Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:03 PM

251 posts, read 339,276 times

Advertisements

I am randomly browsing city data daydreaming about where to move next. I stumbled upon the AR forum and started googling. Is it me or is the weather in NW Arkansas pretty awesome?
- 4 seasons
- good variety but few extremes
- low risk of tornadoes due to elevation
- decent amount of sunshine

what's the catch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 10:53 PM

733 posts, read 1,748,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
I am randomly browsing city data daydreaming about where to move next. I stumbled upon the AR forum and started googling. Is it me or is the weather in NW Arkansas pretty awesome?
- 4 seasons

what's the catch?
It's not so much the elevation that causes the lack of tornadoes. It's more so the hills and valleys. West of I-540 is still flat enough to where tornadoes can still occur more often. As for the weather, it's pretty great. I moved from Kansas last year which ain't much different, but at first I was bummed out because I was told it doesn't snow much, but so far since I've been here, I've seen a fair share of snow. The Fall colors are great with the hills and valleys. It does get humid, but that's just a thing of the South.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:25 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
- 4 seasons

what's the catch?
No catch, probably NWA is the best kept secret in the country or close. Yes, the summers can be pretty humid, but they are nothing like further south, partly because our temps don't get as high as a rule. We do have horrible and hot summers from time to time, but not often. What we noticed, after living in Texas for 13 years, the summers here are so much shorter. We rarely have our air on before early or mid June and it goes off in Sept. The same with our cold winters, yes, this has been a unbelievable winter but generally we get enough cold weather and snow to keep us happy, but not enough for us to feel like shut ins all winter. Our spring and fall colors are fantastic.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:51 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,688,824 times
The only real downside I can think of is the occasional ice storm. But if you just prepare, then you can just look at it as a little resting time, because you won't be going anywhere until it melts.

And the humidity may be high in the summer, but let me tell you, until you've been in Louisiana in the summertime, you don't know what humid is! We used to laugh at the people who, when we were at the cabin in NWA, complained about the humidity.

The gnats come in the summer time....that can be awfully annoying. Our cabin neighbor had a mesh thingy she wore to work out in the yard.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:00 PM

1,349 posts, read 2,108,458 times
Four seasons. There is definitely humidity, but not like you'd find in the true Deep South. Its a good climate. It can get windy from time to time, especially up on the tops of the hills. On the other hand, breezes are good respite in the summertime heat. I think we have a good climate

Old 03-30-2014, 07:24 PM

19 posts, read 52,495 times
Heat and humidity - There are definitely worse places out there. Besides, sweating is supposed to be good for you. Helps you release toxins that have built up in your body...or something like that. Right now I have my air conditioner shut off and my windows open, trying to get some fresh air in. I'm a little sweaty, but otherwise comfortable. Plus, I'm saving some money on energy bills!

Tornadoes - I'm glad to see that no one has told you that you'll be safe from tornadoes just because you live in the Ozarks. I've seen this quite a few times while browsing around this forum. What a stupid thing to say. Tornadoes have hit every area of Arkansas, and have no problems moving through the smooth, domed hills and flat plateaus that make up a majority of the Ozarks. A tornado hit Alexander 17 years ago. l was only four years old. I really don't remember much, as I was out of the house at the time. It did do some damage though. It picked up my grandma's double wide trailer and completely slung it around while she was inside. Somehow, she managed to survive. And it causes a tree to fall over and crash into the side of my house. Even if tornadoes in an area are rare, everyone should still learn the signs of a possible tornado upcoming, and make sure that they always have a safe place to go.

Floods - You know what they say, 'April showers bring May flowers'. Just the day before me and my step-dad were driving along the freeway when all of a sudden it started to pour. It was raining so hard that I could barely see the cars in front of me. Fortunatly, my step-dad was driving. If I was behind the wheel then I would have just pulled over under a bridge, cause their is no way that I could drive safely in those conditions. This most affects those that live by a body of water, of course. My neighbor has a cabin up on Greers Ferry and has some stories to tell about the lake flooding.

Snow and ice - Winter weather has been a big problem, both this year and last year, due to the fact that we aren't equipped to handle it. Little Rock and the surrounding areas saw a huge blizzard during the 12-13 winter which put a lot of people out of power, including me and everyone around me. We were out of power for 5 days. This winter has also been pretty bad, and there has been some ruckus over how well Missouri has been able to clear the roads of ice and snow versus Arkansas.

All I can say is that wherever you go you are going to run into wacky weather.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:51 PM

1,349 posts, read 2,108,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Child View Post

Tornadoes - I'm glad to see that no one has told you that you'll be safe from tornadoes just because you live in the Ozarks.

Tornadoes of some type can hit literally almost anywhere in the U.S. What people say about the Fayetteville area is that we won't see tornadoes like the HUGE ones that hit the Oklahoma City area or Joplin, because those are the types that form on plains and pick up lots of energy as they go.

Smaller, spin-up tornadoes are more likely, although I think the last recorded tornado hitting Fayetteville was a small one like that in the early 1900s. That's a pretty good record. There's an effect on the weather pattern here because of the quick uplift of the terrain. It doesn't just impact severe weather. It can also cause shallow cold air masses to stall out to the west, which might be why Tulsa gets more snow than we do.

It is something that the local meteorologists talk about, and since they are weather scientists, I tend to believe them.

They don't say we are immune to tornadoes, but just that the likelihood of a massive storm tracking into Fayetteville intact is lowered because of the sudden uplift of the Ozark Plateau.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:54 AM

I wasn't living here, but a tornado apparently hit Centerton in 2006. Anyone remember this??

Old 04-01-2014, 05:35 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
I wasn't living here, but a tornado apparently hit Centerton in 2006. Anyone remember this??
We moved here in 2008 but our granddauther was attending U of A in 2006. I am sure, had it been much of one she would have let us know.

It is important for all of to remember, anything can happen, anywhere and sure, tornados are not unheard of here. We were no all that far from the Joplin hit 2 years ago this month. but the likelihood is not very likely. The same with flooding, we do have it, (rarely) but yes, it does occur in the spring and occasionally other times, but again, it isn't something we sit around worrying about or expecting to happen.

Nita

Old 04-02-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The same with flooding, we do have it, (rarely) but yes, it does occur in the spring and occasionally other times, but again, it isn't something we sit around worrying about or expecting to happen.

Nita
That flooding last year was crazy! It's disappointing too because it shut down the nature trail in Bella Vista and it's still shut down to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers