Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 12:35 PM

5 posts, read 6,636 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom with a 15 year old son wanting to relocate to the Fayetteville, AR area. I know the area somewhat because I lived in Joplin before the tornado hit and had visited there many years ago. I have always liked the Midwest and the people. Unfortunately, the jobs I would be applying for do not hire prior to arrival, so I would be looking for work upon arrival. I currently live in Fayetteville, NC and do not like it much. My move would be solely a leap of faith. I'm 53, (healthy and active) and don't want to be stuck here in my formative years. I would appreciate some insight if anyone is willing. How is the job market? Are rentals reasonable? Are the schools good?...etc. Thank you.

Last edited by Destiny777; 04-23-2014 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny777 View Post
I am a single mom with a 15 year old son wanting to relocate to the Fayetteville area. I know the area somewhat because I lived in Joplin before the tornado hit and had visited there many years ago. I have always liked the Midwest and the people. Unfortunately, the blue collar jobs I would be seeking do not hire prior to arrival so I would be looking for work upon arrival. I currently live in Fayetteville, NC (wrong Fay as far as I'm concerned) and my move would be solely a leap of faith. I'm 53, (healthy and active) and don't want to be stuck here in my formative years. I would appreciate some insight if anyone is willing. How is the job market? Are rentals reasonable? Are the schools good?...etc. Thank you.
I would suggest to take the leap of faith. I have been a long time resident of NWA and only have moved out of state a couple of times. I think this area is nice and unemployment is not that high. Rents are not outrageous and schools are multiplying as we speak. That is not much help but this area has more things to do for younger people as well as middle aged people. Sports are always emphasized. There is the lake, gyms, rural routes for motorcycles, bike routes, public pools, parks, Eureka Springs/Branson for a getaway, ( beautiful scenery) Fayetteville always has some interesting things going on. It's just a laid-back area. It's pretty much what you want to do with it and how you want to make it work for your situation, I think.

Also, it's just a jog to Missouri or 2 hours to Tulsa.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:34 PM

I appreciate the word. What sense do you have of the job market there? I had always thought it was pretty good.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the word. What sense do you have of the job market there? I had always thought it was pretty good.

It is. You can find jobs here. There is always something new coming here and then, there is an endless supply of restaurants, older plants, Wal-mart, Sam's, Lowe's/ Home Depot, Wal-mart vendors.. and a million other places. It maybe where you have to grab something for three months and look around to get the feel of the area. I have a realtor coming over Sat because I am wanting to get back to the Lowell area. I am kind of excited and really hope it works. I really think it will as I have always had an attraction to the place listed in Lowell an nobody else wants it. Fingers crossed. Lowell is just for the location. My house is ideal but just not for what I do.. which is run from Fayetteville to Bella Vista- all the time- every day. ( I am tired of the commute)

Old 04-23-2014, 01:47 PM

Thank you for your insights. You have been extremely helpful.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:48 PM

I wish you well with that and hope it works out for you.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your insights. You have been extremely helpful.
You're welcome. It wasn't much help, but you know, it really is low key here.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:56 PM

291 posts, read 377,879 times
I personally would have a hard time moving without either serious job prospects or savings to cushion me for a while, however the job market here is much, much better than than most places. So if you want to make the leap, it's one of the better places to leap. I've had many friends move here recently from out of state because they could not find jobs where they were and they found themselves having several to choose from here. I don't know what job field you are hoping for exatly but there is most likely somehting you can do until you find your perfect fit.

Rentals are plentiful. You can do a 2 bedroom apartment from 575$ish & up or single homes from about $750-800 & up depending on what you are looking for.

Fayetteville High School is one of the best in the state. Northwest Arkansas Schools in general are some of the best in the state. My son is a student there & it has been a positive experience.

I grew up here & moved to NC (Coastal NC). Then I moved back here due to husband's job. I am the opposite- I MUCH prefer NC to here but I totally respect you for moving to a place where you feel a sense of belonging. Life is too short not to.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
The job market is better than many places in the nation and the schools: Fayetteville, Rogers, Bentonville, Pea Ridge have all been rated high national in the last reports which came out just this week, especially the high school level. The question is: what type of work will you be looking for?

You will find a good mixture of ages and ethnics in the Fayetteville area. In fact throughout NWA there is a good mixture of people.

I will advise you, don't make the move without enough money to sustain you for a few months at least. As good as the job market is, it might take a few months to find exactly what you want, unless you are taking retail or the food industry. I see signs for wait people and salespeople everywhere I go anymore.

Nita

Old 04-25-2014, 05:49 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,168 times
While you know your child best, I personally would never consider a "leap of faith" move with a teen in tow. I do not recommend moving anywhere without some prospects of employment (my adult daughter tried to pull that on me last year--wanting to move across country without a job, place to live, etc).

Get on Indeed.com or Monster.com. See what jobs are being posted.

Unless your child is hating the area you live now, please reconsider a move before s/he graduates from high school. The high schools in NWA are all good. But by not having attended a junior high here, your student may find it difficult making friends. Most of the HS are now "mega schools"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers