Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 11:53 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times

Advertisements

^^That's actually pretty cool and it saves space in the back yard.

Like I said, my theories are just theories. I know north west Arkansas is like Little Rock in terms of well-to-do and affluence, but I think the overall lower-income nature of the state (it's not just a few areas bringing it down, more like a few areas keeping it from falling below Mississippi) has at least something to do with how everyone builds houses. Even when people have money, they have different priorities as to how to spend it.
The whole home ownership/property/community culture in Arkansas is different than some places that outsiders might be comparing it to. Not a bad thing, but I do think cultural attitudes has a big role to play in how homes get built, not just the type of ground they're built on, though that surely has something to do with it in some areas.

Last edited by northbound74; 06-21-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 12:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post

Like I said, my theories are just theories. I know north west Arkansas is like Little Rock in terms of well-to-do and affluence, but I think the overall lower-income nature of the state (it's not just a few areas bringing it down, more like a few areas keeping it from falling below Mississippi) has at least something to do with how everyone builds houses. Even when people have money, they have different priorities as to how to spend it when building a house.
The whole home ownership/property/community culture in Arkansas is different than some places that outsiders might be comparing it to.
and as I have said, it appears you know nothing about NWA, especially what has happened to the region in the past 10 or so years. People living here and I have lived all over the country are just like people anywhere when it comes to home ownership. Have you spent much time recently in say, Fayetteville, Bentonville, Rogers or Bella Vista? Do you have any idea what % of the population is from other regions of the country? Do you have any idea how culturally diverse the region is becoming? My guess is, nope!!!!

From your posts over the years it is apparent you have no love for AR. That's ok, everyone has their opinions, but your reasoning is way off base. While many parts, mainly the delta has severe poverty, the NW and Little Rock area has the population, thus what a map shows in area doesn't tell the whole story. As many know, one can use charts, studies or surveys to prove any point they want to prove; that doesn't mean it is right.

The OP asked about basements in the NW corner of AR, not about the poverty throughout the state.

Last edited by nmnita; 06-21-2014 at 12:09 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 12:08 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
Quote:

Like I said, my theories are just theories. I know north west Arkansas is like Little Rock in terms of well-to-do and affluence, but I think the overall lower-income nature of the state (it's not just a few areas bringing it down, more like a few areas keeping it from falling below Mississippi) has at least something to do with how everyone builds houses. Even when people have money, they have different priorities as to how to spend it when building a house.
The whole home ownership/property/community culture in Arkansas is different than some places that outsiders might be comparing it to.
Okay. I just thought we were like everyone else. We have upscale and lower scale and old and new.. so my area hasn't seen a tornado since 1971. And that's how long I have lived here. I did see one over Promenade once.. but it went back up.

I live in this direction through

Old 06-21-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Like I said, my theories are just theories. I know north west Arkansas is like Little Rock in terms of well-to-do and affluence, but I think the overall lower-income nature of the state (it's not just a few areas bringing it down, more like a few areas keeping it from falling below Mississippi) has at least something to do with how everyone builds houses. Even when people have money, they have different priorities as to how to spend it.
The whole home ownership/property/community culture in Arkansas is different than some places that outsiders might be comparing it to. Not a bad thing, but I do think cultural attitudes has a big role to play in how homes get built, not just the type of ground they're built on, though that surely has something to do with it in some areas.

By the way.. I see your handle is North Bound. My heritage is Sicilian so, I am more Yankee than you. My family lives in freaking New York.. so lay off. I have have a cousin that shoots photography for Martha Stewart in this magazine ( well several) but this one comes to mind..

If you are picking on us to be picking.. just don't get me pissed . It's rude and juvenile. You don't know who you are talking to, or where someone has lived, or who their relatives are.. Mine is the freaking "mafia". Christ.. really?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and as I have said, it appears you know nothing about NWA, especially what has happened to the region in the past 10 or so years. People living here and I have lived all over the country are just like people anywhere when it comes to home ownership. Have you spent much time recently in say, Fayetteville, Bentonville, Rogers or Bella Vista? Do you have any idea what % of the population is from other regions of the country? Do you have any idea how culturally diverse the region is becoming? My guess is, nope!!!!
Thanks to my job, I'm there quite a bit, believe it or not.
I do notice how it's the more upscale and expensive houses that have basements. The smaller and/or older ones (probably built by that culture I speak of), do not, for the most part.
Again, I think it has at least something to do with the traditional culture of the area.

Last edited by northbound74; 06-21-2014 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
By the way.. I see your handle is North Bound. My heritage is Sicilian so, I am more Yankee than you. My family lives in freaking New York.. so lay off. I have have a cousin that shoots photography for Martha Stewart in this magazine ( well several) but this one comes to mind..

If you are picking on us to be picking.. just don't get me pissed . It's rude and juvenile. You don't know who you are talking to, or where someone has lived, or who their relatives are.. Mine is the freaking "mafia". Christ.. really?

Sorry. I'm not trying to get anyone riled up. The question was asked as to why there aren't more basements in northwest Arkansas. I was born, raised and lived as an adult for some time afterwords in Arkansas. The old, traditional culture and attitude in the state is not something foreign to me. I'm not from the north. I've just tried to keep going in that general direction because I like cool weather and find summer deplorable. I do have plenty of experience living up there as well as the southeast, southwest, and Texas, whatever that is.
I stated a few times that it was all my theory and opinion, and I am certain I made it clear I meant NO malice by any of it.
I stand by my opinions. No one has to agree with me, and I'm totally cool with that.
By the way, I never stated that northwest Arkansas was currently in a state of poverty.

Last edited by northbound74; 06-21-2014 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Sorry. I'm not trying to get anyone riled up. The question was asked as to why there aren't more basements in northwest Arkansas. I was born, raised and lived as an adult for some time afterwords in Arkansas. The old, traditional culture and attitude in the state is not something foreign to me. I'm not from the north. I've just tried to keep going in that general direction because I like cool weather and find summer deplorable. I do have plenty of experience living up there as well as the southeast, southwest, and Texas, whatever that is.
I stated a few times that it was all my theory and opinion, and I am certain I made it clear I meant NO malice by any of it.
I stand by my opinions. No one has to agree with me, and I'm totally cool with that.
By the way, I never stated that northwest Arkansas was currently in a state of poverty.
Thanks for verifying. I do have an incredible temper heritage wise.. so I apologize.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,086 times
well I am also Italian from NY originally, but been away for years and years, and would not return there, only to NH, VT or to Maine, which all have insane property taxes, been out west now for years, and I love the Montana, Idaho conservative libertarian spirit, yet all the PNW and intermountain west, have been horribly expensive as far as home ownership, especially in my fav place, Couer Delane, Idaho, my dream town, is sadly become too expensive, hence the reason for me looking at other states, that are in my budget these days. I am not thrilled about leaving the northwest, and its wide open spaces and glorious mountain ranges, but I don't have much of a choice.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
well I am also Italian from NY originally, but been away for years and years, and would not return there, only to NH, VT or to Maine, which all have insane property taxes, been out west now for years, and I love the Montana, Idaho conservative libertarian spirit, yet all the PNW and intermountain west, have been horribly expensive as far as home ownership, especially in my fav place, Couer Delane, Idaho, my dream town, is sadly become too expensive, hence the reason for me looking at other states, that are in my budget these days. I am not thrilled about leaving the northwest, and its wide open spaces and glorious mountain ranges, but I don't have much of a choice.
Tontitown if you are looking in NWA. We have die-hard Italians there. Also, Chicagoans and several others. I can't tell you anything about Idaho because I am not attracted to it. NWA is is more like Colorado and in some aspects, CA and liberal. If you are on a budget, Bella Vista has older homes that are inexpensive and much like Springdale... but they are not 'historic', generally.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:04 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,494 times
There are homes in F'ville with basements. Not all may be "livable" as some are more like root cellars. But they do exist and many of the homes in the historic district have either a real basement, walkout basement or the root cellar type.

My theory on why more homes aren't built with full basements--economics and the soil. F'ville was built in/around the seven hills. There are many underground springs which can make waterproofing a basement very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers