Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:32 PM

23 posts, read 61,552 times

Advertisements

One huge positive I can find in NWA is that black people are very friendly towards white people (and it seems the other way around too). Race relations have been much more tense everywhere else I have lived!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,415 times
Default Hello!!

I know you posted this a while ago, However I am searching for info like you were. I'm wondering if you actually took the job in springdale. I myself have acccepted a nursing position there. I'm actively looking for a home and for more information about the springdale/fayettville areas... Moderator cut: snip

Thank you. and i hope everything has worked out for you no matter where you are.

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-21-2012 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Please do not post your email address on an anonymous internet forum - it's not wise.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:26 PM

36 posts, read 173,488 times
I'm not a white person (neither am I black) residing in NWA for a couple of years and I have to say I have seen a steady influx of black people in my time here. However, there are still a very small minority compared to Asians, Indians and Hispanics.. Its still very much a white community.

Overall, Rogers-Bentonville-Springdale-Fay are okay regions.. I have never had any odd looks, comments or anything of that sorts. However, I still feel concerned time to time when I have to interact with less educated morerural time people. Overall, my experience has been a good one. This place has more of a small town feeling rather than a big city which I tend to miss from time to time... The pros are it has alot of natural beauty and really nice trails and stuff.

Hope this helped.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timewaster99 View Post
I'm not a white person (neither am I black) residing in NWA for a couple of years and I have to say I have seen a steady influx of black people in my time here. However, there are still a very small minority compared to Asians, Indians and Hispanics.. Its still very much a white community.

Overall, Rogers-Bentonville-Springdale-Fay are okay regions.. I have never had any odd looks, comments or anything of that sorts. However, I still feel concerned time to time when I have to interact with less educated morerural time people. Overall, my experience has been a good one. This place has more of a small town feeling rather than a big city which I tend to miss from time to time... The pros are it has alot of natural beauty and really nice trails and stuff.

Hope this helped.
you are right, we see more minorities of all kinds by the day, which is creating a more diverse community which certainly is a positive step in my opinion. Of course all of NWA is still very much white or Hispanic, but there are a lot more Indain Americans, mid easterners period, blacks and mixed couples all the time.

Nita

Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 PM

56 posts, read 127,055 times
The more urban parts of NWA are ok but do not--absolutely do not--move anywhere remotely rural. You will be hated behind your back by a large percentage of the population, harassed by the cops, and kept de-facto segregated out of local life and society.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:53 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,131,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmm View Post
The more urban parts of NWA are ok but do not--absolutely do not--move anywhere remotely rural. You will be hated behind your back by a large percentage of the population, harassed by the cops, and kept de-facto segregated out of local life and society.
I don't think it's fair, wise, or accurate to make broad statements like this about anything. Generalizations do not help people decide about relocation.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:40 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Do you actually live in NWA? I am assuming you do not....In fact it appears you live in Seattle, so unless you live someplace of have been part of that community in very recent years, you may not know how things do change...Today's NWA or AR period is not the AR of 10 or 30 years ago, maybe not even 5 years ago.

Nita

Old 09-05-2012, 02:48 PM

127 posts, read 215,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I'm not from Arkansas; I live in Arizona. However, I do have a lot of family in NW Arkansas - mostly Bentonville, Bella Vista, and Rogers. When I visit them, I'm struck by how it's nothing like I imagine the South, aside from the great physical beauty of the area. For every "down home" Southern person I meet, there are an equal or greater number of people of varying backgrounds, ethnicities, and color. And a decided variety of accents, as well.

I think having the Wal-mart home office in the area, as well as the university in Fayetteville has attracted a broader spectrum of people. This has caused that corner of the state to change more rapidly than, say, the delta portion of the state.

All I can say as an outsider, is that this is not 1950, and Arkansas is nothing like most outsiders think it is. The Arkansas branch of my family includes evangelical Christians, headbangers, agnostics, a goat farmer, a true Southern belle (reminiscent of Scarlett O'Hara), a graphic artist, a banker, a hay farmer, a mixed-race family, a psychologist, and several Wal-mart executives. NW Arkansas more accurately reflects the rest of the country today than old stereotypes.

I think the o/p will find what she's looking for in NW Arkansas.
I noticed this because this thread was bought back up but one thing to note is NWA is NOT THE SOUTH. It is Mid-west feel at best. I would compare NWA to St.Louis at this point in time given all the transplants that have arrived.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:13 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,131,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by necraven View Post
I noticed this because this thread was bought back up but one thing to note is NWA is NOT THE SOUTH. It is Mid-west feel at best. I would compare NWA to St.Louis at this point in time given all the transplants that have arrived.
That post was directly responding to the topic of Black families in NWA, not whether NWA is the South. We already have a long thread on that topic.

Now, back to the topic of this thread, please.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:37 AM

36 posts, read 173,488 times
Quote:
It is actually true, stay away from the rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers