Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 AM

61 posts, read 166,143 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating (again) to Fayetteville from Lawrence, KS in a year or two. I lived in NWA many years ago while attending massage school and moved back to Lawrence because I couldn't deal with the in your face Christianity. While I love Lawrence because of the people/community, I surely do miss the beautiful outdoors of NWA. As I get older (a whooping 35), I am more concerned with spending time in the woods and in clean water than I am with a thriving nightlife or super-hipster atmosphere. (and contrary to what people say, Fayetteville in my eyes does not have a thriving nightlife/music scene, thankfully.) I lived in the Pacific Northwest for about 10 years and really miss clean water, hiking, etc. I find NWA to be a nice compromise and actually more accessible in terms of water temps, etc.

I guess my pertinent question is; is there much of a Buddhist community in Fayetteville? I have heard people say time and time again, "people don't throw their religious views in your face if you don't ask for it"...but my experience with Arkansas was not that at all. I have no time for that, I am not interested in discussing God with anyone. I am however interested in a community of fellow Buddhists, particularly in the Theravada tradition. I enjoy coming together for meditation, discussion, etc.

Please reply only if you're wanting to help me with my questions regarding a Buddhist community and not to tell me how it's wrong. ~Namaste

PS. Might I add, I think Fayetteville is definitely a step ahead of Lawrence in terms of sustainable city planning, which is super important to me. Congratulations!

Last edited by cunojo; 04-04-2011 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,869 times
If they don't have a Buddhist community, perhaps you could start one there. I just googled it and found out there is a facebook page for the Buddhists in Northwest Arkansas. I don't think anyone is going to tell you it's wrong or whatever. I think anyone of any religion, faith or whatever justs wants to share what makes them happier, stronger, whatever. If you don't subscribe to that, just be polite and say no thank you. No need to argue.

here's the website I found:
http://www.nwabuddhist.info/

AYC Family of Instructors | Arkansas Yoga Center : Fayetteville, AR
one of the people here leads a meditation class

Meditation Center - South Central USA
more info for you

Old 04-04-2011, 12:23 PM

Thanks LadyKLO: I have googled this before myself and while I end up finding a few things, when I clink on the links, they doesn't direct me anywhere. Such as, the sites I find are no longer available. I will probably just have to wait and take my chances once I get there. Lawrence doesn't have their sangha's listed online either, but they are found within the community.

As far as " I don't think anyone is going to tell you it's wrong or whatever"...have you personally ever lived in the Delta and/or south? I have, and I am here to tell you that I have experienced a lot of judgement. Thank you for your help.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:38 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunojo View Post
I lived in NWA many years ago while attending massage school and moved back to Lawrence because I couldn't deal with the in your face Christianity.
Quote:
As far as " I don't think anyone is going to tell you it's wrong or whatever"...have you personally ever lived in the Delta and/or south? I have, and I am here to tell you that I have experienced a lot of judgement.
I believe you've described your situation well here. You tried it once, and left because you didn't like it. Doing the same thing and expecting a different result is usually...unrealistic. Best wishes on your search.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:52 PM

Right.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks LadyKLO: I have googled this before myself and while I end up finding a few things, when I clink on the links, they doesn't direct me anywhere. Such as, the sites I find are no longer available. I will probably just have to wait and take my chances once I get there. Lawrence doesn't have their sangha's listed online either, but they are found within the community.

As far as " I don't think anyone is going to tell you it's wrong or whatever"...have you personally ever lived in the Delta and/or south? I have, and I am here to tell you that I have experienced a lot of judgement. Thank you for your help.
I am from Memphis, TN. My parents are from Mississippi so I know about the south very well. I just happen to live in southern California now. I'm Christian and would never judge you for wanting to live your life anyway that you choose. I am sorry you experience such judgment in that area.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:02 PM

I think most people would compare NW Arkansas, particularly Fayetteville, as being more Midwestern than Southern, and certainly a different animal entirely from the Delta. I'd be surprised if there isn't a Buddhist community in Fayetteville.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I think most people would compare NW Arkansas, particularly Fayetteville, as being more Midwestern than Southern, and certainly a different animal entirely from the Delta. I'd be surprised if there isn't a Buddhist community in Fayetteville.
I found a facebook page for the Buddhists in NWA and there were 6 people on that page. Might not be many but they are there.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
I found a facebook page for the Buddhists in NWA and there were 6 people on that page. Might not be many but they are there.
Only six?!? Yikes. That does surprise me.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM

Only six were posted. I suspect there are more but for whatever reason didn't join the page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers