Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 03:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Pit hair on women, to me, is more of an unattractive "novelty." You just don't see it often enough, to be accustomed to it. It doesn't gross me out though, I'm pretty ambivelent. Leg hairs on women don't really bother me much unless they -were- shaven, and are now really thick-looking stubbly porcupine hairs sticking out. The "downy soft fur" look doesn't bother me at all. Bikini line hairs that extend down the upper thighs though, are especially unsightly, when I see it at the beach or people wearing short shorts in public with those hairs poking out.

As for me, I don't grow a lot of hair, so I don't shave often. Pits maybe once a week, leg hairs once a month except in warmer weather when my legs are more exposed. Then, it's once a week or once every 10 days. Bikini line I only shave once or twice in late summer/winter/early spring, and maybe 6-7 times during the warmer months when I'm more likely to be seen wearing short shorts or bathingsuits.

I don't -have- eyebrows, so rather than pluck them, I pencil them in. I don't have the personality to pull off a Whoopie Goldberg
I have completely blond eyebrows. They are invisible. One of the wonders of henna when I tried it on my hair was it actually dyed the eyebrows too and I felt a little more bananced with them visible. No plucking though.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:21 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Around here we have a name for unshaven women: Amish.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieJK View Post
Unkempt.

I regularly shave all my body hair below my neck, and when I don't, I feel unkempt.
You let the beard and mustache grow in?

Old 02-19-2013, 02:51 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times
I think people who shave shouldn't cast judgment as to WHY people don't shave and vice versa.

I shave but not because the media says I should or peer pressure or whatever. I shave because I don't like the look of hair. I've actually been shaving ever since I had enough hair to warrant it (12 years old).

I don't understand why others don't shave, I think access body hair in the pits of our bodies smells and looks gross. But I'm not going to cast aspersions and try to come up with derogatory theories as to why some people don't. Since I don't think that way, I'm not in a position to come up with theories, IMO.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:52 PM

16 posts, read 22,094 times
Who would want to be around a hairy woman? Yes, unshaven women are definitely unkempt!

Old 09-02-2013, 02:57 AM

728 posts, read 1,898,904 times
I'm not a big fan of body hair. My personal opinion is that it makes a person seem "less clean" when they have too much of it. I'm lucky that I don't have much in the way of body hair myself, my chest and back are virtually hairless and my arm hairs are so fine you don't even see or feel them. I don't care for hair below the waist either and get everything waxed every 6 weeks. Yes it's a bit uncomfortable but the hair that does grow back is very fine and much less of it actually grows back. Some women I dated loved the smooth feeling while other preferred the more ape like look of a man with hair everywhere.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:44 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
I have never seen a woman so hairy that one might think of it as "less clean", an ape woman so to speak

Shaving is such a waste of time. If hair didn't grow back, ok, but it does grow back, again and again. Thus a waste of time. It is big business worth billions, which is probably why they keep pushing that hairless baby skin crap in the media everywhere, so that people feel unclean and outdated if they have any hair on their bodies.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:52 AM

863 posts, read 1,195,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have never seen a woman so hairy that one might think of it as "less clean", an ape woman so to speak

Shaving is such a waste of time. If hair didn't grow back, ok, but it does grow back, again and again. Thus a waste of time. It is big business worth billions, which is probably why they keep pushing that hairless baby skin crap in the media everywhere, so that people feel unclean and outdated if they have any hair on their bodies.
Excellent point. Like the "ideal" woman being a size 0 or 2, the whole shaving thing has become a marketing generated, faux American standard. You don't have to be that old to remember that this current shaving craze hasn't been going on that long. I'd say that prior to the late eighties, most women trimmed at best with a very small percentage actually shaved. And men? Men didn't shave unless they were some kind of athlete that benefited from the streamlining process. If they weren't and they did, they'd get the hairy eyeball from the other guys at the gym when it was discovered and nobody would go near him......except for that guy who always spent too much time looking down in the showers

I also agree with many of the folks on here - hair doesn't cause body odor. It can hold odor if you don't shower for days at a time and even in that respect everybody's different. Some people can stink an hour out of the shower, some (like myself and another poster) can go without a deodorant for at least a couple of days without odor.

I'm kind of surprised by so many peeps violent reaction to a woman having pubic hair, let alone women's reaction to men that don't shave. Whether you can admit it or not, you've fallen prey to media programming.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:10 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Indeed, men that shave their bodies are often considered gay here as well. That whole metrosexual thingy is a bit annoying, men trying to look a bit like women, a pathetic sense of perfection.

I guess shaving is also a symptom of luxury, people have too much spare time and money, obviously.

Pubic hair in particular is so natural, shaving that off is even weirder than shaving one's forearms or legs...

Old 09-02-2013, 08:23 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post

I'm kind of surprised by so many peeps violent reaction to a woman having pubic hair, let alone women's reaction to men that don't shave. Whether you can admit it or not, you've fallen prey to media programming.
Me too. It's a bit disturbing and sad how many men behave at the thought of women having pubic hair, like it's a crime now - how DARE she! As if she is filthy and disgusting and nasty. I don't understand why now it's wrong. I was young in the 80's, too young to date or know a lot about it but I know there was nothing much wrong with it back then. Why is it so wrong now? And I think it's hypocritical for the man to expect the woman to be almost bald, or bald, but the man doesn't have to do a thing. Sorry, but us women don't like hair in our mouths either.

I don't mind to trim there, and I do. But waxing is PAIN. If my man demands it of me, then he better be prepared to do the same!

I hate having hair on my arm pits though. I had laser hair removal there once. I'd have more but it's unaffordable at this time. And OMG did it hurt. The lady said she never seen anyone find it as painful as me though. I mean damn... it was TORTURE.

I accept my man with all his hair. He has some odd sporatic hair patches. I don't care, I will accept him for how he is, and I'd like to be accepted for how I am. Yet I do shave my legs to please him. But, I am so used to shaving due to society so I prefer to, but I do let them go a little sometimes.

As for the question, I don't really see it as either unkempt or free spirit. I know that shaving is due to years of media and society telling us, and I'm a victim of that too - but at the same time, I can't get used to women with full hairy armpits or legs. I do think the full on pubic hair removal is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty