Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 06:04 PM

615 posts, read 1,694,505 times

Advertisements

Can you get jeans hemmed correctly and so that they look good? I've never been in the position of buying jeans that were too long before but I have found a brand that fits me very well but are too long because I don't wear more than an inch or two heels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:24 PM

335 posts, read 1,312,041 times
Yes,any good tailor will be able to. I have done it myself.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times
Never have had it look good, or felt like paying somebody who could make it look good. I have very long legs, so "the jeans fit well but are too short" is a more common plight for me than "the jeans fit well but are too long." On the rare occasion that they are too long, I simply roll/cuff them, or wear a higher heel.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:09 PM

22,618 posts, read 47,750,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have very long legs, so "the jeans fit well but are too short" is a more common plight for me than "the jeans fit well but are too long."

Me too!

I look forward to the day that I need to hem any pants....

Old 06-07-2010, 07:16 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,697,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
Can you get jeans hemmed correctly and so that they look good? I've never been in the position of buying jeans that were too long before but I have found a brand that fits me very well but are too long because I don't wear more than an inch or two heels.
Many dry cleaners offer simple hemming service at a fair price. That's who does my jeans & pants for me.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times
The other thing I run into as infrequently as it occurs that jeans are too long is that I don't generally buy expensive jeans, and it always seems ridiculous to spend more to get them hemmed than the jeans cost to begin with.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:37 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,546,454 times
The problem I had with hemmed jeans is that they look hemmed after removing the original hem from the bottom. My tailor came up with a solution for that. She cuts the original hem/seams off the bottom, makes the jeans the correct length, then sews the original hem back onto the bottom. You can't even tell they've been altered.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 PM

679 posts, read 1,804,050 times
I am 5'8" and I need to get most of my designer jeans shortened. My last pair of SFAMK jeans, I had them take 3" off the bottom and that was with me wearing a medium heel. So yes you can have them tailored and any good tailor will do a nice job matching the thread, etc. You will not be able to tell. You can also have them retain the original hem by folding the excess fabric up into the leg but that costs extra and if you look carefully, you CAN tell that the jeans have been altered. Often you're better off going at the hem with sandpaper, you'll get the same effect. And one additional tip -- wash and dry your jeans at least twice before determining the final length or you WILL be sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty