Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:31 PM

88 posts, read 228,817 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

We may be relocating to the area from Chicago and I am feeling like Fayetteville, specifically Wilson Park or near Dickson (hoping I got those areas right, kind of the more urban area?) is where ideally we'd live. But we'd be coming for the sole reason of my husband's job, which would be in Bentonville, so I am not sure the commute is worth it. If he had to work in Bentonville 7:30am-5:30 pm, realistically how long would his commute be with traffic? Keep in mind we're from Chicago so we're quite used to traffic, but also we have public transport options and driving every day might get old.

Thank you! I know you have all mentioned bad traffic, but I am just wondering what that means in terms of minutes.

I have been reading this forum and think you have all helped to calm my fears about moving to a place so different from what we have. (I am originally from the NYC area so AR seems like another world to me!) I am actually kind of hoping the relocating comes through!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 03:13 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
It depends on where in Fayetteville and where in Bentonville. I would think that generally you'd be talking about a 35-minute drive each day, but if there's an accident on I-540, then it would take longer.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:04 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,361,877 times
I think you might like the drivers around here a little better than NYC/Chicago. I am always scared to death at the way people drive in bigger cities. Things work a little slower down here.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:20 PM

77 posts, read 238,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
I think you might like the drivers around here a little better than NYC/Chicago. I am always scared to death at the way people drive in bigger cities. Things work a little slower down here.
Not my observation, seems like no one here ever had to take drivers ed and they just give away a drivers license. On top of that the speed limits here are quite insane, and the entitlement of drivers is ridiculous.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:17 PM

88 posts, read 228,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It depends on where in Fayetteville and where in Bentonville. I would think that generally you'd be talking about a 35-minute drive each day, but if there's an accident on I-540, then it would take longer.
Wilson Park or Dickson. Does that make a difference? His job would be at that Evil Empire in Bentonville, starts with a W, I can't remember the name . . .

35 minutes seems pretty doable but I wouldn't be the one driving so maybe not. There isn't a section of Bentonville or Rogers that would be as urban as Wilson Park, right?

Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallbaro View Post
Not my observation, seems like no one here ever had to take drivers ed and they just give away a drivers license. On top of that the speed limits here are quite insane, and the entitlement of drivers is ridiculous.
you haven't driven many places if you complain about drivers in NWA...Have you driven in Texas, NO Va, California for starters?

Nita

Old 11-10-2009, 07:46 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,361,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy1971 View Post
Wilson Park or Dickson. Does that make a difference? His job would be at that Evil Empire in Bentonville, starts with a W, I can't remember the name . . .

35 minutes seems pretty doable but I wouldn't be the one driving so maybe not. There isn't a section of Bentonville or Rogers that would be as urban as Wilson Park, right?
I don't think there is any area in NWA that I would really consider "urban." There might be some more heavily populated suburban areas though.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 PM

529 posts, read 1,651,820 times
It will be about a 35 minute drive on average. His morning commute won't be a problem at all. However the afternoon commute can take longer. Much longer when there is an accident on I540 (there was one yesterday). With an accident the commute can easily double that time. The main problem with NWA is that I540 is the only freeway connecting the cities. So when the road is blocked by an accident there are really no other options.

Also, there is nothing urban in NWA. Fayetteville is the closest to urban but it is far from the definition of urban. Wilson Park is just an older established neighborhood with close proximity to the university and Dickson Street. Dickson Street is just a street with the Walton Arts, a bunch of bars, and restaurants. It's basically the only place in NWA where you don't necessarily have to take a car everywhere. I'm not saying this to discredit Fayetteville. Just realize that it will be more like living in Naperville except you don't have Chicago nearby.

If going out on the town all the time isn't that big a deal to you then you might as well check out Bentonville. The downtown area of Bentonville is actually fairly nice and once the Crystal Bridges Museum opens it will only get nicer. Homes are cheaper there also.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:28 AM

602 posts, read 1,517,014 times
Traffic in NWA is nothing like traffic in the Chicago area. Having said that, your husband will most likely have bumper to bumper traffic (but it's moving) from Fay to "vendor-ville".

What's different? 540 is the only highway (as some one else commented) and it's only two lanes on each side. Unlike the Chicago highways, I've traveled recently which were three and sometimes four on each side.

There are many people who commute from the Fayetteville area everyday. If his schedule is flexible he can reduce his commute time e.g. go in at 6:30 am instead of 7:30 am.

The Wilson Park area is a great place to live (I know of one great house that's still on the market ). Living in W.P. area, you can easily walk to Dickson St. nights and weekends--almost like being in Chicago!

Old 11-11-2009, 06:52 AM

77 posts, read 238,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you haven't driven many places if you complain about drivers in NWA...Have you driven in Texas, NO Va, California for starters?

Nita
I have driven in many cities in the country. NYC, DC, Boston, Chicago, Orlando, LA, Phoenix, SF, and the drivers in Arkansas are pretty terrible, especially when you throw a different mode of transport, pedestrian, cycling, into the mix.

And the amount of crashes on the I540 bridges, I had always thought it was common sense that bridges freeze, but does that stop anyone from doing the speed minimum of 70+? Are teenagers allowed to drive here? How many points until a license is revoked? Its ridiculously high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers