Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:23 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
I'm a total night owl! Maybe I am asking for too much? I just don't see how the growth could not have been predicted... Even a little... Or maybe I'm dreaming? I just don't understand how this couldn't have been somewhat thought-out. I think the problem is towns, cities, and municipalities do not work together... And with the state.
With a linear layout of Bentonville, Rogers, Lowell, Springdale, and Fayetteville, did they not expect any growth at all?

The cities, or state, or both, need to consult with a firm that deals with growth... and get a report. Have the experts do it... Not the locals. Do the AR Dept of Highways consult outside engineering firms for road projects? The growth part should be a local thing coordinated with local towns/cities.
540 was horribly planned... That much is known. I don't want to insult or make forum members angry... I just want Arkansas Department of Highways/DOT to realize that they really messed up this one!
It was predicted. That's why I-540 was built. They anticipated growth, they just didn't anticipate growth would be so large. The kind of growth that Northwest Arkansas experienced is phenomenal. It's not the kind of growth that gets projected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 09:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It was predicted. That's why I-540 was built. They anticipated growth, they just didn't anticipate growth would be so large. The kind of growth that Northwest Arkansas experienced is phenomenal. It's not the kind of growth that gets projected.
I happen to think there could have been a little better planning, but I also agree with you, no one could have ever expected the kind of growth we have seen and are seeing in the area. I guess there is no way you are going to convince some people of this. Unless they have lived here, like you have, for many years they will never understand.

Nita

Old 03-16-2011, 03:54 PM

77 posts, read 238,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
I just don't get it... Wizard, do you work for the state? You seem really educated... If so, I'd love to work with you!
I guess I've lived in places where planning was just there. The city put out a plan... and it showed colored areas of growth in the city. Green would equal residential, red would equal industrial, and blue would equal commercial. Growth followed, but not to a T. Growth was never reactive! The city put out a growth plan for the next 25 years. Why can't they do this here? I'm guessing the lack of coordination between city, town, county, state, etc. It was always proactive. Subdivisions were planned.. Not just stuck wherever. Growth was planned in an area... The streets and utilities were upgraded. The main arterial was widened... with a landscaped median... Street lighting... (something I fail to see here... I like to see where I'm driving!)
Suburban Hell, that sounds like a terrible place to live. Commercial, Residential and Industrial all neatly segregated? Were you forced to drive everywhere? Makes me sick just thinking about it.

Also what is wrong with 540? I have never gone slower than 40 mph on that road, it is very capable of handling current levels of traffic. If you do not expand it, there will be no terrible consequences new arrivals will just choose to live closer to their place of employment. Maybe it would have the positive impact of an actual urbanization process.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallbaro View Post
Suburban Hell, that sounds like a terrible place to live. Commercial, Residential and Industrial all neatly segregated? Were you forced to drive everywhere? Makes me sick just thinking about it.

Also what is wrong with 540? I have never gone slower than 40 mph on that road, it is very capable of handling current levels of traffic. If you do not expand it, there will be no terrible consequences new arrivals will just choose to live closer to their place of employment. Maybe it would have the positive impact of an actual urbanization process.
Well I agree with some of what you are saying, but not all of it. Yes, I would not want to live anywhere that set up plans like the poster quoted. It is just to organaized for me and too cookie cutter, but I will say, 540 does need to be widened, 71 needs to be extended into part of 540 and not, suddenly become just a street with stops etc. It is really a bad situation and the traffic on Walton/Walnut anywhere near commute time is a total nightmare. Hopefully one of these days some of the highhway plans will become reality and the problem will be solved or certainly better. I will also add, I have heard so many complain about the traffic during morning rush hour on 71 through Bella Vista, we have been in that traffic many times, it is only a hold up for a couple of signals. Those who complain have never lived anyplace with real traffic backups.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers