Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 06:20 PM

120 posts, read 214,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
You're obviously very well off, or married well, whichever the case, and there are plenty of other people who are also very well off in that area. I believe that you will find a niche that you fit in, and if green/4 seasons/streams/lakes/hills are your thing, that's the place! It's not going to be hard to find "nice things" there. Rolex jewelers, etc. and all that are quite present.

Keep in mind that likely you may have thought AR was a place where brother married cousin married...and people lived in mobile homes, and yeah, I guess you could find that, but you're moving to a very affluent area. Wal-Mart re-locates people there who have larger yearly bonuses than the figures my W2 features.

Also, for whatever reasons, and I am not sure why, it's also a super AFFORDABLE place to live. Cost of living is in the dirt, and it's a NICE town. Roads are very nice (if a bit over-burdened by growth rate...they are being expanded). People are friendly. I think that you will like it.
Well, and without getting too personal, we're still relatively early in our career start, so hopefully one day we will be very well off. At the present time, it's paycheck to paycheck with 3 kids and student loans for both of us from law school. Mortgaging a $700k home out there is not a big deal considering it's what we spent here on a FAR inferior home! The goal is that this career move will give us that bump to have a little breathing room.

I am not a snobby person, so I don't like a bunch of pretentious Stepford fakes. We have that in EDH, and it drives me crazy as it did in Danville/Blackhawk where I'm originally from. I'm a laid back, nature-loving, beer-drinking girl who is a little OCD, so I like to do extensive research and obsess extremely over every detail way before I am prepared to make a decision

YES - that was my complete impression of AR. In fact, I find myself already defending it to my family every tie it comes up. It kind of makes me mad, actually, and I don't even live there. I am very excited to see it and visit everywhere people have suggested. I'll be revisiting this thread on the way out there next Thursday! Can't wait!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
During the winter, the bugs are not. During the summer...wear the spray. I doubt you have a moment's trouble from the wildlife. I have 35 acres near Rogers right off of Beaver Lake, and have camped on it several times, and the largest thing I saw was an armadillo. It sounded like an angry bear in the underbrush, though!
Armadillo?!!!! WOW!!!! Your property sounds AWESOME!!! I am looking forward to seeing Beaver Lake. We are a half mile from Folsom Lake now, but due to drought and the idiots running our water districts, lake levels are super low. We were able to walk across a portion of the lake this winter and see the roads of the former town there! CRAZY!

Old 05-27-2014, 09:31 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,958,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalgirl36 View Post
Well, and without getting too personal, we're still relatively early in our career start, so hopefully one day we will be very well off. At the present time, it's paycheck to paycheck with 3 kids and student loans for both of us from law school. Mortgaging a $700k home out there is not a big deal considering it's what we spent here on a FAR inferior home! The goal is that this career move will give us that bump to have a little breathing room. Most families of 5 live in $150-250K homes. I'd say you're VERY well off. That sounds like a VERY solid 6-figure income, to me. Your mortgage on a $700K home is a touch over half of my gross monthly income, to put it in perspective. It's completely unnecessary for your family size, but you can afford it, so, why not? My point is, you are in the upper 3% of America, based on what you are saying, and there are a lot of 1%'ers all the way to poverty, in that area. It can support your tastes whether it be Rolex, or Timex.

I am not a snobby person, so I don't like a bunch of pretentious Stepford fakes. We have that in EDH, and it drives me crazy as it did in Danville/Blackhawk where I'm originally from. I'm a laid back, nature-loving, beer-drinking girl who is a little OCD, so I like to do extensive research and obsess extremely over every detail way before I am prepared to make a decision
I think the area will appeal to you, then. I did not encounter anything of the sort, but beware, if you work for Wal-Mart, you will encounter segregation. It's catty from what I understand. I don't, so it's not a factor, but if you do, there will be drama, I've heard.

YES - that was my complete impression of AR. In fact, I find myself already defending it to my family every tie it comes up. It kind of makes me mad, actually, and I don't even live there. I am very excited to see it and visit everywhere people have suggested. I'll be revisiting this thread on the way out there next Thursday! Can't wait!!!!!!!
It's fine. Most people watch Deliverance and that's Arkansas, to them. Just like California is a bunch of gay guys shooting it out over cocaine in front of an abortion clinic in LA, and then there's Hollywood, to people not from California.

I have many times been asked to explain "why AR", and when I show people the crime-rate, poverty level (or lack, in that area), low unemployment, and pictures, they "get it".

Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Armadillo?!!!! WOW!!!! Your property sounds AWESOME!!! I am looking forward to seeing Beaver Lake. We are a half mile from Folsom Lake now, but due to drought and the idiots running our water districts, lake levels are super low. We were able to walk across a portion of the lake this winter and see the roads of the former town there! CRAZY!
Armadillo? That excites you that much? Haha! That just made my night!

Thanks, the property is why I am moving, in large part. Yes, I have heard of the water issues in California. I wish I had taken more pictures of Beaver Lake for you, but you can Google some up easy enough. This ran me about $1600/acre and has electric and DSL already on-side:

247 - YouTube

252 - YouTube

050 - YouTube
Camping with my former roommate

Also, they have an amazing public range in Rogers. Very nice. Here is my former roommate shooting his BCM w/one of my cans (yeah, AR is Constitutionally friendly like that):

Dustin @ Rogers, AR WMA Range - YouTube

Old 05-27-2014, 10:03 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,258 posts, read 8,624,571 times
Well I can tell you this Pilgrim, all of Folsom lake can fit in a cove Beaver...
Beaver is huge lake.....
On the shoreline of Beaver Lake is a little place called Monte Ne, there's a Restraunt there called the Monte Ne Inn. Awesome Fried chicken place, it's all they serve, no menus, just fried chicken. Taste like me ol Granny use to make.
Now I don't want to seem rude but if your from Blackhawk- Danville- El Dorado Hills, you just need to look at the McMansion areas....and be prepared for culture shock if you ever venture off the main paths......

Old 05-28-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Well I can tell you this Pilgrim, all of Folsom lake can fit in a cove Beaver...
Beaver is huge lake.....
On the shoreline of Beaver Lake is a little place called Monte Ne, there's a Restraunt there called the Monte Ne Inn. Awesome Fried chicken place, it's all they serve, no menus, just fried chicken. Taste like me ol Granny use to make.
Now I don't want to seem rude but if your from Blackhawk- Danville- El Dorado Hills, you just need to look at the McMansion areas....and be prepared for culture shock if you ever venture off the main paths......
Yep, I'm fully aware of that. And since all I know is new construction, fancy outdoor mall, McMansion housing, I'm prepared for a little shock. If it's too much for me, well, we know how this thread will wind up.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
It's fine. Most people watch Deliverance and that's Arkansas, to them. Just like California is a bunch of gay guys shooting it out over cocaine in front of an abortion clinic in LA, and then there's Hollywood, to people not from California.

I have many times been asked to explain "why AR", and when I show people the crime-rate, poverty level (or lack, in that area), low unemployment, and pictures, they "get it".

ACTUALLY - with three GIRLS and a husband who needs an office plus the need for a guest room, a 4-5 bedroom home plus office is very reasonable for us. And ideally, huge yard/property with large yard/pool good for entertaining (ie keeping the kids close by so they invite their friends over to OUR house so I can keep an eye on things!!) is the non-negotiable. So really, a family of five could theoretically survive in a 5th wheel, but since we don't have to, yes, why would we? And like I said, we are used to huge housing costs, so it is not a shock except insofar as how much it buys. We will still be saving if we're able to rent half that cost for the first 6 months, or the entire time.

I've looked at homes in the 300's and thought they were beautiful also, but I want something custom that doesn't look the same as everything else out there (same as here, everyone lives in Serrano CC and all the houses are one of three shades of brown, it's insane, and we bought an older home in a more established neighborhood precisely to avoid cookie cutter.) So, with all due respect, it might not be necessary, though I'd happily defend requisite room numbers for our family of five, and when I look at the types of homes I prefer, the square footage jumps to upwards of 6000 sq ft!!! That is crazy, but the upside is the home is beautiful with large lot and is unique looking (craftsman/Western/Ranch style are our favorite.) I'd be fine with 3000-4000 sq ft since it's less cleaning for me but still enough room for the children/teen to spread out and enjoy being home (my lofty goal as a parent)

Can't find any good sources for online home rentals. Any suggestions?

Old 05-28-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Beaver is huge lake.....
Yes, it is a HUGE lake when I pulled it up on google. Thanks for the suggestion on Monte Ne Inn.

If you're familiar with those suburbs, you know exactly where I'm coming from...I am trying to keep an open mind, expecting trade offs and some potentially massive compromises. It could be rough, but it might not be. We will see how open-minded I really am, I guess, if it's that rural/downtrodden outside the gated communities, lol. I've searched street views down the roads and all around to get an idea. Like I said, I've been online virtually every day (no pun intended!)

Old 05-28-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is a HUGE lake when I pulled it up on google. Thanks for the suggestion on Monte Ne Inn.

If you're familiar with those suburbs, you know exactly where I'm coming from...I am trying to keep an open mind, expecting trade offs and some potentially massive compromises. It could be rough, but it might not be. We will see how open-minded I really am, I guess, if it's that rural/downtrodden outside the gated communities, lol. I've searched street views down the roads and all around to get an idea. Like I said, I've been online virtually every day (no pun intended!)
My original opinion stands. This may or may not be the area for you, I have not been there enough to be sure, to be honest. You may well have plenty of circles to socialize in, as there is a lot of money up there. I just am not sure. Your last post above about having 3 girls and needing an office somehow requiring a $700K house is...not normal. However, I agree 100% with the "Because I can" opinion of it. I'm with you, there, why not? But keep in mind, it's absurd to justify from a "because it's fitting" standpoint. In the McMansion/Stepford Wife areas, you will right fit in, but outside of that? I'm unsure if it will be what you are used to. However, you may really find out that you love the other aspects of the area for their differences, as well, or maybe we are just seeing a tiny sliver of your personality on here, and you will naturally love the other aspects. I am very curious to see how this thread evolves!

Old 05-28-2014, 09:49 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,258 posts, read 8,624,571 times
Playing the Devils Advocate here, and I surely may be wrong but: I don't see a girl from Blackhawk liking anything in NWA except the McMansion areas.. And even then, the weather is very different from Nor-Cal... Hot and Humid, Cold and Wet.
I love it, and I'm from Nor-Cal but I'm a pickup truck driving, bass boat towing, country music listening, quarter horse riding, misplaced Missouri boy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers