Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 06:04 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRoyalty View Post

CON: NWA is a bubble -- EVERYTHING revolves around Walmart and its Universities (Arkansas and John Brown) -- and as such, corporate/collegiate conformity is the name of the game in NWA.
Wal-Mart is the global Fortune #1. No doubt it throws its weight around in such a small metro, but I think you are overstating it. Wal-Mart and the Walton foundation are generous benefactors to the University of Arkansas. As a result, the business school in particular has a reputation that continues to climb. Their generosity has extended to funding the Honors College as well, which isn't beholden to the business school at all. The Walton Foundation has also allowed the cities to expedite the construction of a region-wide trails sytem, and also contributed to lots of local conservation projects, most recently Mount Kessler Regional Park. The foundation also supports the arts community. That support includes the Arkansas Music Pavilion, the Walton Arts Center (soon to have two campuses) and the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art. The WAC foundation funds the annual Artosphere festival as well. What do they get for that support? I can't say I see "corporate/collegiate conformity", however you choose to define that. I see gratitude and a willingness to cooperate with decisions made by the Walton Foundation, such as Fayetteville continuing to support their branch of the Walton Arts Center while a larger PAC is built in Bentonville. No doubt lots of locals aren't happy about them "abandoning Fayetteville" but its their money, and how do you criticize generosity of that scope and magnitude? The Waltons/Walmart have injected literally over a BILLION dollars into the arts locally over the past 5-6 years.

Quote:
There is a general lack of bona fide ethics, accountability and transparency emanating from the very top of these organizations which permeates throughout the social order and politics of the area; moreover, this pathology is reinforced by the "comfortably complacent" and "follow the status-quo" attitudes of the local sheeple.
I don't even know where to begin with this one. Point to specific scandals. All I am familiar with recently is the University of Arkansas's recruiting arm overspending by a few million dollars. They are in the midst of record-breaking growth, much of it dependent upon heavily recruiting students in Texas. Walmart gets sued and accused of lots of things, but that comes along with being the global Fortune #1. People in Fayetteville tend to be as critical of what they perceive as bad policy from Walmart as anywhere else of similar demographics.

Quote:
Career ascension largely depends on what church you attend or neighborhood you live in, especially at Walmart and among its vendors. NWA also has one of the highest divorce rates in America, not to mention a flagrant socioeconomic disparity gap...
I can't speak to any of that, having never been a part of the Walmart culture. I do see, however, Walmart struggling through the same perceptions that most multinational companies do with regard to meeting diversity goals, incorporating sustainability into their business-model, and being a good corporate citizen. Does NWA really have a high divorce rate? Please provide backing for that. "Flagrant socioeconomic disparity gap"? Compared to where? NWA is a rural area transitioning into a metropolitan area. There has been the infusion of a large number of high-paying corporate jobs into a community that until 30 years ago was largely rural and an economy that was agriculture-based. How is that (alleged) reality in any way "flagrant"? It is the organic result of a global powerhouse company being based in a rural area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 07:24 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,372,574 times
I don't live there, but one thing not mentioned that's a big pro for me from my visits, lots of windy backroads to go cruising. Driving some of them are like being on an amusement park ride. Don't go too fast though or you'll wipe out as some curves aren't very well marked.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
PROS: Low cost-of-living. 4 seasons. Scenic/outdoorsy. Amenities galore. Southern Lite. XNA. Eureka Springs. Espringdale! Downtown Fayetteville, especially during the summer (= fewer college students). Wooden Spoon. Nowhere to go but UP... if you are willing to play the game.

CON: NWA is a bubble -- EVERYTHING revolves around Walmart and its Universities (Arkansas and John Brown) -- and as such, corporate/collegiate conformity is the name of the game in NWA. There is a general lack of bona fide ethics, accountability and transparency emanating from the very top of these organizations which permeates throughout the social order and politics of the area; moreover, this pathology is reinforced by the "comfortably complacent" and "follow the status-quo" attitudes of the local sheeple. Career ascension largely depends on what church you attend or neighborhood you live in, especially at Walmart and among its vendors. NWA also has one of the highest divorce rates in America, not to mention a flagrant socioeconomic disparity gap...
and I will say to you: making statements about things like divorce rates need to be backed up. Can you till us where you are getting that information?

As for your overall view of NWA, you are entitled to it, but I think most would disagree with you. Of course there is WalMart influence, the headquarters is here, but there is a lot more to the area than Walmart and U of A. John Brown doesn't have much influence, it is too small and there are other major corporations here, other than WalMart. Religious views do not matter that much either. You seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder. That is too bad, it is keeping your eyes closed to the really positive things about living here. BTW, I do not think it is perfect. I miss things about NM, DC and Ca, but overall it isn't quite the way you see it I don't think. It is obvious from your few other posts, you are not a fan of Walmart.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:38 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Some people think all corporations are the devil.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:04 AM

100 posts, read 164,693 times
Quote:
CON: NWA is a bubble -- EVERYTHING revolves around Walmart and its Universities (Arkansas and John Brown) -- and as such, corporate/collegiate conformity is the name of the game in NWA. There is a general lack of bona fide ethics, accountability and transparency emanating from the very top of these organizations which permeates throughout the social order and politics of the area; moreover, this pathology is reinforced by the "comfortably complacent" and "follow the status-quo" attitudes of the local sheeple. Career ascension largely depends on what church you attend or neighborhood you live in, especially at Walmart and among its vendors. NWA also has one of the highest divorce rates in America, not to mention a flagrant socioeconomic disparity gap...
I work for a Wal-Mart vendor/supplier and have not experienced any of this.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:03 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,706 times
but Wisconsin has brutally high property taxes

Old 07-22-2014, 01:12 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,731,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I've lived in both states. Grew up in AR. Seriously considering going back to WI soon.
When I lived in Wisconsin, I noticed if you add up all the days it felt like Arkansas summer, you come up with something like 2-4 weeks total with numerous cool breaks in between.
Milwaukee only averages 6 days a year of 90+ temps. Fayetteville is 33.
I experienced 100 in WI a couple of times, but people talked like it was almost unheard of. This was the Milwaukee area, so of course it was the more "moderate" part of the state weather-wise.
Temps well into the 80's and 90's are the norm in Arkansas for at least 3-4 months out of the year with no real cool-down. One can expect 80+ from time to time from March until October. We visited family one year at Thanksgiving and it was in the 70's and very muggy. The air conditioning was on the whole time. On the other hand, I've seen it snow a little on Halloween.
Wisconsin summers are much like early-mid spring/mid-late fall in Arkansas, aside from those short heat waves.
Arkansas is warmer longer so you feel the humidity more.
Arkansas winters at most are like early-mid spring in Wisconsin with cool temps and occasional snow.
These are just personal observations. Nothing scientific.
Bug season is longer in Arkansas, but when they're out, the numbers seem similar. Chiggars are the one thing. Both have ticks and mosquitoes. Arkansas probably has a bit more in the way of snakes and the like.

Brown recluse spiders are also a big problem in NWA, and they can be dangerous. They like to hide in drawers and shoes too.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Brown recluse spiders are also a big problem in NWA, and they can be dangerous. They like to hide in drawers and shoes too.
I don't think I know of anyplace that doesn't have them. We had them in VA, TX and NM.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:06 PM

47 posts, read 117,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
but Wisconsin has brutally high property taxes
My mother pays 4200 a year just in property taxes. Thats ~ 350 a month. A car payment, or half a mortgage on a decent house just in taxes.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daterxies View Post
My mother pays 4200 a year just in property taxes. Thats ~ 350 a month. A car payment, or half a mortgage on a decent house just in taxes.
don't know what type of home your mom has, but our house is assessed at (which is not as much as the actual value) about $150,000. We have about 2000 sq ft and our taxes are about $900.00 a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers