Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 01:25 AM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,950 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating down to NW Ark within a few months.
Why isn't 540 expanded? When will the Bella Vista bypass be completed?
I'm curious on the responses...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:52 AM

697 posts, read 1,775,543 times
The first answer is "money". It's been discussed for a while, the state has recognized expansion and improvement of I-540 as a priority (it was built as a bypass, but is now a main artery and is certainly inadequate in parts of NWA), but they've had even worse interstates/traffic in Little Rock that's been a priority for longer that is finally getting worked on. I imagine it will still be some time before 540 is widened and expanded, but the new census numbers might help the area more effectively lobby for highway dollars.
The second answer is "eventually". The NWARPC has tried to be very creative in looking for ways to pay for the Bella Vista Bypass, and I think eventually they'll get the ball rolling on something, but it is a very expensive project that people outside of NWA (and people that drive from Kansas City south to I-40, or between I-40 and I-44) probably don't realize is even important. It will be an important step (arguably one of the most significant obstacles remaining) towards the expansion and long term completion of I-49 though, so you'd think there'd be more commitment to it.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:07 PM

77 posts, read 238,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
I will be relocating down to NW Ark within a few months.
Why isn't 540 expanded? When will the Bella Vista bypass be completed?
I'm curious on the responses...
Because there are only 500,000 people here?

The highway has enough capacity.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:30 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,112 times
540 is terribly congested and at many times dangerous to drive on in Washington and Benton counties. It should have been built with six lanes right from the start. The worsening economy probably dosen't help the funding for badly needed roads and upgrades around here too.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:13 PM

99 posts, read 301,707 times
I really think 540 adequately serves the area. I know many disagree but I've seen what it's like outside the state of Arkansas in many similarly-sized areas and larger metro areas...and we have it good, trust me.

The thing that irks me is, yes, the lack of the connection thru (well around) Bella Vista. I'm not sure why this was never put in, especially since Bella Vista was set up as a retirement community. I'm sure retired folks didn't really like the idea of semi trucks driving thru their little community just to get from Ft. Smith to Springfield.

I'm guessing they saved a lot of money back in the day by not trying to re-route around Bella Vista. There's a lot of decent-sized lakes around the area, tons of hill, etc. Bridges galore would be needed and would add up fast. Just think of how much the Ft. Smith to Fayetteville connection probably cost. But at least it was in high demand. To suffer slowing down to 45mph for 5 miles (if that) in Bella Vista really doesn't stop you from hating taking that route north...even though it's really the only route north!

Also, Google has finally updated and GPS systems are coming around to updating the fact that the bypass has finally been re-routed around Pineville and Anderson, MO to the north. Missouri paid for that obviously but it helps NWArkansans out a lot when commuting north to KC, St. Louis, and beyond. WIth this bit now in place, I don't see much incentive to finally finish the task of bypassing Bella Vista until the community grows more. Even then, despite the congestion that may evolve in Bella Vista, how many cars are really traveling north out of Arkansas on a daily basis. Not too many. It's a pretty open road - once you pass Mac*A*Doodle's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers