Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 01:35 AM

570 posts, read 879,844 times

Advertisements

I know the US is very big and has many different cultures in it.

But, IN GENERAL,

Being "weird (outside of norms)" in the 80's was men who had earrings, men and women who had visible tattoos, men and women who had facial earrings, men and women who dressed in black and darker shades most the time, etc, etc, etc...

But TODAY,

I feel that I'm weird. I dress in jeans, slacks, khakis, collared shirts, clean t-shirts, button downs, etc. And wear COLORS , like red, white, black, blue, green, orange, etc as well. I don't have any tattoos or piercings, nor do I want any.

But in the place I live, it is honestly like 75% or so of people I see or meet have tattoos, and/or piercings, or black shade dressers who almost always have the tattoos and piercings as well.

I have heard the argument before that people who got piercings and tattoos or who were gothic/emo/ etc , are happy with who they are and don't care what society thinks about them. However, the TATTOO/PIERCINGS GROUP IS BECOMING A MAJORITY IF NOT ALREADY ONE.

So they are CONFORMING to society now.

It's not like I really give a crap how people dress or what they do to their own bodies. However, it shrinks the dating pool for us WEIRD guys now a days. Like can you imagine a guy that wears slacks and button downs with an emo-ish woman? I myself wouldn't mind most tattoos or piercings, but will admit I wouldn't be with a woman who goes overboard on it. But I am just stating that the Piercing/Tattoo people like to stick with their own kind, since they are conformers. They are the normal society today.

You've seen those shows on national geographic, of the tribes who have the unusual piercing traditions. I wonder what civilized outer space aliens would think of this younger than 30yo generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 01:45 AM

51,847 posts, read 52,255,090 times
I grew up in the 80's, graduated high school in 87. Yes, they 80's were goofy, if anything, but they seemed like a more innocent time, sure, every generation says that, but comparing to today, where 9 yrs olds have lingerie lines.

Yeah, if a guy had an earring back in the day is was sorta a big deal, now forget about it, people walk around looking like freaks. I'm talking about working people. IDK, maybe well see how things work out.

Things are many notches past weird today, and no, they shouldn't be normal.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
I'm just glad guys don't have to wear pink any more.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:54 AM

51,847 posts, read 52,255,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Oh come on, I had a pink Izod Lacoste polo shirt, that was the shizzy back in the day.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:41 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,831,469 times
For a while then, we actually believed that the space shuttle was safe and STDs could be cured with penicillin.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:21 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,437,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
the pink craze keeps coming back. guys wear pink...

Old 06-06-2010, 09:22 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,437,746 times
i know! how about wearing your PJ's everywhere you go. that would have totally been weird if anyone had done it in the 80's. sadly it's becoming the norm now

Old 06-06-2010, 10:04 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,608,323 times
A couple tiny tattoos hidden underneath clothes are fine. But some folks are too ghetto the tattoos sceam outside of their clothes.

What I term "riff-raff". I also met some people who have weird nose piercings. Watch me running for the hills. I don't wanna be seen with such folks. Will affect my social standing

Old 06-06-2010, 02:04 PM

19,364 posts, read 12,020,462 times
Obesity was weird in the 80s.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:11 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,228,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
I know the US is very big and has many different cultures in it.

Spoiler
But, IN GENERAL,

Being "weird (outside of norms)" in the 80's was men who had earrings, men and women who had visible tattoos, men and women who had facial earrings, men and women who dressed in black and darker shades most the time, etc, etc, etc...

But TODAY,

I feel that I'm weird. I dress in jeans, slacks, khakis, collared shirts, clean t-shirts, button downs, etc. And wear COLORS , like red, white, black, blue, green, orange, etc as well. I don't have any tattoos or piercings, nor do I want any.

But in the place I live, it is honestly like 75% or so of people I see or meet have tattoos, and/or piercings, or black shade dressers who almost always have the tattoos and piercings as well.

I have heard the argument before that people who got piercings and tattoos or who were gothic/emo/ etc , are happy with who they are and don't care what society thinks about them. However, the TATTOO/PIERCINGS GROUP IS BECOMING A MAJORITY IF NOT ALREADY ONE.

So they are CONFORMING to society now.

It's not like I really give a crap how people dress or what they do to their own bodies. However, it shrinks the dating pool for us WEIRD guys now a days. Like can you imagine a guy that wears slacks and button downs with an emo-ish woman? I myself wouldn't mind most tattoos or piercings, but will admit I wouldn't be with a woman who goes overboard on it. But I am just stating that the Piercing/Tattoo people like to stick with their own kind, since they are conformers. They are the normal society today.

You've seen those shows on national geographic, of the tribes who have the unusual piercing traditions. I wonder what civilized outer space aliens would think of this younger than 30yo generation
Everything that you mention is just style. The people themselves are still the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty