Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 01:57 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There are some decent Indian restaurants I have heard, but I am not a lover of Indian food. Also there are more Asians moving here. And some decent Asian restaurants. Maybe not authentic, but what do most of us know about truly Authentic Asian?
Sure there are Asians here. I just took that for common sense, is why I didn't say anything. We have flights to China on a daily basis with Wal-mart. Wal-mart has so many places all over the country that I am not implying that all Asians are Chinese either.

Like I said, in earlier post.. I just think everyone is from here, so I forget. We do have the farmers, and we have the country, but that is not the only thing we have.

We even have people here from Brazil and Israel ( it might not exactly be Israel, but it's in the general vicinity)

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 06-28-2014 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 01:03 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
There are some decent Indian restaurants I have heard, but I am not a lover of Indian food. Also there are more Asians moving here. And some decent Asian restaurants. Maybe not authentic, but what do most of us know about truly Authentic Asian?
Good. I like variety. I lived for 4 years in mcallen, texas. I know about legitimate food the world over. My school alone had people from dozens of countries and had food fairs etc.

My only concerns about non homogeneous populations are:

1--social stigma or stereotyping or any sort of double standards of behavior.
2--I do not speak a foreign language nor do I intend to learn one or feel obligated to. Any time it inconveniences me is an annoyance.* this applies to how I feel about myself in other countries. I do not expect to be catered to in my own language. Their house. Their rules. Same for establishments.

Last edited by JWG223; 06-29-2014 at 01:13 AM..

Old 06-29-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalgirl36 View Post
Well since this thread has broadened to the topic of diversity, I am hoping someone can reassure me that the large Hispanic population might mean really good Mexican food? I'm talking authentic Mexican, not Tex-Mex One thing I'm sad to give up in CA is awesome, taqueria-style Mexican food. And update: we are at 99% chance of moving. Will need to do more research into schools ASAP. Probably headed out in a few weeks for house-hunting. How's the weather lately? Does the humidity top out July/Aug? We are estimating an early August move-date so as to be prepared for the start of school.
You can't get Mexican food anywhere from a chain. You need to go to a family business. They may honestly not speak english. This is indeed Mexican food. Yes. You are obligated to order in Spanish at their establishment, imo. I do not speak English to anyone who first addresses me in another language in their establishment, and luckily know enough to order in Spanish most things. Just my .02 from living 8 miles from Mexico for almost half a decade.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:21 AM

Quote:
ok, to be honest, if you work with the patients you may have occasions when it will be necessary to have someone help you with the language barrier. Again, it depends on where you are working and exactly what you do. Don't let this bother you too much; there is always someone to help if the situation is such there is a need for translating. Actually our granddaughter is getting used to it, picking up more Spanish all the time, but she did have frustrations in the beginning.
I've had Spanish only patients before. Rare. Very. I got along well enough, but it was tedious.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Sure there are Asians here. I just took that for common sense, is why I didn't say anything. We have flights to China on a daily basis with Wal-mart. Wal-mart has so many places all over the country that I am not implying that all Asians are Chinese either.

Like I said, in earlier post.. I just think everyone is from here, so I forget. We do have the farmers, and we have the country, but that is not the only thing we have.

We even have people here from Brazil and Israel ( it might not exactly be Israel, but it's in the general vicinity)
You and I are among those who realize NWA is very culturally diverse. Most people think it is just a bunch of hillbillies; btw, hillbillies are fine and wonderful people to live near. I realize it the most when I go to Sam's. It is like walking into a United Nations meeting. This is one of the things I think I like the msot about living here; it is such a mixture of rural and urban. Of course I love the beauty and the wildlife as well.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I've had Spanish only patients before. Rare. Very. I got along well enough, but it was tedious.
You will be fine; maybe frustrated from time to time, but I am sure you can handle it.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:57 PM

120 posts, read 215,319 times
ALRIGHT! He accepted the offer Friday, we are moving!!!! Coming out Saturday to house hunt and write an offer. VERY encouraged by the home that under $600 can buy, so I am not looking any higher than that. In fact, the lower, the better. My 12-year old is very upset to move, but I show her all the videos everyone posts, and she sits and stares at the computer (better than stomping away, yelling, NO! I'M NOT MOVING, I LIKE IT HERE!
Anyway, I AM SO EXCITED and so happy for everyone's advice to this spoiled California girl, lol. A little nervous for humidity and snow, but also excited. And Nita, we are coming with a pre-approval hoping to write an offer this weekend. I still really would like to stay in Bentonville, but I feel like I should at LEAST check out Fayetteville and Rogers to rule them out. I just don't want to be super far from the basically free fitness center (yes, it is a position with Wal-Mart, I'm sure you guessed!) haha. The fitness center, for me, was a huge bonus, is that crazy? I am so excited for this change in my life, and I already have my Christmas trip back home planned. It's going to be great!!!

Old 07-14-2014, 07:59 PM

there should be a "k" after $600. But if anyone knows of homes under $600, please PM me.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:02 PM

And I need a thesaurus as I used the word "excited" three times. I am basically the female version of the Special in Lego Movie. "Everything is awesoooome!!" I'm thrilled!

Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times
Thumbs up Congrats and best wishes on finding the right home

I can't wait to hear about your new adventure !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalgirl36 View Post
ALRIGHT! He accepted the offer Friday, we are moving!!!! Coming out Saturday to house hunt and write an offer. VERY encouraged by the home that under $600 can buy, so I am not looking any higher than that. In fact, the lower, the better. My 12-year old is very upset to move, but I show her all the videos everyone posts, and she sits and stares at the computer (better than stomping away, yelling, NO! I'M NOT MOVING, I LIKE IT HERE!
Anyway, I AM SO EXCITED and so happy for everyone's advice to this spoiled California girl, lol. A little nervous for humidity and snow, but also excited. And Nita, we are coming with a pre-approval hoping to write an offer this weekend. I still really would like to stay in Bentonville, but I feel like I should at LEAST check out Fayetteville and Rogers to rule them out. I just don't want to be super far from the basically free fitness center (yes, it is a position with Wal-Mart, I'm sure you guessed!) haha. The fitness center, for me, was a huge bonus, is that crazy? I am so excited for this change in my life, and I already have my Christmas trip back home planned. It's going to be great!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers