Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 5,069 times

Advertisements

I have a job opportunity in NW Arkansas. I would be working south of Bentonville, but not as far south as Fayetteville (around the town of Highfill). The housing prices look fine on the internet, but I'm not sure about the neighborhoods. Can anyone fill me in on that area. The AR tax structure also concerns me. I know there is an income tax and high sales tax, do residents find the low property tax makes up for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 03:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdave1 View Post
I have a job opportunity in NW Arkansas. I would be working south of Bentonville, but not as far south as Fayetteville (around the town of Highfill). The housing prices look fine on the internet, but I'm not sure about the neighborhoods. Can anyone fill me in on that area. The AR tax structure also concerns me. I know there is an income tax and high sales tax, do residents find the low property tax makes up for that?
WE are trying to decide between NW AR and NE Ok or maybe a little further south in AR. We too are concerned about the high taxes, but being retired it isn't as big an issue as for a family. I don't know where you are living now. to us property tax is probably the biggest item, followed by sales tax. We lived in TX with no income tax for 13 years, I would have rather paid income tax than the property taxes we paid.

As for areas, others will be able to help you more than me, but I think any area around Bentonville, Bella Vista, Fayetteville, etc should work pretty well.

Nita

Old 06-28-2007, 03:08 PM

4 posts, read 14,486 times
Default Death & Taxes!

Quote:
Greetings,

Well, low property taxes really depend on where you are coming from. Historically, Arkansas has a low property tax burden simply because land is fairly plentiful, the population is modest, and it is one of the poorest states in the Union. So, depending on where you're coming from, it could be great. The sales tax isn't really all that bad (9.25% for Fayetteville), but again it all depends on where you are coming from. Relatively speaking, Arkansas has a lower tax burden. Hope this helps!

Old 06-28-2007, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,069 times
Smile Thanks...and a follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehabgradstudent View Post
Greetings,

Well, low property taxes really depend on where you are coming from. Historically, Arkansas has a low property tax burden simply because land is fairly plentiful, the population is modest, and it is one of the poorest states in the Union. So, depending on where you're coming from, it could be great. The sales tax isn't really all that bad (9.25% for Fayetteville), but again it all depends on where you are coming from. Relatively speaking, Arkansas has a lower tax burden. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the information...we pay 3000 per year in property taxes, a 6 percent sales tax, but no income tax. I've been looking at homes off Route 12 south of Bentonville (according to the Google map). Anyone know about these developments and what that area is like?

Old 06-28-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehabgradstudent View Post
Greetings,

Actually, I hate to break this to you, but AR is in the top 10 states for overall taxation. Of course for each of us taxes are differenct. This is taking into consideration things like business taxes etc. 9.25% sales tax especially when it is on food as well as everything else is very high. Will this stop us? Probably not, but it is much higher than the national average.

Nita

Old 06-28-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the information...we pay 3000 per year in property taxes, a 6 percent sales tax, but no income tax. I've been looking at homes off Route 12 south of Bentonville (according to the Google map). Anyone know about these developments and what that area is like?
$3,000 per year can be high, depending on the valuation of your home, but 6 percent sales tax is super low.

Nita

Old 07-04-2007, 01:18 PM

136 posts, read 621,087 times
Route 12 is a nice country stretch of highway, with rolling hills and several small communities lacing through what is otherwise farm-ranch country. Highfill is the location of the regional airport, put there no doubt courtesy of WalMart dollars. I can't tell you about the real estate costs there, but certainly it is a prime area for future development that just hasn't gotten there yet. The State sales tax is 6.25 percent, with cities able to tack onto that as they choose with a city sales tax. Milage rates are by county; Benton, in this case. What you pay in state income tax can be written off your federal return in kind.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,401 times
We live in the Rogers area but our kids are zoned for Bentonville schools. Which we want them to go to Bentonvillle schools. Just a little advice about houses here, they are built fast and really check out the builder. They do have nice neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers