Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 09:13 AM

3 posts, read 3,430 times

Advertisements

Out of Walmart, Tyson and JB Hunt which one is overall the best place to work. When I say best place to work I am referring to work/life balance, pay, bonuses, medical insurance, working environment and etc.

I relaize everyone has a different opinion and there will be more negative than positive as is typical and I realize no one has probably worked at all 3 but just in general. I looked at the reviews of each place on glassdoor and my god, reading those reviews you would think these 3 places are the absolute worst places to work at in America, LOL. But I know to take all reviews with a grain of salt that is why I am asking here.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 11:25 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,000 times
I have friends that work at all three companies. Perhaps it is the "quality" of folks I hang with, but all seem to love their jobs and their companies. Things to consider--age of employee, length of time at job. The people I know are between the ages of 35-50 and have worked at these companies for 10-20 years.

Walmart-long hours including at least one Saturday a month; Stock options, while the stock has languished the past couple of years, it has made many, many people quite wealthy (folks who were not born with a silver spoon in their mouths or a trust fund but know how to be committed to a company and get the job their all).

Tyson-There are many "parts" to this company--processing plants, trucking, corporate, etc. Salaried employees are treated well i.e. get the company a good day's work and some one higher will and does take notice; Vacation- I believe once you've been with the company 10 years you get 3 weeks; less than 10 years it's a max of 2 weeks. There are a few paid days off.
Stock-What a rollercoaster! Just when I think this stock is about to explode, along comes an increase in the production of ethanol, or some other "diaster" which causes the grain market to go up. There are bonuses periodically. Not as much and as frequent when the company was a privately owned company.

JB Hunt-I know the fewest folks here. Corporate is smaller than Wmt or Tyson. This probably explains why I don't know more employees It appears those that have worked their way through the ranks are rewarded--with stock, bonuses, etc.

For someone fresh out of college, working for any of these three may shock the system. Let's face, there is at least one generation who wants everything to come to them NOW (btw, I've got one in that generation)! I say, set yourself apart. Give your employer more than they expect, and you should do great.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I pretty much share Great Escape's view: I don't think anyone can honestly say, which is the best, they all offer something different and all offer good benefits. Wal-Mart does have a reputation of working thier mangagement pretty hard without a lot of flexibility, but they keep their employees for many years, so it must be a good company and those we know, both young and older enjoy the work eviornment there. Tyson's is just a good company period: I don't know much about Hunt.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:39 AM

Thank you both!

Yes, I realize that all 3 are going to be great for most people. Actually, I can vouch for Walmart in that I have a neighbor and they are a nice young family. He received his first career job with Walmart after graduating college and he loves it there (they are in there 20's).

Like I said, if you go over and read the glassdoor reviews they all sound just awful. I know that is only a small percentage of people that even post a review and that they may be disgruntled but its human nature not to ignore those posts, lol

Thanks again!

Old 09-25-2012, 08:18 AM

I think we all need to remember, it is easier to post negatives: we all expect things to go well, so we forget to praise, but when things do not go our way we want the world to know. In today's world of corporate live, nothing is the way it used to be: people are not as loyal to the company and the company isn't as loyal to their employees, plus we live in a Me generation. Some people find it hard to realize nothing is free.

As for Wal Mart, there is a natural love/hate for the entire company and the family. So many people really resent the success and blame Wal mart for putting the little guy out of business, instead of understanding we don't live in the 1950s anymore. The same resentment is often felt for Tyson's because so many people seem to think they only hire illegals at less than min wage. Where this came from I have no idea. Add to this, there is a overall view of AR that is not true: people often think we are nothing but a bunch of hillbillies who marry their cousins, so to see some of the largest and best corporations headquartered here is hard to understand. Just this last weekend, while in NO Ca I got asked, by a guest at the hotel we were staying in, about my HOGS T'shirt. I explained it to her. She was from NY and attending a wedding in NO Ca. She knew about the HOGS but was cuious about AR period and asked me outright: why would you want to live in AR? Boy was she surprised when my daughter, who also lives here, informed her, there are a lot of people from CA living here and some from NY. Again, she said, but why?

Nita

Old 09-25-2012, 09:53 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,000 times
Hey, Nita- You forgot the part about all us hillbillies not wearing shoes

It truly is interesting what other parts of the country think of AR. It is rare that someone says, "oh yeah, Arkansas--where the governor called out the National Guard to prevent integration." You'd think that would be at the top of most folks list--not whether we wear shoes or have outhouses.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGreatEscape View Post
Hey, Nita- You forgot the part about all us hillbillies not wearing shoes

It truly is interesting what other parts of the country think of AR. It is rare that someone says, "oh yeah, Arkansas--where the governor called out the National Guard to prevent integration." You'd think that would be at the top of most folks list--not whether we wear shoes or have outhouses.
How about our fridge sitting on the front porch and the cars up on tires 6 ft high, in our front yards and of course we still use outhouses... It is like when we lived in NM and a few people asked why we wanted to live in another country?

Old 09-27-2012, 07:04 AM

....wait, I can hear it now. Do you hear it, a faint but slightly getting louder ...banjo! LOL, I have no idea where those stereotypes came from. My guess is post-depression era because prior to the depression all rural people in the US lived in small cabins/homes without running water or electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers