Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:27 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I figured this would be an interesting discussion for a Tuesday. When you stop and think about it, do you like the fact America is largley a casual nation in terms of dress. Do you wish we were somewhat more formal in some respects. Discuss
I'm glad that we don't have to feel pressured to wear our "best" just to go shopping anymore (and my mother always dressed very nice for such outings). But I think we've slackened down way too much, and I do get tired of it.

I see people wearing things out in public that I wouldn't even wear inside my own house! And about a year or so ago I decided to move my wear up a notch. Just a notch.

But a lot of it is regional, too. Pacific Northwesterners are notorious for being TOO casual, even slovenly, and I really have to agree. When I was in New York City two years ago, I was impressed by the dressier appearances, even if I did wonder how all those women can wear heels (boots, mainly) all day long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 05:42 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,822 times
I really don't care if others are shopping in their sweats or whatever that doesn't bother me. Its seeing people in pj's at the store or exposing their genitals or butt and their boobs hanging out that bothers me. The current fashion for guys is pushing their jeans down so low that you see 3/4 of their briefs. Yeppers showing your boxers is apparently out for the younger guys. The new thing is showing your briefs and pushing the waistband down below where your "thing" is. The funny part is these guys that do it are so skinny and you can tell how little their package is because they are exposing it. This mind-boggles me as if I was them I would keep the size a secret. Then girls go to work in the spaghetti strap tank tops where their entire cleavage bubbles over the top. Too much skin that's my only complaint. I don't want to see stuff on strangers that used to be reserved for the bedroom.

In the South though my complaint is too many hairy men in tank tops or going into stores topless showing hairy backs and armpits that look like small forests. Just nasty!

Old 04-25-2010, 06:19 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
I just don't like the way people have carried casual into situations which demand something a little better. I'll never forget my first trip to Las Vegas, going out for a nice dinner and being surrounded by people wearing t-shirts and flip flops. I was utterly shocked.

Maybe it is an NYC thing, as someone just pointed out we can be a little more dressy here: To me, the thought of sitting down for a proper dinner in public dressed like I'm going for a walk on the beach is ridiculous. And frankly it drags down the experience for a lot of people - dinner in Las Vegas felt like I was eating at Applebee's. Not much of a vacation experience.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:24 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I just don't like the way people have carried casual into situations which demand something a little better. I'll never forget my first trip to Las Vegas, going out for a nice dinner and being surrounded by people wearing t-shirts and flip flops. I was utterly shocked.

Maybe it is an NYC thing, as someone just pointed out we can be a little more dressy here: To me, the thought of sitting down for a proper dinner in public dressed like I'm going for a walk on the beach is ridiculous. And frankly it drags down the experience for a lot of people - dinner in Las Vegas felt like I was eating at Applebee's. Not much of a vacation experience.
Perhaps its because Las Vegas is seen as a summer vacation place and people walk the strip in their shorts and flip flops where its hot versus in NYC people may be going into the restaurant as the only thing they do that evening thus they dress up. Versus popping in to eat after a day of walking around sightseeing. That's funny you mention Applebees because in TN where I'm originally from people would tend to dress up a bit at least putting on a nice shirt or sweater to go to Applebees type places.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Perhaps its because Las Vegas is seen as a summer vacation place and people walk the strip in their shorts and flip flops where its hot versus in NYC people may be going into the restaurant as the only thing they do that evening thus they dress up. Versus popping in to eat after a day of walking around sightseeing. That's funny you mention Applebees because in TN where I'm originally from people would tend to dress up a bit at least putting on a nice shirt or sweater to go to Applebees type places.
But you still are supposed to wash up and look presentable for dinner. If not for yourself, for your dinner companion who has to look right at you. Why do you want to sit there eating a nice meal while looking like crap and looking at crap?

I only mention Applebee's because the only time I eat there is when I am on the road for work, am very tired, and are eating at the bar. I don't have an Applebee's near me in NYC. If where you live Applebee's is the local place to have a nice dinner out, then by all means your local townspeople are absolutely correct to put on a nice shirt or sweater to dine there. It's the right thing to do, look presentable for dinner in public!!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
No!
I don't see why not...

Old 04-25-2010, 07:55 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
But you still are supposed to wash up and look presentable for dinner.
Says who? You? You'll forgive me if don't take your opinion as law.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:57 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I'm glad that we don't have to feel pressured to wear our "best" just to go shopping anymore (and my mother always dressed very nice for such outings). But I think we've slackened down way too much, and I do get tired of it.
Then you are free to wear whatever you want.

Quote:
I see people wearing things out in public that I wouldn't even wear inside my own house!
Then you are free to not wear those things inside or outside of your house

Old 04-25-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
If the thought of washing up incites you this much, you aren't the sort of person I'd have dinner with. I respect the person who sits across from me for an hour's worth of conversation, enough that I do wash up and look presentable. I expect them to do the same. No my opinion isn't law, but it does go to show we are two very different people. For better or worse.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:43 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Says everyone. Washing up and looking presentable to dine in public with a group of people...if you can't cut that you are barely human IMO.

And most establishments reserve the right to refuse service. This is one of those times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty