Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 12:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,792 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first time using a forum to find out information this way, but I am looking for some honest inputs about the Bentonville/Rogers area.

I am a single mother of a five year old. I am a nurse, and I have began the moving process (research) to move to either Bentonville or Rogers. However, I am hesitant because I come from a small town (but I have lived in a large city before). Can anyone help me out with what to expect, or suggest what to do to get acquainted with Bentonville/Rogers.

I want to live (lease) in a area with a good school system, work opportunities for myself, somewhere that is opened to young professionals (Im 23, but mature for my age) and family friendly.

Please offer me ANY and ALL positive information to prepare me with this move in several months. Please tell me the pros and cons that you feel will be helpful with making my decision. Also, PM me any information or websites that may be helpful also.

Thank a Bunch!!!

Ive rea so many posts already that has given me great insight so far. Im excited and scared all at once
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 05:19 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
of course the first question that comes to mind: if you know nothing about the area why have you decided to move here? I am not saying this to be a smart ass, just wondering? Now, what you can expenct in housing, etc depends on your housing budget and where you plan to work: I am assuming you are an RN, is that correct? We have 3 good hospitals in the Rogers/Bentonville area plus, of course Fayetteville. All of the area, for the most part have outstanding schools so your little one will be fine.

As for small town, versus large city, this is one of the greatest things about NWA, it is a great mixture of both, giving you that small town feeling but you have the amenities of a larger city.

Nita

Old 08-26-2012, 05:42 AM

14 posts, read 37,424 times
Much will depend on your socio-political views, as well as your religious affiliation (or lack thereof).

Old 08-26-2012, 10:13 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,128,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScribe2012 View Post
Much will depend on your socio-political views, as well as your religious affiliation (or lack thereof).
She's asking about Bentonvile and Rogers, for goodness sakes. That statement is rather extreme, don't you think?

Old 08-27-2012, 01:57 AM

2 posts, read 5,792 times
Yes, Nita I have done some research and I have seen most of what the area has to offer as for school systems and work, but it's nothing like hearing first hand from people who have already experienced the life there. I know I won't be able to find out everything before the move. I think maybe I worded my question wrong starting off. I guess what I'm trying to do is use the input I recieve from here and compare it with the information I already have to see if what I believe or feel is accurate or a good move. You know how it is when you try something new... most times you want to know what someone else thinks before you try it. I was hoping to see someone tell me what area is better than the next when it comes to neighborhoods, or one realtor is better than the next, ect., but thanks for your reply.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:33 AM

Well City Data is one of the best places you could have found to get information. That is how we learned about NWA, first from our granddaughter who was about to graduation from U of A the year we decided to relocate and then from CD. In fact we were considering about 3 or 4 possible locations and decided on Bella Vista mainly based on what we learned right here as well as a visit or two of course.

Most of Bentonville and Rogers are just fine, but housing allowance will be the key factor. As for recommending a realtor, I don't think we can do that here on CD. People can PM you with ideas though.

Keep asking questions, everyone here will do their best to give you honest answers.

Nita

Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 AM

14 posts, read 37,424 times
Default Repsonse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
She's asking about Bentonvile and Rogers, for goodness sakes. That statement is rather extreme, don't you think?
No, I believe my statement was rather neutral.

She asked for positive information, and then she referred to pros and cons. I'm a little unclear as to what she wants, so I made a very general statement. I think an individual's socio-political views and religious alignment come into play no matter where they move.

Not everyone belongs in New York City, and not everyone would be happy with southern Alabama or west Texas.

Don't you agree?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,128,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScribe2012 View Post
No, I believe my statement was rather neutral.

She asked for positive information, and then she referred to pros and cons. I'm a little unclear as to what she wants, so I made a very general statement. I think an individual's socio-political views and religious alignment come into play no matter where they move.

Not everyone belongs in New York City, and not everyone would be happy with southern Alabama or west Texas.

Don't you agree?
The o/p asked about B'ville and Rogers, specifically. She did not ask for general philosophical advice. So, no, I don't agree.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,714,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
The o/p asked about B'ville and Rogers, specifically. She did not ask for general philosophical advice. So, no, I don't agree.
And I agree with you.

Since the OP says she comes from a small town, I think she thinks Rogers and Bentonville are bigger than she's used to. Rogers and Bentonville are ambitious towns, more than anything else. They want growth, they want prosperity, and the policies of the two communities reflect that. They are business-friendly, and they are always looking to expand the amenities that attract people to the area. They've both built bigger libraries wired for technology. They've both built new schools, and they pay teachers well. There are arts centers and water parks and trails. They've joined forces to bring in restaurants and shopping venues that new residents are familiar with and look for. The medical services in the area are constantly expanding, to serve both the growing population and an aging population. Northwest Arkansas is aggressively trying to position itself as a leader in the state of Arkansas, economically, socially, politically.

And even so, Rogers and Bentonville both are rooted as traditional small towns. While the growth has transformed both communities, and that growth has occurred between the two towns so that now there is really no division, the towns are fully adjoined so that neighborhoods sprawl over the borders, and especially businesses and commercial areas sprawl over the borders.

Rogers Main Street is working hard on rejuvenating the old Rogers downtown, there are new businesses there and it's an interesting and eclectic mix. It's still got a ways to go, though, to really become a destination area. They are currently looking at a land purchase east of downtown to add to the parks system which will complement and extend Lake Atalanta's trail system. Frankly, I really would like to see the City of Rogers doing more in the eastern side of the community, which is really the older part of the community. They've focused a lot of attention and a lot of resources toward the expanding western side of town, and that's had a lot of positive results for the community as a whole. I think the eastern side could benefit from some attention and resources as well.

Bentonville has also had growth, and they've expended resources to support that growth. But I think because Bentonville is also the county seat, their historic downtown and square have fared better over the years than Rogers'. And the addition of Crystal Bridges just to the northeast of the square, and the extensive trail system that has been built up in that area, has really been a boon to that downtown. While I miss some of the old businesses, the new businesses generate a lot of energy and excitement. Bentonville has just done an outstanding job of maximizing what they have and keeping the historic character present while introducing a lot of new and sophisticated venues into the mix.

Both Rogers and Bentonville have very good school systems. And they are constantly working to improve, so when something is found lacking, the school system works to address the need. It may take time, but they are responsive to the community.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And I agree with you.

Since the OP says she comes from a small town, I think she thinks Rogers and Bentonville are bigger than she's used to. Rogers and Bentonville are ambitious towns, more than anything else. They want growth, they want prosperity, and the policies of the two communities reflect that. They are business-friendly, and they are always looking to expand the amenities that attract people to the area. They've both built bigger libraries wired for technology. They've both built new schools, and they pay teachers well. There are arts centers and water parks and trails. They've joined forces to bring in restaurants and shopping venues that new residents are familiar with and look for. The medical services in the area are constantly expanding, to serve both the growing population and an aging population. Northwest Arkansas is aggressively trying to position itself as a leader in the state of Arkansas, economically, socially, politically.

And even so, Rogers and Bentonville both are rooted as traditional small towns. While the growth has transformed both communities, and that growth has occurred between the two towns so that now there is really no division, the towns are fully adjoined so that neighborhoods sprawl over the borders, and especially businesses and commercial areas sprawl over the borders.

Rogers Main Street is working hard on rejuvenating the old Rogers downtown, there are new businesses there and it's an interesting and eclectic mix. It's still got a ways to go, though, to really become a destination area. They are currently looking at a land purchase east of downtown to add to the parks system which will complement and extend Lake Atalanta's trail system. Frankly, I really would like to see the City of Rogers doing more in the eastern side of the community, which is really the older part of the community. They've focused a lot of attention and a lot of resources toward the expanding western side of town, and that's had a lot of positive results for the community as a whole. I think the eastern side could benefit from some attention and resources as well.

Bentonville has also had growth, and they've expended resources to support that growth. But I think because Bentonville is also the county seat, their historic downtown and square have fared better over the years than Rogers'. And the addition of Crystal Bridges just to the northeast of the square, and the extensive trail system that has been built up in that area, has really been a boon to that downtown. While I miss some of the old businesses, the new businesses generate a lot of energy and excitement. Bentonville has just done an outstanding job of maximizing what they have and keeping the historic character present while introducing a lot of new and sophisticated venues into the mix.

Both Rogers and Bentonville have very good school systems. And they are constantly working to improve, so when something is found lacking, the school system works to address the need. It may take time, but they are responsive to the community.
you have done a great job of explaining what to expect in both Bentonville and Rogers. I love the little downtown section of Rogers. Of course everyone enjoys visiting Bentonville square. As I have said, to us, the beauty of living in NWA is the combination of rural and city..I don't really thing religion or politics really influence how we precieve the area...Although, most of us know the area does lean to the right and yes, there are some Bible thumpers it is really quite diverse, becoming more so every year I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers