Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 07:22 AM

29 posts, read 142,464 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously contemplating moving to Fayetteville next year, but I'm not sure what neighborhoods I should consider living in.

I work from home, so proximity to work is not important. I have a child who will be five at that time. He will either be home schooled or attend a Montessori School, so public school quality is not an issue either.

I would prefer to buy a home in the $200,000 range or less. A duplex would be a plus, so I could rent out one for a little extra income.

I want to be within walking distance to parks, walking/bike trails, some shopping, and public transit. I plan to live mostly carfree.

I'd like to volunteer/participate in environmental/activist/peace organizations as well, so living where I can get to those type of activities easily would be nice.

And with a child, crime is also a factor. The less, the better, without being waaaay out in the suburbs.

Any suggestions?

I really appreciate any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 08:08 AM

119 posts, read 346,212 times
Carfree in Fayetteville severely limits your choices. Somewhere near Garland and North would work, if you can handle more of a college age crowd. Near Dickson would work, also near the square...the historic district could work, also maybe around Wilson park.

Far as crime, the usual complaint areas are the studenty section, bound roughly by Garland, North, Gregg, and Poplar; the Betty Jo area out on Wedington; and in general the south/southeast parts of the city.

"volunteer/participate in environmental/activist/peace organizations"=near downtown, Dickson, and the U of A.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:35 AM

529 posts, read 1,651,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotive View Post
Carfree in Fayetteville severely limits your choices. Somewhere near Garland and North would work, if you can handle more of a college age crowd. Near Dickson would work, also near the square...the historic district could work, also maybe around Wilson park.
They will have a tough time finding something under $200,000 near Dickson or Wilson Park. I suggest the Rolling Hills area or somewhere around Gulley Park. Another area would be west Fayetteville near Holcomb Elementary. It's more suburban but there's a lot of affordable new construction. The trail system and a new park are supposedly in the near future for that area. Don't count on public transportation in Fayetteville, it barely exists.

I would be careful about owning a duplex in Fayetteville. Your tenants may be alright but neighborhoods with duplexes in Fayetteville tend to be over run by college students and can be noisy.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:55 AM

119 posts, read 346,212 times
Yeah I know, at 200k they'd have to pick their poison. The areas you mentioned, forget any notion of carfree, even "mostly". The areas I mentioned, no housing at that price...maybe some 2-bedroom shack.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:13 PM

11 posts, read 22,940 times
The Rupple Rd. and Cross Keys areas are very nice. New homes are going up. Within walking distance to the Boys and Girls Club and to one of Fayetteville's Elementary Schools. Easy access to shopping on Wedington or MLK Jr. and easy access to I-540. One of Fayetteville's up and coming areas. Home's in $150,000 to $300,000 range.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:33 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,168 times
"Carfree" is a stumbling block. Here are my suggestions--Washington-Willow area (expand your search to include up to Prospect St). Include portions of Mt. Sequoyah as much of the mountain is zoned multi-family (some homes have downstairs apartments) You'd be walkable to grocery and other Dickson St. shopping.;

Areas around Wilson Park--you may find a home that has an apartment to rent out.

Rolling Hills area-both north and south sides of Rolling Hills. Close to Fiesta Square shopping; access to the trails system (you will have to ride a bit to hit the trail).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers