Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 07:21 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times

Advertisements

To me, ES is all about the Historic District. If I couldn't live there in one of the old Victorians, then I wouldn't have any reason to want to live there. Not much going on except tourism. If you've got some kind of great idea for making a living in tourism, it would be the place to do it.

So, that's just my opinion....don't anybody attack me for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 08:59 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Is ES just completely devoid of reasons to visit, or have absurdly high crime or something?
Nah, re-read the post.

The first two "reasons" on the list are the primary reasons people live in Eureka. It is a very gay-friendly little town, though. It is "artsy" and its Victorian architecture and setting attract quite a few artists and "free spirits". Living in one of the old Victorian homes there actually seems like it would be great. A person just has to find a way to make a living there. Tourism is the only enterprise.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Whoah...that's semi-close to where I am moving to. Wikipedia throws back images of nice mountains/scenery. Looks like a place I would enjoy camping/hiking. However, your description is...not the most positive. What's up with ES? I mean, not that I am a homophobe or anything, but "if you are gay" sounds like a very poor reason to go somewhere other than a gay bar. Is ES just completely devoid of reasons to visit, or have absurdly high crime or something?
It is a beautiful little community but mostly catering to tourism during the summer and fall. In the winter it does close down pretty much. Like many artsy communities it is more liberal and more gay friendly than the rest of the region. I think if I were gay I would be content living in a community of people that accept me for what I am. I will add, don't get the idea everyone living in ES is gay; certainly that isn't the situation, but liberal communities and gay communities often go together.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:38 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,768 times
I too would live there just to be in one of those great historic houses. My husband and I go there once a year and stay in a B&B as our aniversary gift to each other. Never go on Valentine Day, I did once but I think it was a pride gay day or something like that. That is the only time I felt out of place so we go in January each year and have the whole town to ourselves.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:51 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I too would live there just to be in one of those great historic houses. My husband and I go there once a year and stay in a B&B as our aniversary gift to each other. Never go on Valentine Day, I did once but I think it was a pride gay day or something like that. That is the only time I felt out of place so we go in January each year and have the whole town to ourselves.

Even if you go on Valentines Day, no one is going to bite you. By the way.. gay pride is everywhere. These posts are getting to the point of people just guessing what NWA and Branson is all about, or have no clue. I don't have the patience to feed the 'clueless' and the 'fearful'. But it is true, you want the whole place to yourself with no people. ( Gay pride or not)

Old 06-30-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Even if you go on Valentines Day, no one is going to bite you. By the way.. gay pride is everywhere. These posts are getting to the point of people just guessing what NWA and Branson is all about, or have no clue. I don't have the patience to feed the 'clueless' and the 'fearful'. But it is true, you want the whole place to yourself with no people. ( Gay pride or not)
I think you might be taking this a little wrong: I think what she was saying simply is, regardless of Gay Pride being everywhere, which it is: some might feel uncomfortable or out of place during a Gay Pride celebration. I don't think people voicing an opinion on E Springs has anything to do with Branson or NWA as a community, just one small town.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:32 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think you might be taking this a little wrong: I think what she was saying simply is, regardless of Gay Pride being everywhere, which it is: some might feel uncomfortable or out of place during a Gay Pride celebration. I don't think people voicing an opinion on E Springs has anything to do with Branson or NWA as a community, just one small town.
I am not taking it wrong... there are gay people everywhere. So, gay people have one day that they identify themselves, to the oblivious that isn't aware of their existence. I also pointed out that the poster wants to go in Jan because they want the town to themselves. That tells me that he/she likes the town and wants to go in 'off season' when everything is cheaper. It has nothing to do with gays.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 06-30-2014 at 09:48 AM..

Old 06-30-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
I am not taking it wrong... there are gay people everywhere. So, gay people have one day that they identify themselves, to the oblivious that isn't aware of their existence. I also pointed out that the poster wants to go in Jan because they want the town to themselves. That tells me that he/she likes the town and wants to go in 'off season' when everything is cheaper. It has nothing to do with gays.
and you do not understand what others might be saying: I know, for myself I certainly am not judging gays or saying they do not have a right to their celebration: I am saying many who are straight might feel uncomfortable choosing a weekend when it is gay pride weekend. Lord knows, I am not homophobic by any stretch of the imagination: I have a gay foster daughter for heavens sake, I had a gay boss I loved and working in the travel industry for so many years I had lot of gay friends and gay clients.

yes, the off season part I understand. Our daughter, granddaughters an myself did a girls weekend in E Spings one year late in January; had a blast.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:58 PM

100 posts, read 164,693 times
Wow. I'm going to ignore most of the nonsense in this thread and help the OP. Just for reference, I'm a straight male in my late twenties and live 8 miles outside of town on the river. I live in ES for the scenery, small community feel, cost of living, diversity, and open-mindedness of the residents (in all regards). I've lived all over the country (Alabama, Northern California, North Carolina, and Philadelphia,) and this place spoke to me. It is a pleasant place to live. I especially love it during the winter months. Most of the good restaurants move to the holiday hours(close at 8 or so) but the town still has a great vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I've got one more semester and then an internship in fall and I'll have my degree. Most of the people with this degree work from home, I should just need internet access to work. I'm in the Fort Smith Arkansas area if you don't already know.
People always say the biggest problem with Eureka Springs is there is no work in the winter, I've heard it both on here and in real life. Well I should have that solved.
I've never been to San Francisco but I spent about 4 months in Bangkok which is probably one of the most sexually liberal places in the world and I really liked it.
As for grocery's I can get a lot of stuff off of the internet. How about fresh fruit and juices though?
- Yes we have a farmers market during the spring-summer-fall. There is also 3 grocery stores in the area with fresh produce (Hart's, Eureka Market, and SunFest).
I saw a sushi place there earlier this year, does anyone know if they deliver? Does anyplace deliver food other than the pizza hut or the Chinese place I see on google?
- Plenty of places to eat and many do deliver. Chelsea's, Island Pub & Pizza to name a few.
Supposedly I should expect to be making 40k a year (actually I just looked on simplyhired.com and its saying 61k on average which is great but I'll be entry level so I won't get my hopes up to much, I'll be happy if I get 35 or 40k my first year) and the field I'm in is supposedly going to grow a lot over the next ten years. I was talking to my doctor a few weeks ago and she thinks this field is going to explode over the next few years so hopefully It won't take long to get work.
- You will be fine on a salary of 30-60k. Most people in the area work in the service industry and make less than 30K a year.
Do the apartments have roaches? I'm not really interested in buying right now, I might just stay a year and then maybe go back to Thailand for a while. I might be open to renting a house if it didn't cost to much, I think my absolute high end that I would entertain for rent would be $1000 and ideally a lot less than that. It doesn't have to be anything really nice but I'm not crazy about hearing people through the walls either. I know the motorcycles are loud but I don't have to live on that main strip where all the stuff is.
- Your best bet is to find a privately owned rental via the local news papers (Lovely Citizens, and the Independent). Rent is going to vary from 500-1000, with the apartments downtown in worse condition than the ones out of town. I can't speak for all of the apartments, but I never ran into any roaches or anything like that. The sound should be improving as they've passed a noise ordinance.
I've found the Pivot Rock apartments, the Swiss Villa apartments, the Victoria apartments, and the Swiss Villa apartments on the internet. I've looked at all of them using google street view other than the Victoria apartments, I go to the address where they are supposed to be and I can't figure out where they are. There is a building right past studio 92 that might be them but it also looks like it might be a hotel. Anything else I should look at or anything I should avoid.
- I would also check out Holiday Island, as they have some condos for rent that are much nicer and cheaper. They're not downtown but within 10 minutes via hwy 23. The scenery is beautiful up on Holiday Island.
I might be able to go and look as early as next week (riding from the Fort Smith area) but it depends. Gas cost almost nothing the last time I went on my motorcycle but it was pretty was pretty uncomfortable by the time I got there because it wasn't made for long trips. I think I want to at least spend the night next time.
Its just something I'm thinking about I'm not committed to it. In theory I should be pretty much be able to go anywhere you can live on 40k a year.
There was a ES forum but Its down, I think it was something about the cost of hosting it.
- Geekfest.com is the ES forum but I would take their opinions with a grain of salt. They're mostly older folks with an obsure and delusional vision of the world (which can be found here as well).
You're welcome to send me a PM if you have any other questions.

Last edited by sdquarle; 06-30-2014 at 02:25 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 04:29 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
To me, ES is all about the Historic District. If I couldn't live there in one of the old Victorians, then I wouldn't have any reason to want to live there. Not much going on except tourism. If you've got some kind of great idea for making a living in tourism, it would be the place to do it.
We already have Victorians in Fort Smith, I can work from home apparently and I don't have any interest in working in tourism. Its not even why I got into this program, I was going for nursing and didn't get my application in on time so I switched majors, I didn't find out about working from home until later. It isn't just some lame brained idea this field is projected to grow a lot over the next decade, I've been going to school for it for a year and have a 3.9 GPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers