Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:10 PM

21 posts, read 46,711 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

What would be the best place to live for a recent college grad who has a new job in Lowell? I've been told that Fayetteville might have the most young professionals, but the grad would like to avoid a building with students in it and I'm wondering if that's even possible. Also, he doesn't want to live more than a half hour from work - is Fayetteville pushing it if the job is in Lowell?

Also what kind of monthly budget would one need to live in a one bedroom apartment in a nice building?

P.S. This grad is moving from the Northeast US so this will be a big change for him.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,794,902 times
Ranch at Pinnacle Point Apartment Rentals

Being from the area, Lowell is rather small. Fayetteville will be too far away for you, or rather morning traffic is a pain on 540.. The link above will be ideal for you. What kind of job are you going to have in Lowell anyway?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:32 AM

Hi and thanks for the link! It's not for me but for my son - he is graduating college and will be working for a large company (business job). They offer relocation and will hook him up with a realtor, but I thought it might be good to know at least what area he should be concentrating on.

I've just heard that maybe there are other areas (rather than Fayetteville) that are closer to Lowell (Rogers was mentioned) that may be good for young professionals and still have some nightlife. He isn't really into museums and is not artsy at all, but loves sports (e.g., college basketball) and of course at his age, nightlife is important too.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:09 AM

1,349 posts, read 2,111,346 times
The best nightlife and access to sports is definitely in Fayetteville. It can be tricky to find a place that rents that isn't heavy on college students. Fayetteville to Lowell isn't going to be more than 20 minutes, even with traffic most days.

Rogers and Bentonville are growing faster than Fayetteville and there are lots of new things happening there. They also just recently opened up those areas for bars and real nightlife. Previously the county had been officially "dry" but restaurants served drinks.

If you are looking in Fayettevile, I would recommend something like the Links on Wedington or Mountain Ranch. There are lots of college aged people there, but also some young professionals. Those two apt complexes are pretty new, nice and have quick access to the freeway which would be good for a commuter working in Lowell. The area of town is new and there are a few good local restaurants, sports bars, etc in the immediate area. Its also convenient to the university area, and the downtown Fayetteville area, which is the region's primary nightlife destination.

The Reserve at Steele Crossing might also be a good choice in Fayetteville. It is on the north edge of the city in a new area of town, within walking distance of a few sports bars, restaurants, and not a bad commute to Lowell, and also somewhat convenient for going out in Fayetteville (cab riding distance, etc).

Springdale really has no appeal to a young professional, IMO. Lowell is a small town sandwiched between larger towns. Rogers would be a good choice if you can find a place that meets your criteria. Bentonville could even work, especially something in the downtown area, and commuting against the flow in the mornings.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,735,191 times
If I worked in Lowell, I'd want to live in Lowell. Since the commute to the other cities in Northwest Arkansas is so short from Lowell, in any direction, a young professional can just hop on I-49 to catch a Naturals game, or to catch a concert at the AMP, plus it's easier to get to Beaver Lake from Lowell than Fayetteville.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
The best nightlife and access to sports is definitely in Fayetteville.

Springdale really has no appeal to a young professional, IMO. Lowell is a small town sandwiched between larger towns. Rogers would be a good choice if you can find a place that meets your criteria. Bentonville could even work, especially something in the downtown area, and commuting against the flow in the mornings.
Christ on a crutch! Lowell is sandwiched in between Springdale and Rogers. Springdale is a hub for Fayetteville, Lowell and Rogers. Twenty minutes at 8:00 a.m. or 5:00 pm on I-540 from Fayetteville to Lowell is not happening. Your further discount to professionals in Springdale only shows that you don't seem to realize people use and live in Springdale as a hub to other towns. Also Springdale tax on real estate is a lot lower.

His ideal location would be Pinnacle Point and I am from Lowell, Rogers area. Fayetteville is not the only thing happening in NWA although you would like to think so.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:49 PM

1,349 posts, read 2,111,346 times
Quote:
Christ on a crutch!
Settle down and try not to take everything so personally. No, I wouldn't "like to think" anything, and I'm not going to be offended by someone offering up suggestions of the benefits of living in their own respective cities. Feel free to do that.

Springdale is a big town between Fayetteville and Rogers/Lowell. Are you really suggesting that it fits the criteria for "young professionals" who want to go out and do things? Ok. But I'm thinking it would always require drinking and driving. Always driving, regardless.

She specifically mentioned night life and college sports. Those are two things that Fayetteville offers that the other cities really don't. Rogers has some restaurants and a handful of bars/clubs, but nothing like Fayetteville does. When I suggest Fayetteville based on that criteria, I am factoring in things like being able to go out, have a drink or four, and reliably take a cab home afterwards. Fayetteville is the only place that makes sense.

And 20 minutes to Lowell from Fayetteville is easy on I-540/49 any time of day barring an accident or major road construction.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Settle down and try not to take everything so personally. No, I wouldn't "like to think" anything, and I'm not going to be offended by someone offering up suggestions of the benefits of living in their own respective cities. Feel free to do that.

Springdale is a big town between Fayetteville and Rogers/Lowell. Are you really suggesting that it fits the criteria for "young professionals" who want to go out and do things? Ok. But I'm thinking it would always require drinking and driving. Always driving, regardless.

She specifically mentioned night life and college sports. Those are two things that Fayetteville offers that the other cities really don't. Rogers has some restaurants and a handful of bars/clubs, but nothing like Fayetteville does. When I suggest Fayetteville based on that criteria, I am factoring in things like being able to go out, have a drink or four, and reliably take a cab home afterwards. Fayetteville is the only place that makes sense.

And 20 minutes to Lowell from Fayetteville is easy on I-540/49 any time of day barring an accident or major road construction.
I didn't take it personal. I still think his better bet is at Pinnacle Point. Of course, he can figure that out. Bentonville is also promoting the downtown area as in one doesn't have to own a car also to get around. Walk or bicycle to work or whatever.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:37 PM

Thanks for all of this input. It turns out that a couple of places in both Fayetteville and Rogers have agreements with his company which discount some things and allow for early lease terminations. I think Fayetteville may be more appealing to him as a "just graduated" person but when we go to look we will look at both towns, or even other towns.

Related question - how does one furnish an apartment cheaply? (I assume most of these don't come furnished.)

Thanks!!

Old 04-23-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eden510 View Post
Thanks for all of this input. It turns out that a couple of places in both Fayetteville and Rogers have agreements with his company which discount some things and allow for early lease terminations. I think Fayetteville may be more appealing to him as a "just graduated" person but when we go to look we will look at both towns, or even other towns.

Related question - how does one furnish an apartment cheaply? (I assume most of these don't come furnished.)

Thanks!!
Rockclimber will tell you how to do that! Several places. Hanks Fine Furniture, Sam's, Wal-mart.com, Ashley, Basset, JC Penny, Sears, Furniture Row in Fayetteville, Brashears.. Denver Mattress..etc

Edit: Lazy Boy, Furniture Factory Outlet, Tuckers, Kurt's Furniture

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 04-23-2014 at 06:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers