Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,198 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I like living self-sufficiently. It would be cool to live around others who share the same interests and could teach us a thing or two - we still have a lot to learn. We want to know if the Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers/Bentonville area is home to more than a handful like us: to some extent off the grid, eat what you grow, like canning and quilting and building your own stuff. Close to the earth. Sound familiar around there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 01:43 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Sounds like Eureka Springs to me.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:58 AM

136 posts, read 621,051 times
Arkansas, being a rural State, is full of do-it-yourself-ers. Home schooling is strong here, too. The North Central part of the State is just beautiful. While not central, there's a quilters group that meets at a church (Presbyterian, I think) at Bella Vista. I'm sure they could link you to quilters. Lots of folks garden. Watch out for Bermudagrass and Johnsongrass if you do, keep these in check or they'll take over. Check out Hook-up.com for meetings of like-minded people in your chosen neck of the woods. It has listings of groups interested in all kinds of hobbies and crafts, among other things. It's nationwide, not limited to one area, but might be a good resource for you.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
I still think Eureka Springs would be a better match for you than Bella Vista, but what do I know? Not much.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:16 PM

85 posts, read 308,247 times
Default Yep, Eureka.

100% Eureka Springs-- sounds about right.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:35 PM

136 posts, read 621,051 times
Default oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Lesher View Post
Arkansas, being a rural State, is full of do-it-yourself-ers. Home schooling is strong here, too. The North Central part of the State is just beautiful. While not central, there's a quilters group that meets at a church (Presbyterian, I think) at Bella Vista. I'm sure they could link you to quilters. Lots of folks garden. Watch out for Bermudagrass and Johnsongrass if you do, keep these in check or they'll take over. Check out Hook-up.com for meetings of like-minded people in your chosen neck of the woods. It has listings of groups interested in all kinds of hobbies and crafts, among other things. It's nationwide, not limited to one area, but might be a good resource for you.
I got that website wrong, sorry. It's: meetup.com

Old 06-26-2007, 07:03 AM

50 posts, read 317,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyVegan View Post
Hi,

My husband and I like living self-sufficiently. It would be cool to live around others who share the same interests and could teach us a thing or two - we still have a lot to learn. We want to know if the Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers/Bentonville area is home to more than a handful like us: to some extent off the grid, eat what you grow, like canning and quilting and building your own stuff. Close to the earth. Sound familiar around there?

Thanks!
I think you will find plenty of like-minded folk in the Fayetteville area. There is a wonderful coop there, Ozark Natural Foods Co-op, plus other health food stores. You might want to contact the co-op for answers. There is also a great farmer's market on the Fayetteville square with lots of organic produce. Another area with like-minded folk would be Newton County but it is very isolated, not many towns of any size. There's definitely a community of folks spread around Newton and Madison Counties with similar interests. Eureka Springs, as has been mentioned, also has like-minded folk--I lived there for many years. There was a small health food store there at that time but many locals would travel to the Fayetteville co-op for essentials (50 miles away). I think you'll find what you're looking for all over NW Arkansas, it just depends on where you want to be--more isolated or closer to city or town. Good luck.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:03 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,339 times
Default Fayetteville-Villians??

I've heard that Fayetteville is one of the fastest growing areas of the country. (I'm black and a black recruiter out of Detroit told me that. He loved the area.. or so he said.)

I'm now in Oklahoma waiting a trainer-truck for a flatbed company. I'm still looking into areas. I'm a "back-to-the-lander" too ... but before I left California, an ex-nun from Arkansas warned me repeatedly about the backwards racism and Klan activities in rural areas.

So ... would Eureka Springs be a good match for me too? I'm no longer idealistic ... nor am I angry or hostile. I'm perfectly comfortable about moving to an area where I'll be more welcomed. (e.g. areas south of Little Rock?)

So ... give it to me straight ... without the chaser ... literally ... (smile)

Old 07-02-2007, 03:21 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
The whole NW corner of the state is growing and is projected to be the most heavily populated area within 10 years......so land is going to be at a premium up there, but I think the diversity of the whole F'ville area is probably it's best drawing point. Many people leaving U of A don't ever leave F'ville now, so you have a younger, more in tune group that definitely isn't racist.

Eureka Springs has it's own feel to it - I don't know how to describe it other than a leftover Woodstock in many ways......all that being said, I'm being chased off the board with my "Arkansas will accept you" stance. I don't know where all the racists and bigots hide at, but apparently others on this board do.

All things considered, judging from your screen name I would personally say ES.....then again, you're an hour from the dreaded Harrison and apparently that whole area just went back to the cavemen, according to some of the things I am seeing on this board.

I'm native Arkansan....I'm not trying to schtick you, I promise. I'm not in either of these areas, although we travel at least twice a month up to both places. I will be honest enough to tell you I have never heard or seen what some folks are talking about, but maybe I'm not hanging with the right (wrong?) people.

Hot Springs may be a good match for you.....I don't know, vegan, I'm just hesitant to tell you NOT to go anywhere because I simply don't see the hooplah - then again, I'm not anxious to encourage you to go someplace that I think is fine because I think it's fine. Could you maybe do a little road trip and hit the bigger towns and see what you think? Maybe you could come back with a live report, too!

P.S. - I LOVE your sense of humor!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-02-2007 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Addendum

Old 07-02-2007, 04:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
My experience is strictly from reading, two visits (one many years ago) and what my granddaughter, a senior at Arkansas and her boyfriend, a true Arkansas boy say: Vegan, I still think Eureka Spings or Hot Springs might be a little closer to what you are looking for. Again, I certainly don't know as much as others about the whole situation. It is just my gut feeling.

NMnita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers