Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 07:01 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to get classier clothing without dress pants and collared shirts? I am interested in starting to date (after many years of illness, but that is another story. Now, you should know, I do like to look good, but I am on the casual side. I know that I have to give up sweatpants and ordinary T-shirts if I want to date. However, I HATE collared shirts. Is there any classier (ex. sweaters because its not the winter) shirts w/o collars for men? Any classier shirts that are OK for a date? What about pants? Do I need dress pants or are there any classier khakis that I could wear? Are jeans OK for men dating if they are designer? Any suggestions other than formal wear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 07:06 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Is it possible to get classier clothing without dress pants and collared shirts? I am interested in starting to date (after many years of illness, but that is another story. Now, you should know, I do like to look good, but I am on the casual side. I know that I have to give up sweatpants and ordinary T-shirts if I want to date. However, I HATE collared shirts. Is there any classier (ex. sweaters because its not the winter) shirts w/o collars for men? Any classier shirts that are OK for a date? What about pants? Do I need dress pants or are there any classier khakis that I could wear? Are jeans OK for men dating if they are designer? Any suggestions other than formal wear?
Best advice I can give is to get yourself to a good mens clothing store and get hold of an experienced salesperson.
You will probably have to spend a bit more, but the advice and fitting a good salesperson can give you is priceless....a lot of independent stores still do alterations, too.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:18 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,771 times
If you're starting from ground zero (sweatpants) you would likely benefit from a personal shopper. They're at standalone shops like J Crew and dept stores (i.e. Macy's). You're under no obligation to purchase anything and can just get some initial consultations. They can really help you understand what fashion choices are available in various price ranges.

Also, stop by a Borders and leaf through GQ, Esquire, and other men's magazines. The mags have photos that will give you ideas. The pics also specify the designers/stores where you can find said clothing. There are also articles with helpful style tips. You can probably check out these publications online as well.

Congrats on getting well!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
Honestly, it depends on your age and what social group/income bracket you're looking to fraternize with. Hitting up middle school English teachers requires a different style than trying to woo Ivy-educated neurosurgeons. If you're over 40 try to emulate George Clooney or Hugh Jackman. Middle-aged ladies go crazy over them, part of which is their casually elegant style. And yes, you can wear denim but make sure it's black or dark wash blue with no crazy pocket designs or rips/tears/distressing. Otherwise you'll like you're trying too hard.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:26 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times
SMOKING GUN Im 31, white, college educated, politically moderate and middle class. This is the socio-economic status of the women I will be dating.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:40 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
SMOKING GUN Im 31, white, college educated, politically moderate and middle class. This is the socio-economic status of the women I will be dating.
Then make sure your clothes fit correctly, we will notice, I'm in the same category, we notice stuff like that, trust me!
Make sure your shoes are polished, too....its all about the details

Old 04-30-2010, 01:29 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
if you're in your 30's & middleclass look to Banana Republic, Club Monaco, Perry Ellis or even Ben Sherman for cues on dressing up. Definitely avoid gaudy grunge-wear like Monarchy, Afflicted, Ed Hardy, Marc Ecko, Christian Audigier, unless you want to look like a guido d-bag.

As for non-collared shirts, that's tough. Polo shirts are ok for casual dates like at the ballpark or sports bar, but the ladies are gonna expect you to wear a long-sleeve collared shirt when you go to fancier restaurants. I've seen some collarless shirts at Zara but those are very designer, high fashion & you need to know how to put it together with jackets, vests & boots or whatever.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:42 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
1. Shirts. Yes, you're probably going to have to wear a collar. I know you hate them, but perhaps you have been wearing them too tight? You can wear softer knit shirts for more casual dates, but even polos (long- and short-sleeved) have collars. Collarless shirts ... well, I think of T-shirts and henleys, and those are way too casual for most dates, especially as you're beginning to meet someone.

2. Pants. You can find casual slacks (Dockers, Haggar, etc.) at department stores like JCPenney and Kohls or smaller shops like Gap, Express and Lands End. You're younger, so get flat-front pants, not pleated front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callsnap View Post
Also, stop by a Borders and leaf through GQ, Esquire, and other men's magazines. The mags have photos that will give you ideas.
Any time I've ever looked at those mags, I am always struck by how girly those guys look--well, GQ, anyway. Skinny pants, tight-fitting polos, loafers with no socks, worn by 19-year-old pretty boys. I don't think our OP is in their demographic.

GQ Endorses: Best Cotton Suits of the Spring: Wear It Now: GQ

Old 04-30-2010, 06:15 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I agree with the advise about putting yourself in the hands of a good men's clothing store. A good indicator is one with an inhouse tailor. Here, there is one called Ticknor's, but it might just be local. I guess you might do OK at a Men's Warehouse or Jos A Banks, if you get a good salesperson. You can absolutely look sharp and classic in things other than dress shirts.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:27 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,427 times
Details magazine has a lot of good ideas for guys your age (and slightly younger)...anything classic (nice flat-front khakis, dark rinse jeans that fit well, collared (sorry) shirts that can be dressed up or down, nice polos, etc). Check out Banana Republic, J. Crew, Ralph Lauren and Gap are good places to look...have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty