Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:19 AM

10 posts, read 18,736 times

Advertisements

To the OP:

This is an illusion. Sure outside of workplaces and other influential social spheres you can wear whatever you want, but "dress codes" still apply if you want to do certain things and society is set up in a way that you have to follow this if you want a functional life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 12:01 AM

216 posts, read 668,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I recently watched on old movie clip and took notice to how dapper everyone appeared, men looked like men. No matter where they went, baseball game, movie theater, restaurant, the men all wore hats and ties. Now I'm not advocating we reel the calendar back to the roaring twenties, but some balance is in order. I hate when I go into a restaurant and see some guy sitting at the table with a baseball cap on his head. No problem if it's McDonald's, but if you're dining at a restaurant where food is served to you, take the hat off. Same with khaki shorts, flip-flops, and football jerseys...save that for the ballpark or a hot dog stand.
I LOVE this post! Men used to remove their hats in the presence of women and always when entering an indoor event; bar, restaurant, cocktail party, etc. Now men (and many women) are wearing baseball caps constantly. It looks so low class.

So many people have gotten away from wearing fitted and structured clothes that now anything outside of cargo shorts, yoga pants, game jerseys, and hoodies has been deemed "uncomfortable".

With 1/3 of the adults in the nation being overweight and/or obese, dressing well becomes even more challenging. There were not as many fat people 30-40 years ago. That makes dressing well even more uncomfortable.

I work in an office and we still have a fairly conservative dress code by today's standards. I'm amazed on what people wear to offices now days and not just on Fridays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty