Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:18 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times

Advertisements

The recent thread about eye shadow several women mentioning their "season." I've assumed I'm an autumn for years, but I'm puzzled now, after reading more about it yesterday. I had thought springs were pale/cool and summers were warm, probably because of the actual seasons (golden tan skin in summer, springtime skin that's still pale from being covered up in winter). I seem to have had that backwards, and summers are the paler ones? It's so confusing.

My hair is medium brown, with gold and red in it. I used to color my hair red, which looked very natural on me. My eyes are hazel (brown-green). I look good in brown, green, purple ... lots of earth tones. So I think I'm an autumn. But my skin tone is throwing me off, and that's supposedly the biggest piece of puzzle, even more important than hair. My skin has a lot of pink in it--I'm a quarter Irish/Welsh, and I have that ruddiness. I do not tan, but I flush easily. I have some pale freckles on my cheeks and get more freckly in the sun (my skin's sad attempt to tan). Still, despite all the pink I have going on, I think I have a warm skin tone; I look better in gold and ivory than silver and white. That's a way to tell, right?

Several of the descriptions I read described autumns as more golden- or olive-skinned, and that is NOT me.

Are seasons just oversimplified categories, or do I just not understand them very well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Just found this.....I'm not sure either...

Color Me Beautiful: Color Quiz - What Season Are You?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:27 AM

OK...I took the test and I'm a little surprised. I remember "back in the day" there would be a question on your skintone etc...not just your hair...Not to mention...It's been quite some time since I've seen my "natural" haircolor LOL

Old 04-14-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Just found this.....I'm not sure either...

Color Me Beautiful: Color Quiz - What Season Are You?
Hmmm, that didn't work for me. I chose my hair color, a medium brown a little left of the middle, which registered as "light." Adding "warm tones" for the gold and red I do have in my hair made me a spring, and the site compared me to blondes such as Meg Ryan, Cameron Diaz and Nicole Kidman. It says, You receive compliments in bright shades: turquoise, watermelon, salmon.

No, I look terrible in those shades.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It's been quite some time since I've seen my "natural" haircolor LOL
Hahahaha!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:33 AM

I know....it originally had me as Autumn...which I'm fairly certain I'm not....

Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
I'd always thought of Winter and Spring as "cool" skin tones with dark hair (winter) or light hair (spring); Summer and Autumn have warm skin tone with autumn having darker hair. I may just be making that up.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:38 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,444,632 times
The original color-me-beautiful theory did consider skin tone, as well as eye and hair color. There were color 'experts,' much like the Avon ladies who gave seminars, and it was most amazing to see yourself draped in color swatches -- those of your own season, a complementary season, and the wrong one. To this day, I cannot wear orange or army green with a clear conscience -- so NOT my color(s) but I love them, nonetheless.

I am truly a winter, with dark hair and dark eyes, and look best in vivid, cool colors, and black and true white. I have the hardest time with makeup as the shades of lipstick that complement my skin tone are not the colors I really like to wear -- too bright, but I have to admit when I do wear them, I get a lot of compliments. I grew up thinking I had an olive complexion, but I am fairer than what I always thought. Now that I have a lot of silver in my hair, I really enjoy wearing a lot of black and white, accessorized with silver jewelry and white or grey pearls. A winter's second-best colors are the cool pastels.

On days I wanted to leave work early because I didn't feel well, I made a point to wear pea-soup green or some shade of orange. Never failed but what someone would ask, "You feel OK today?"

Royal blue is supposedly one of the colors all of us can wear.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,546 times
Years ago I was told I was an autumn and that I should wear orange, brown, ivory, olive. I have red (orangy-red/copper) hair and dark green-blue eyes.

But it took YEARS before I realized that no...I don't know what season I am, but I'm definitely not autumn! My skin is very pale pinky-blue, and I look awesome in pink, blue, stark white, pale/pastel yellow, black. Other favorite colors are navy, teal, green, burgundy. Basically, if it's got a cool tone and looks good with silver jewelry, that's a color for me!

I have a redheaded friend who has the same skin tone, and she's got this one (yellowy) ivory colored shirt that I want to steal and destroy. It washes her out so badly! Does NOT look good on her!

I now refuse to go to makeup counters or have my makeup "professionally" done because they ALWAYS see my red hair and whip out the bronzes, corals, browns, golds, which all make me look like a clown. (When I did my makeup this morning, I used a pale taupe eyeshadow, a light rose/plum blush, and a berry lipstick. What IS interesting is that my foundation must have a hint of yellow in it.)

Old 04-14-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
The original color-me-beautiful theory did consider skin tone, as well as eye and hair color. There were color 'experts,' much like the Avon ladies who gave seminars, and it was most amazing to see yourself draped in color swatches -- those of your own season, a complementary season, and the wrong one. To this day, I cannot wear orange or army green with a clear conscience -- so NOT my color(s) but I love them, nonetheless.

I am truly a winter, with dark hair and dark eyes, and look best in vivid, cool colors, and black and true white. I have the hardest time with makeup as the shades of lipstick that complement my skin tone are not the colors I really like to wear -- too bright, but I have to admit when I do wear them, I get a lot of compliments. I grew up thinking I had an olive complexion, but I am fairer than what I always thought. Now that I have a lot of silver in my hair, I really enjoy wearing a lot of black and white, accessorized with silver jewelry and white or grey pearls. A winter's second-best colors are the cool pastels.

On days I wanted to leave work early because I didn't feel well, I made a point to wear pea-soup green or some shade of orange. Never failed but what someone would ask, "You feel OK today?"

Royal blue is supposedly one of the colors all of us can wear.
It's so funny how different colors work on people. I look great in army green and can wear darker oranges, like pumpkin and rust. Blue does nothing for me and I almost never wear anything blue other than denim. Royal blue would look outstanding on the right person, though.

Bright colors don't look right on me. I am fair-skinned, so it's almost like they reflect off my white neck and make me look sallow and sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty