Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 04:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesearch View Post
Okay so would you guys rule out living in Fayetteville because of the commute?
Absolutely not. If you are the type that hates traffic and has never seen a traffic jam it might be one thing, but if you do not mind a few minture or 1/2 hour or so on the road you would be fine. Heck, I have lived where there is traffic (bumper to bumper) daily. It is only rarely it bothers us here. Our granddaughter lives in West fork (south of Fayetteville) and commutes 45 minutes each day, if doesn't bother her one bit. I think you also mentioned attending Community college, it is right off the highway, so you wouldn't be fighting traffic after you exit 540.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesearch View Post
Okay. Thanks I will relay that back to my Dad.
DC is giving you a good estimate. As much as I love Bella Vista, remember you would be fighting the same 30 minutes or so to get into the Bentonville area so I wouldn't let the traffic stop you from living where you are going to be the happiest.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:46 PM

127 posts, read 216,855 times
There is not much to do here so be prepared for that. If you like the outdoors it is nice but for only a couple of months a year then the rest is either cold or burning hot and humid.

Fayetteville would be the best place to be if you are a young adult (college years+) but the rest of the area is pretty meh. Also, the University has put so many rules in place it isn't like when I was there and the fraternity and sorority life was really happening.

Dickson Street (someone actually spelled it Dixon in this thread) in Fayetteville is your best bet for things to do. Good vibe and plenty of food/pubs to frequent. It is not however a great place for adults (30-40 yr old) and if you fit that bill you might as well stay home in NWA.

Good luck on your search and hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:45 PM

158 posts, read 434,206 times
Thanks again all!! nmnita, That traffic does not sound too bad. My Dad has driven worse!

necraven, we don't fit the bill of 30-40yrs yet lol (me and my sis) I don't understand that age group not fitting in...but hey. And everyone is different, but from what I have read the area sounds good to me. But thank you for your well wishing, your opinion is appreciated

Old 06-26-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necraven View Post
There is not much to do here so be prepared for that. If you like the outdoors it is nice but for only a couple of months a year then the rest is either cold or burning hot and humid.

Fayetteville would be the best place to be if you are a young adult (college years+) but the rest of the area is pretty meh. Also, the University has put so many rules in place it isn't like when I was there and the fraternity and sorority life was really happening.

Dickson Street (someone actually spelled it Dixon in this thread) in Fayetteville is your best bet for things to do. Good vibe and plenty of food/pubs to frequent. It is not however a great place for adults (30-40 yr old) and if you fit that bill you might as well stay home in NWA.

Good luck on your search and hope you find what you are looking for.
You probably needed to read the entire thread to understand what the OP is looking for, it isn't a huge party life like you might want. He/she is a soon to start college student, moving with parents and I think younger sister, in high school. I doubt this family really cares much about the Greek life on the campus of AR. BTW, our granddaughter enjoyed her years as a sorority girl at Fayetteville just a few years ago.

I am surprised at how you view NWA weatherwise; yes, there are a couple of summer months (right now as a matter of fact) that are hot and humid, most people (especially younger ones) take this time of year to enjoy boating, rafting, early morning walks and things like the Farmers markets, etc. The fall is beautiful from mid Sept to early Dec and the spring from Mar to May is wonderful. We really only have a few months of the year that many of us live inside. I see things quite differnenty than you do, I see 8 months out of the year great for outdoors living, you see only a couple. I guess we all have different thoughts on the subject. I did notice, from one of your other postings you mentioned how much you disliked living here and couldn't wait to move to the NE. Well, get ready for real winter. I have a friend in Boston, they had their last snow a few weeks ago.

Last edited by nmnita; 06-26-2011 at 08:19 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You probably needed to read the entire thread to understand what the OP is looking for, it isn't a huge party life like you might want. He/she is a soon to start college student, moving with parents and I think younger sister, in high school. I doubt this family really cares much about the Greek life on the campus of AR. BTW, our granddaughter enjoyed her years as a sorority girl at Fayetteville just a few years ago.

I am surprised at how you view NWA weatherwise; yes, there are a couple of summer months (right now as a matter of fact) that are hot and humid, most people (especially younger ones) take this time of year to enjoy boating, rafting, early morning walks and things like the Farmers markets, etc. The fall is beautiful from mid Sept to early Dec and the spring from Mar to May is wonderful. We really only have a few months of the year that many of us live inside. I see things quite differnenty than you do, I see 8 months out of the year great for outdoors living, you see only a couple. I guess we all have different thoughts on the subject. I did notice, from one of your other postings you mentioned how much you disliked living here and couldn't wait to move to the NE. Well, get ready for real winter. I have a friend in Boston, they had their last snow a few weeks ago.
If she is starting college then she probably DOES care about college life which is what I was referring to. I have three children and my wife and I still go out on dates and enjoy nightlife, we just don't enjoy college nightlife. Unfortunately, that is all that is here.

With weather I forgot to add if you have allergies forget it. My wife is closed up indoors 8 months of the year because of pollen, ragweed, mold, etc. Asked a doctor his advice about battling it.....he said MOVE. I kid you not.

I don't mind winter. I have a buddy that lives in Boston as well and have spoken to many up that way that basically say (and by me checkin the weather consistently) you get about 3 weeks longer of winter weather than here. I have been to Maine and New Hampshire in the fall and it is like no other place I have seen. And granted, no place is perfect so it is all in what you are willing to trade for something else. I think I can deal with winter to get public transit, cool venues, great non-chain restaurants, awesome summer, spring and fall seasons, professional sports, skiing, beaches, craft brews, proximity to NYC, Philly, Hartford, RI, DE, cheaper flights to anywhere in the country and overseas and some of the best learning institutions within a 30 mile radius that exist in the world. Just to name a few.

You see, my main issues with here are options. I don't get as many in NWA. Whether it be places to eat, job opportunities, cost of flying to other destinations, education for my children, etc. I am blessed to have a career that allows me to gain a competitive wage and a quality of life but it still does not mean that I will have that job forever and the alternatives here are not good. Trust me, I have seen plenty of wages in this area and they are far below the average for even our cost of living.

I don't dislike Arkansas. I was born here, raised here and went to college here. It is definitely a great place for some but for others who want a few more options...not so much. I have spent half my life here and would like to spend the other half of my life (God willing) experiencing something else. Whether it is New England, Colorado, Chicago or Italy. Life experiences only help me grow. You obviously enjoy it and that is great. I am just giving people another person's point of view.

"Carpe Diem"

Old 06-26-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
If she is starting college then she probably DOES care about college life which is what I was referring to. I have three children and my wife and I still go out on dates and enjoy nightlife, we just don't enjoy college nightlife. Unfortunately, that is all that is here.

With weather I forgot to add if you have allergies forget it. My wife is closed up indoors 8 months of the year because of pollen, ragweed, mold, etc. Asked a doctor his advice about battling it.....he said MOVE. I kid you not.

I don't mind winter. I have a buddy that lives in Boston as well and have spoken to many up that way that basically say (and by me checkin the weather consistently) you get about 3 weeks longer of winter weather than here. I have been to Maine and New Hampshire in the fall and it is like no other place I have seen. And granted, no place is perfect so it is all in what you are willing to trade for something else. I think I can deal with winter to get public transit, cool venues, great non-chain restaurants, awesome summer, spring and fall seasons, professional sports, skiing, beaches, craft brews, proximity to NYC, Philly, Hartford, RI, DE, cheaper flights to anywhere in the country and overseas and some of the best learning institutions within a 30 mile radius that exist in the world. Just to name a few.

You see, my main issues with here are options. I don't get as many in NWA. Whether it be places to eat, job opportunities, cost of flying to other destinations, education for my children, etc. I am blessed to have a career that allows me to gain a competitive wage and a quality of life but it still does not mean that I will have that job forever and the alternatives here are not good. Trust me, I have seen plenty of wages in this area and they are far below the average for even our cost of living.

I don't dislike Arkansas. I was born here, raised here and went to college here. It is definitely a great place for some but for others who want a few more options...not so much. I have spent half my life here and would like to spend the other half of my life (God willing) experiencing something else. Whether it is New England, Colorado, Chicago or Italy. Life experiences only help me grow. You obviously enjoy it and that is great. I am just giving people another person's point of view.

"Carpe Diem"
yes, we spent many years in the DC area and used to vacation in NE every Oct plus we have cruised the area and into Canada in late Sept. It is beautiful and yes, you will have the life that you think will suit you better. For you, AR doesn't seem to be a place that can make you happy right now. Everyone needs to experience different regions and life styles. After being raised in So Ca, living in Co, DC, Texas and NM, we have seen it all. Everyone has different ideas about what is important to them. My remarks had to do with what the OP is looking for and what his background is. I do not think the party college life is number one on the mind of that family.

As for income, sorry, again we have lived all over, when you consider cost of living salaries in AR both working class and white collar are average for the country. Again, you can't go by stats or charts you find on the net, but by experience.

I can identify with the alergy situration, but again, there are many areas that have a lot of allegins. If comes with living in a natural setting. The more trees, plants and grasses, the greener it is, the more alergy sufferers have to cope with. This also depends on what a person is alergic to; your wife must be alergic to what is growing in NWA, I have problems as well, but it was worse in NM. As a child, our son suffered more in Ca than anywhere.

NIta

Nita

Old 06-26-2011, 02:33 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,161,310 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, that is all that is here.

With weather I forgot to add if you have allergies forget it.

I have a buddy that lives in Boston as well and have spoken to many up that way that basically say (and by me checkin the weather consistently) you get about 3 weeks longer of winter weather than here.

I have spent half my life here and would like to spend the other half of my life (God willing) experiencing something else.
Your uniformly negative opinions are not supported by facts. As the saying goes, "Opinions are like noses. Everyone has one." Other people can decide for themselves.

Do you seriously think there's no nightlife aside from "college life" in NWA? And many people don't consider a Greek life to be desirable, though I note you mourn the old days when it was really "happening" before rules and such spoiled the fun.

People have different triggers for allergies. What makes your wife miserable, may or may not be a problem for someone else. I live in Phoenix. Lots of people have allergies here, as well.

I was astonished to see you compare a New England winter with NWA. How on earth can you compare the bitter cold of New England winters with winters in Arkansas???

I hope you find a place to live that you actually enjoy. However, wherever you move, you'll bring the same attitudes and habits with you. And, one day, you'll likely be back on C-D, carping about your new home.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:35 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Your uniformly negative opinions are not supported by facts. As the saying goes, "Opinions are like noses. Everyone has one." Other people can decide for themselves.

Do you seriously think there's no nightlife aside from "college life" in NWA? And many people don't consider a Greek life to be desirable, though I note you mourn the old days when it was really "happening" before rules and such spoiled the fun.

People have different triggers for allergies. What makes your wife miserable, may or may not be a problem for someone else. I live in Phoenix. Lots of people have allergies here, as well.

I was astonished to see you compare a New England winter with NWA. How on earth can you compare the bitter cold of New England winters with winters in Arkansas???

I hope you find a place to live that you actually enjoy. However, wherever you move, you'll bring the same attitudes and habits with you. And, one day, you'll likely be back on C-D, carping about your new home.
I think Necraven is just expressing his point of view, and if his view doesn't agree with most people's, it's still needed to provide balance. I do know many people have issues with allergies in the area. I think Northwest Arkansas is difficult for people who suffer allergies because so many of the activities are outdoors.

The university and university-age students do dominate some of the entertainment down in Fayetteville, but I think the perception that older people can't enjoy that entertainment is mistaken. I do remember when I was in my early twenties feeling out of place when there were a lot of college-age students around, but I think that that was because I was still in the mode of seeing those venues as social events where connecting with other people was the priority. As you get older, you do go to those venues to be entertained, to enjoy without the need to feel like one of the crowd. It's not about maturity or anything, it's just that your needs change. I wouldn't hesitate to go to George's Majestic Lounge to catch a progressive band, and I'm a long way from being a college student. I wouldn't feel out of place, either, because if you're a fan of the band, it doesn't matter how old you are.

I will say this, winters in Northwest Arkansas are different from what they were 50 years ago. The ice storms have become an annual event when they were rarer, the snowfall has gotten heavier and more long-lasting. Even when there was a heavy snowfall in the seventies, the snow lasted only a day or so, certainly not a week like this past year. And having been born and raised in New England, and still having relatives there, the winters have changed there, as well, from what they were 50 years ago. New England's weather is moderated by its proximity to the ocean, but my relatives who've mostly lived there their entire lives will tell you that New England's winters have gotten harsher. The weather there has become just generally more extreme, with hotter summers than usual, and colder, fiercer winters than usual. Weekend after weekend, when I talk to my relatives during the winter months, I'm talking about having gone hiking, and needing to remove my jacket because it's so mild outside, while my relatives are talking about using a woodstove because the cost of fuel is so high, and they went snowmobiling and were chilled to the bone. In all probability, I'll have my windows open in January to let some fresh air in. That's a near impossibility for my northern relatives.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post

I will take each point one at a time:

I was referring to the girl who is GOING IN COLLEGE. Good grief, this is the second time that one of you has tried to point that I am talking to the parents in this scenario. If you know of night life in NWA, please post examples.

Ragweed, pollen and mold are known allergens. It is also a fact that they are extremely potent in this area during Spring and Fall. That is a fact, not something that is my opinion. Many, many people in this area suffer from them. I do not so I am lucky. Why would the doctor tell us he has treated many, many people with no luck and that our best bet is to move? I will assume since he deals with this sort of thing all day every day that he has a better insight on it than myself.

Please point out where I compared NWA winters to New England winters. No where did I even come close to saying that. Go back and reread what I wrote. I said they get 3 weeks longer (this is a variation in time not degrees).

So yes, this is my opinion of the area and I sort of thought this was what this forum was about. People give their opinion and the readers dissect them and make a decision on those opinions. I see no place in what I wrote that I misrepresented "facts" other than you said I am lying about the "night life" here in which I am waiting on your reply.

To me it seems you are very passionate about NWA and I think that is great. I also think you take offense into what you see as me attacking "your" area. I am only giving "my opinion" on what I have seen and lived for the last 10 years. Tack on the fact that I have lived the other 28 years across Arkansas. Like I have said before, I don't hate Arkansas. It is a great place for some but it just depends on your quality of life and what you want.

Just because I give an opinion that might not equal everyone else's, does not mean I am wrong. It just means it is different. It comes from a 38 year old, father of 3 girls, loves sports and fitness and who is a technology professional. If you are a 68 year old woman and moving here, you don't want to listen to me because we don't have the same ideas. If you are a 35 year old that likes to sit in front of a tv all day, go to your job at Wal-mart ISD for 10 hours a day and take your family to Red Lobster on the weekend then you don't need to listen to me. You would be surprised how people find out on these forums if the person they are talking to is someone they relate to or not and how much weight to give their opinion.

To your final point, you might just be right. Who knows what lies ahead and if I will not love the next chapter in my life. I kept searching out jobs when I started my career years ago until I found one I love. Should I have stayed in those other lower paying jobs just because I was already there and other people at the company thought it was great? You see, each person's situation is different and we are not all square pegs that fit in square holes. Don't take offense that I don't love it here. If you read other state forums on this site on places I talk about wanting to go, some hate it there and some love it. No place is perfect for all.

Thank you for replying and I do enjoy criticism and debate. It is what makes us different. Otherwise, it would be a boring world if we all thought the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers