Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:45 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,234,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
NW LA continuously scores in the top 10 worst places to live.

1 article is worthless.

When you have half a dozen saying the same thing, published by different sources...it's worth noting.
I am just not a believer in surveys, studies or polls. Regardless of how many are done, they are still subject to change at any time. Now, of course if you have 6 studies, all with similar results it carries a little bit more weight than one or two, but I still have to take them with a grain of salt. I think a couple examples that come to mind: 1-unemployment rates : often not considered are those no longer looking for work, those who are underemployed and those who have settled for part time employment. Another example: how many health experts said for years, low carb, high protein diets had too much fat, now many doctors are pushing them or what about cholesterol levels or satisfactory blood pressure? Even science is always proven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 04:31 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,960,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am just not a believer in surveys, studies or polls. Regardless of how many are done, they are still subject to change at any time. Now, of course if you have 6 studies, all with similar results it carries a little bit more weight than one or two, but I still have to take them with a grain of salt. I think a couple examples that come to mind: 1-unemployment rates : often not considered are those no longer looking for work, those who are underemployed and those who have settled for part time employment. Another example: how many health experts said for years, low carb, high protein diets had too much fat, now many doctors are pushing them or what about cholesterol levels or satisfactory blood pressure? Even science is always proven.
Okay, fair enough, but check out the NW LA murder rate, crime rate, condition of our roads, cost of living, school systems, and so on and so forth, and a picture emerges.

This time when I was in NWA, I tried kindof hard to find a "bad neighborhood" (bad roads, or shady characters, or ANYTHING!). I really couldn't. It kindof made me chuckle. I tried very hard to find a road there that was within city-limits that was "bad". Couldn't. Here, I've literally seen roads that would have ripped the oil-pan out of my stock-height 370Z that I used to drive, as one example. I had to have that car re-aligned every 5-10K miles, or it would shred tires because the roads kept knocking alignment off.

Anyway, I was finally bitten by some chiggers while out hiking and shooting on my property. They are much milder creatures than we have here in NW LA, and I can see why you reacted the way you did when I described the annoyance of them. They kindof itch a little and look like an ant-bite. Here, it's angry whelp and fire under the skin type itching that will make you pour boiling water over it just for a half hour's relief. No comparison. *glad* I could make the comparison, now, lol!

Also, people in Shreveport, LA where I live are just...much angrier? Come down for a visit if you EVER start to wonder if MWA is a nice place compared to others. I'll buy you a beer or something and you can go home feeling like you live in a small slice of heaven...but you better hurry. I'm out of here in a few months!

Old 09-19-2014, 06:06 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,928,688 times
Quote:
Okay, fair enough, but check out the NW LA murder rate, crime rate, condition of our roads, cost of living, school systems, and so on and so forth, and a picture emerges.

This time when I was in NWA, I tried kindof hard to find a "bad neighborhood" (bad roads, or shady characters, or ANYTHING!). I really couldn't. It kindof made me chuckle. I tried very hard to find a road there that was within city-limits that was "bad". Couldn't. Here, I've literally seen roads that would have ripped the oil-pan out of my stock-height 370Z that I used to drive, as one example. I had to have that car re-aligned every 5-10K miles, or it would shred tires because the roads kept knocking alignment off.

Anyway, I was finally bitten by some chiggers while out hiking and shooting on my property. They are much milder creatures than we have here in NW LA, and I can see why you reacted the way you did when I described the annoyance of them. They kindof itch a little and look like an ant-bite. Here, it's angry whelp and fire under the skin type itching that will make you pour boiling water over it just for a half hour's relief. No comparison. *glad* I could make the comparison, now, lol!

Also, people in Shreveport, LA where I live are just...much angrier? Come down for a visit if you EVER start to wonder if MWA is a nice place compared to others. I'll buy you a beer or something and you can go home feeling like you live in a small slice of heaven...but you better hurry. I'm out of here in a few months!
May I ask what happened to the 370Z? May husband wants one so bad!

Old 09-19-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
May I ask what happened to the 370Z? May husband wants one so bad!
I traded it in. To be honest, I did not really like it and got rid of it rather than change the tires again. It was just....blah...and it was always having issues with the brakes. Power steering whined loudly. Mileage was horrible for only 332hp. Handling was not what I like for the street (you need to be throttle on. Can't really trail brake the 370 or you spin them. For the track that's fine. But I like a street car to have the flexibility to slow on the brake in a long sweeper if an animal etc. Presents down the road or its a corner you underestimated half way through....with the 370z, you just have to keep feeding it throttle and hope the lateral adhesion holds up if that corner is longer or tighter than you thought.), and steering responsiveness was very rubbery with a lot of wallow for a 3300# sports car, imo.

In short...I was disappointed with my purchase except for the interior.

MSRP 43k.
KBB trade value 2 years later with 35k miles 24.5k
I got about 27k for it with bald tires.

The dealership and nissan north America finally got the brakes fixed. They figured out that the hat design nissan uses is very susceptible to severe warping if you don't carefully hand tighten the lug nuts. So...always do that to avoid my nightmares and shaking issues. The power steering pump that whined like a supercharger was termed "normal". It sounded horrible like an old 80's junker in parkinglots. Got some odd looks. People hopefully thought it was belt whine from a lazy supercharger install.

No more nissan for me.

If you want to spend 30 to 40k. Get the 2015 Mustang gt. If you want a bit more, corvette.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I traded it in. To be honest, I did not really like it and got rid of it rather than change the tires again. It was just....blah...and it was always having issues with the brakes. Power steering whined loudly. Mileage was horrible for only 332hp. Handling was not what I like for the street (you need to be throttle on. Can't really trail brake the 370 or you spin them. For the track that's fine. But I like a street car to have the flexibility to slow on the brake in a long sweeper if an animal etc. Presents down the road or its a corner you underestimated half way through....with the 370z, you just have to keep feeding it throttle and hope the lateral adhesion holds up if that corner is longer or tighter than you thought.), and steering responsiveness was very rubbery with a lot of wallow for a 3300# sports car, imo.

In short...I was disappointed with my purchase except for the interior.

MSRP 43k.
KBB trade value 2 years later with 35k miles 24.5k
I got about 27k for it with bald tires.

The dealership and nissan north America finally got the brakes fixed. They figured out that the hat design nissan uses is very susceptible to severe warping if you don't carefully hand tighten the lug nuts. So...always do that to avoid my nightmares and shaking issues. The power steering pump that whined like a supercharger was termed "normal". It sounded horrible like an old 80's junker in parkinglots. Got some odd looks. People hopefully thought it was belt whine from a lazy supercharger install.

No more nissan for me.

If you want to spend 30 to 40k. Get the 2015 Mustang gt. If you want a bit more, corvette.
WOW! I'm going to show this to my husband. Maybe he'll change his mind!
I have always loved Mustangs since I had my 1965, back in the day. Sorry I didn't keep it.
Thanks for the info.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
WOW! I'm going to show this to my husband. Maybe he'll change his mind!
I have always loved Mustangs since I had my 1965, back in the day. Sorry I didn't keep it.
Thanks for the info.
They look good and feel solid. You really only see the shortcomings when you push the car. If you don't mind a car that is relatively front bias, it's not so bad. I'm used to 50/50 and hated a car that demanded throttle on through corners so much.

Doing 75 mph I averaged about 25mpg highway. My 505hp z06 managed 26.

The car feels far heavier than it is, to me.

The best drivers car I've been in in a long time other than the vette was a subaru brz. I guess I just don't have much good to say about the 370 other than the chassis is very solid/rigid and the Rev match almost makes up for the notchy gritty gearbox. It did look good and got more compliments than my c6 z06 though.

Ymmv, what cars has your husband owned that he liked?

Old 09-22-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
They look good and feel solid. You really only see the shortcomings when you push the car. If you don't mind a car that is relatively front bias, it's not so bad. I'm used to 50/50 and hated a car that demanded throttle on through corners so much.

Doing 75 mph I averaged about 25mpg highway. My 505hp z06 managed 26.

The car feels far heavier than it is, to me.

The best drivers car I've been in in a long time other than the vette was a subaru brz. I guess I just don't have much good to say about the 370 other than the chassis is very solid/rigid and the Rev match almost makes up for the notchy gritty gearbox. It did look good and got more compliments than my c6 z06 though.

Ymmv, what cars has your husband owned that he liked?
Subaru, Toyota 4 runner. He has never really had a "sports car" and he has never driven the Z. He has just liked them since the 350 came out. I guess he likes the looks of it!

My son has had a couple older Z's. They were nice. Maybe the older ones were better!

Old 09-22-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Subaru, Toyota 4 runner. He has never really had a "sports car" and he has never driven the Z. He has just liked them since the 350 came out. I guess he likes the looks of it!

My son has had a couple older Z's. They were nice. Maybe the older ones were better!
Well, it sounds like an emotional/aesthetic purchase, then. Those defy specs and technical data. If he wants one, he should get one, basically. The 2012 and later came with an oil cooler from the factory, just a heads up.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Well, it sounds like an emotional/aesthetic purchase, then. Those defy specs and technical data. If he wants one, he should get one, basically. The 2012 and later came with an oil cooler from the factory, just a heads up.
Thanks for all the info. If I move to NW AR I'd like to have a Subaru all wheel drive!

Old 09-23-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. If I move to NW AR I'd like to have a Subaru all wheel drive!
That is part of why I went with my Jeep. All-time AWD. My next vehicle will likely be a Subaru, though. I am thinking about waiting 1-2 years for the 2.0XT Forester's to depreciate. After my 43K 370Z turned into a 24.5K 370Z, I said screw a new car. My Z06, I bought for 67K new (watched them build it), and traded in a year later for around $60K, so that skewed my perceptions BADLY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers