Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:52 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,348,400 times

Advertisements

~

Unfortunately, this type of tragedy happens every summer.

PLEASE, when you park your car, double-check to make sure your child is safe.

Quote:

The Bentonville Police Department is currently investigating the death of a 14 month old female child. Preliminary investigation revealed that the child was left locked in the father’s vehicle at his workplace, which is located across the street from the daycare.
Bentonville Police: Baby Left in Car Dies - NWAHomePage.com

~

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 09:08 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,716 times
I hate seeing these stories every summer. My first reaction is to get on a soapbox about bad parents, but I really believe that this could happen to any parent.

I can't count the number of times that I have left my car running to go inside and grab something, then two hours later after I have gotten involved in something that just sort of developed in that 30 second trip, I realize that my car is still running outside. I have also been at home with one of my babies and forgot that they were even there because they were so quiet while sleeping.

I would bet that this gentleman had a sleeping baby so he locked his doors, ran inside, then got sidetracked to later realize the horrible thing that happened. I feel terrible for this family.

EDIT: I guess I should have read the story first. It seems that his child was quietly sleeping in the car and he forgot to drop the child off at day care. Still a horrible situation for this man and his family.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:13 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
I don't think "forgetting" makes it better. Its a person. I never even forgot my purse in the car. Its rather quiet too.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I don't think "forgetting" makes it better. Its a person. I never even forgot my purse in the car. Its rather quiet too.
Your memory is impeccable. I wish I could keep my mind that clear.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:56 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,261 times
I don't know what to think about this type of situation. I think in most cases this will be the very worst thing that parent will ever have to endure. I can't imagine forgetting a child. I worked when my kids were young and most of the transportation to child care was my responsibility. It was something you just do, like combing your hair, you just didn't forget you had children that had to go from point a to b. It's a horrible situation for the poor child and for the parent who will forever have his/her life changed.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
I think our hearts have to go out to everyone involved in this horrible tragedy. The poor little toddler, the mommy and daddy and the siblings. Obviously from the remarks, this wasn't a reckless father, he made a horrible mistake and yes, I do understand how it could happen.

Many years ago, after having only 1 child for almost 4 years we adopted a darling baby girl. About 2 weeks after we got her we decided to take in a drive in movie one night. We got everything in the car, including our almost 4 year old. As we were driving out she said to me: mommy, can Mary Colleen take care of herself while we are gone. We had totally forgotten the baby and obviously we were anything but neglectful parents.

No, I can not imagine leaving a child in a hot car for any reason nor leaving an animal, but I do see how these things can happen. There is only one God in our world so that makes the rest of us human, and being human mistakes are made. This was a mistake that the family will live with forever...

NIta

Old 08-14-2010, 09:32 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
I can't count the number of times that I have left my car running to go inside and grab something, then two hours later after I have gotten involved in something that just sort of developed in that 30 second trip, I realize that my car is still running outside.
I had to chortle a bit at this, in a non-critical way.

The last 20 years of my career, I worked in an area with habits that I was certainly not accustomed to having come from where I did.

Although, in the state that I worked in, it was illegal to leave a car running, keys in it, and unattended, nobody cared much about that at all. It was an everyday thing in cold weather to go out, start the car in the drive, and go back in and get dressed, have another cup of coffee, whatever.

In the morning rush at the local Dunkin' Donuts, there would be 20 or more cars running in the parking lot, all unlocked, whilst the owners waited merrily in line for their chocolate w/sprinkles and one gallon cup of coffee.

Now, the really nice thing about this, is that auto thieves didn't have to spend time in the cold, bypassing wiring under the car, causing them to get cold and dirty.

That was really sweet of the owners.

So.....starting ~5:00 A.M. every morning, the phone calls would come in, with frantic owners yelling, "My car's been stolen!!", sometimes with purse, and/or cell phone with it.

Yes, folks, you can imagine the squeal of 'glee' (), when, by 5:30, owners began being told, "It's going to be about 30 minutes", whilst reports were already being taken for the other 5 that were stolen in the last 30 minutes.

At least they had their chocolate w/sprinkles and gallon of coffee while they waited in the warm.

The *really* cute part, was when they would later call back screaming because it was noted in the report that the car was left running, unlocked, unattended, with keys in it, and now the insurance company will *not* pay.

This was also reflected in the insurance rates we all paid for auto insurance, which, as you can imagine, left everyone with a warm and fuzzy affection for those that liked to have their cars stolen.

So, the chop shops made a lot of money selling the parts, the car dealers made a lot of money for new cars, Dunkin' Donuts sold more while people waited for someone to take their report, and that was the start of the "fiscal stimulation plan", which continues in one form or another today.

Betcha didn't know that.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:05 AM

Nobody wants my car.

My wife called the police on someone not long ago when she noticed the car next to her at Walmart had an unattended kid sitting in it.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:27 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,348,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post

My wife called the police on someone not long ago when she noticed the car next to her at Walmart had an unattended kid sitting in it.

What happened after that ?

?

Old 08-14-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
What happened after that ?

?
She waited by the car to make sure the kid didn't get kidnapped (the temps were not extreme). When the police arrived, they parked in front of the car to wait for the parent and my wife left. I would bet that they didn't get into much trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers