as basketball or volleyball, less coverage is appropriate, but when out in public, a man just looks better when he's decently covered.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:26 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I know! Well, at least that's what they SAY. I find it weird some women think boardshorts are sexier on a man than speedos.

I think modern etiquette kind of sees the male body as grosser. Men are allowed to grow their underarm air, for instance, because they're generally hairier overall and thus 'grosser.' Leg hair for a girl is revolting enough to justify feelings of nausea , while men who shave - who don't have a good excuse - are gay or creepy. The point is, even women have been conditioned to feel a certain revulsion towards male bodies and a certain aesthetic preference for the female form, regardless of sexual preference/orientation.
I've noticed this a lot lately. People complain about men having hair on their legs, and stuff like that. It's sort of strange, IMO.

The feminist answer to this, of course, is that men are not valued for their bodies the way women are, and that it's more an issue of female bodies being exploited through overexposure. That fact that women choose to expose themselves more than men do sort of demolishes this argument.

In general, I think it's best to leave something to the imagination, whether you're talking about the male body or the female body.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:44 PM

I remember this example. Until the early 1990s, men's shorts used to be much shorter than today. Now, it is very taboo for men to wear shorts that don't come down to their knees.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:30 PM

335 posts, read 1,311,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I remember this example. Until the early 1990s, men's shorts used to be much shorter than today. Now, it is very taboo for men to wear shorts that don't come down to their knees.
That outdated notion is changing.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
That outdated notion is changing.
It is changing, but will take a while. Even most women I know shudder at the idea of a guy in short shorts, or even less than knee long anyway. It seems the long and baggy look on male fashion started when the Hip Hop influence took hold in the early 1990s. Wearing hats turned sideways and backwards also caught on, but hats are not as trendy, for some reason, although many still wear them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty