Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 05:12 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalgirl36 View Post
Hey - I'm being honest in order to solicit advice on where I'd best fit in. I'm a foodie who like good wine, running, yoga, good schools, nice families from all walks of life, living in a nice (custom) community, and a beautiful town/downtown area. We've worked awfully hard in order to be where we are, and like any good conservatives, we enjoy the fruits of our labor and choose to live as good a life as we can while being as responsible as possible.

I'll be sure to report back to you what my assessment was of the area next week. Unfortunately, I won't have the benefit of seeing it in all four seasons prior to decision time - a job offer is usually not good for 12 months. I probably am pretty privileged - I never had to live in the ghetto because of my hard working parents who instilled a similar work ethic. I am VERY cautious about the move, because I know me, and for me, camping is a hotel without room service (I kid! I kid!) Anyway, truly, we are a really nice average American family looking for a great place to raise our family, whether West Coast or South. Though I'd prefer West Coast in a heartbeat based on the fact that it is all I know - even though it is run by a bunch of lunatics who are driving our taxed to the limit selves out of the state. As my husband so adequately put it this morning when I told him someone called me a privileged rich girl, he laughed and said, hey it's like the Hunger Games. People from the Capital don't leave the capital. He is a funny guy. He has been to Bentonville probably a dozen times now, is also from Blackhawk proper. If HE thinks it would be great, I trust him. He also said, he you ever SEEN places in California like Bakersfield and Turlock and Porterville? You just don't go there. I kind of want to move there with my fancy cars out of spite just to **** you all off (I really need someone to invent a sarcasm font in case you couldn't detect it)
You do strike me as privileged, but you aren't "disconnected" from the rest of the world entirely, even if you think a $700K house is what normal people live in, roflmao!

Anyway, no, there is going to be enough nice things to keep you satisfied in that area. As well off as you are, there are people there who probably have bonuses as large as your income, no offense, and Wal-Mart has to keep them happy, so there are some really nice things. My only concern was...is the Bubble BIG ENOUGH for you? I'd say so, based on what you've began explaining later in your posts. That area is likely one of the most socially progressive areas in the South, other than Austin. However, the politics are very conservative. The Benton County Sheriff office was on my list of places to visit, and I was very pleased.

It seems very live/let live, and for the most part, I found the area to be colorblind. It was a very nice change from the racism I have in my town, now. Sadly, people where I live now do all that they can to fit their race-based stereotypes. In NWA, people all more or less act the same from what I saw. It was nice and refreshing to be in mixed company without anyone ACTING like that. That was one of the huge selling points I did not expect of the area.

Yes, I am sure you will find yoga, and some decent enough food.

Anyway, other than class 3 weapons and whatnot, what are your "fancy cars"? I'm kindof low-budget myself, but here was my graduation present (from me, to myself, 8 months post):

(before anyone attacks me, yeah, I did actually grow up in a government funded ghetto at one point in life for a few years. My adulthood has been about remedying this situation and enjoying life on my own terms.)
This thread needs more picture! Post something up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 05:54 PM

120 posts, read 215,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
-Visit Beaver Lake
-Check out Cabelas (they sell AR15's over the counter. You Cali folk should get all giddy!)
-Check out AG Russel knives
-Check out Crystal Bridges Museum
-Go to the auto dealership you would have your car serviced at
-Go to the bank you would frequent
-Do all of those "mundane things" you would do on a normal day, or at least go through the motions, and see if the quality of interaction/product meets spec for you. Lots of people fail to do this, and it can be annoying when they discover that they are not getting the product/service they are used to in their day-to-day life because all they did when they scouted was see "vacation life".
Brilliant!

Old 05-29-2014, 06:30 PM

120 posts, read 215,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post

Anyway, other than class 3 weapons and whatnot, what are your "fancy cars"? I'm kindof low-budget myself, but here was my graduation present (from me, to myself, 8 months post):

(before anyone attacks me, yeah, I did actually grow up in a government funded ghetto at one point in life for a few years. My adulthood has been about remedying this situation and enjoying life on my own terms.)
This thread needs more picture! Post something up!
Definitely cannot post pics of our cars - will get laughed off this thread and reinforce your opinions of me. And btw - NEVER justify how you've spent the money you've earned. Even if you had grown up in Bel Air, if you worked hard for the money you later earned yourself, you deserve to spend every penny of it how you see fit without anyone, esp the govt, feeling entitled to a piece or that "at a certain point, you've made enough money"

Cool car!!! My husband has an AMG, his reward to himself for his accomplishments, and I have an SUV. We do also have a presently non-running classic car though. 56 Chevy Bel Air. Once we have the funds to do so, we will fix her up and cruise the girls around in it!!! That was my husband's car in high school

Old 05-29-2014, 06:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I really do not think Garfield would be a good fit for you or your family, It is a nice, small town, but I am guessing a little to rural, Your will not get a feeling of diversity at all. As for areas within walking distance to the Bentonville square, there are some awesome older homes but whether they would meet your requirements only you will be able to judge that. I still think the area off exit 93 would be the best fit, from what you are telling us. Of course the realtor you are dealing with will be better able to match you with the area that comes closest to fitting your requirements. As for renting, if you do go that route, remember, you are talking about a year's lease.. and finding a desirable rental can be very difficult, as rentals are not always top quality. Regardless, keep us posted. Too bad you wont have time to see some or the wonderful sights here in NWA but you will have time after you get situated.

I am glad you will have an extra day, but I don't think that is going to give you time to do much sight seeing or checking out banks, etc. I would suggest, time permitting: Chrystal Bridges should be at the top of the list, followed by Pea Ridge and if you are going to be here on Sat, make sure you visit the Farmers market on the square in Bentonville or the one in Fayetteville. You may also want to drive by the schools your girls would be attending, depending on where you end up. You mention Centerville, there are some wonderful country type homes on an acre or more in Centerton, but you are not as apt to get the trees and hills you get in Bentonville.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:58 PM

Agreed. Garfield has no yuppibubble.

Go on and post that AMG. Is it the gullwing? I want to see it. Some of my friends live off of interest and own businesses for fun, so I don't judge. I just play rough

Old 05-30-2014, 06:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
oh, and one more thing: even after 6 years, one of our favorite pastimes and this you can do, while exploring, house hunting, whatever is: just watching all the birds. We never get tired of this. There are so many and so many vivid colors.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh, and one more thing: even after 6 years, one of our favorite pastimes and this you can do, while exploring, house hunting, whatever is: just watching all the birds. We never get tired of this. There are so many and so many vivid colors.
I have lots of birds of prey on my land and loved seeing them while camping and hiking on it.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Lost Bridge Village? I found that near Beaver Lake, and many homes look beautiful, but very pricey.

What is Garfield like???
2 convenience stores (if the Buss Stop fixed its roof and is up and running again), and an elementary school.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I'm spending a day checking out Pinnacle Country Club and Rogers area. It is beautiful. Nothing Mc about those mansions. Are the schools in Rogers substantially less quality than in B-ville? Many questions will be answered when we arrive as we are doing a real estate tour as well.
The schools in Rogers are quite comparable/competitive with Bentonville. And because the two quite literally morph into one another, there is spillover school-wise.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:41 AM

If you're interested in living on Beaver Lake, given what you've told us, I'd look at Paramount Estates. That's just a five-minute drive to Rogers downtown, you're directly on the lake, the houses are in the size/price range you've specified, and some of the houses are simply spectacular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers